Gigabyte MZ31-Ar0 No Display/POST

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ProfKenobi

May 16, 2019
I'm a complete newbie at most of this stuff, so I apologize if I missed something obvious, but I'm hoping to get some help with my build:

Gigabyte MZ31-AR0
EPYC 7401P
4x16GB Gskill F4-2400C16Q
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850 PSU

I'm getting no display or beep or response of any kind when I power on the board. (Aside from fans and LEDs). The BMC LED comes on for ~20s, then starts flashing (indicating "ready"). Other than that, I can't seem to get any POST or display (via VGA).

Thanks for the help!

james2019

Oct 11, 2019
I'm a complete newbie at most of this stuff, so I apologize if I missed something obvious, but I'm hoping to get some help with my build:

Gigabyte MZ31-AR0
EPYC 7401P
4x16GB Gskill F4-2400C16Q
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850 PSU

I'm getting no display or beep or response of any kind when I power on the board. (Aside from fans and LEDs). The BMC LED comes on for ~20s, then starts flashing (indicating "ready"). Other than that, I can't seem to get any POST or display (via VGA).

Thanks for the help!

Is this issue resolved, I have also had a problem with using a couple of non-ECC consumer memory, I thought the ECC is optional right? but it seems from the above reply, we SHOULD use ECC memory?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
More importantly: use RDIMM, not UDIMM.
From the spec sheet alone I would conclude that ECC UDIMM is not supported.

Hermann

Jul 8, 2020
Im having the same issue. Due to delivery problems I had to buy ECC RDIMMs with 3200MHz (Kingston KSM32RS4/16MEI). Could it be that this is too fast, as there is no display output /POST? But shouldn't the RAM be throttled down to the highest speed supported by CPU and Mainboard?

I checked the spec sheet of the Kingston KSM32RS4/16MEI. According to this it should support data transfer rates of PC4-2666 (max. speed supported by Mainboard) and PC4-2400 which is the max. supported speed of the AMD EPYC 7251 CPU I'm using.

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
With memory transfer speed set to "auto" in the bios, it should automatically run your memory at a speed that the CPU supports.
So first order of business is a CMOS reset, to make sure the auto setting (which should be the default) is enabled.
If that still doesn't work, make sure to update the bios to the most recent version. Memory compatibility is usually improved with later versions.

Hermann

Jul 8, 2020
Thank you for your quick reply.
I already tried a CMOS reset but still it doesn't POST. How can i update the bios when it doesn't POST? I don't see any button/jumper to flash the bios from an USB-Drive.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
IPMI.
Also, in case you do not populate all DIMM slots on your board, check the manual for which slots are recommended with fewer DIMMs.

Hermann

Jul 8, 2020
I haven't worked with IPMI yet. And as this is a complete new server build I wasn't able to configure IPMI/BMC in the BIOS. Is it set to obtain its IP from DHCP by default? Which software do i need to use iKVM with this Mainboard? Can I use Supermicro IPMIView or does it only work with boards from Supermicro?

I indeed do not populate all DIMM slots. But i also tried using only one DIMM in slot A1 as recommended in the manual. Same result.

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello Hermann o/

You get a web interface provided by the system baseboard management controller (BMC). You access it via a web browser.

Connect the board to your router using a cable plugged into the socket above the USB connectors (Reference Diagram). This is a dedicated port for management of the server.

Once connected, you need to look at your router connection page to see what IP it has been assigned. It helps to know the MAC address for the BMC so you can tell which device it is.. This MAC address will be found on a sticker on the board. The MAC address will look like this D8-B3-A7-D5-C2-96. The IP address will look like this 192.168.0.12

Once you have the IP address open a web browser on a computer using the same router and type the ip address into the search bar

You should then see the Web interface.

This is the User Manual for the BMC

This guide will help you to flash the BIOS

If you get stuck I'm sure someone can help.

Best regards and good luck

Reactions: alex_stief

Hermann

Jul 8, 2020
Thank you 68k, you helped me a lot.

I managed to get into the BMC Webinterface. It shows an sensor error. VSOC_DUAL critical power 0 Volts. What is the VSOC_DUAL Sensor? Is this the CPU Power supply?

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello @Hermann

I'm not familiar with the Voltage rail names on the AMD CPUs. I know that VSoC is a Voltage for the CPU SoC . I'm not sure however what these are for.

I can try to google for an AMD whitepaper or a datasheet.

Best regards

GFOOTY

Feb 22, 2024
Thank you 68k, you helped me a lot.

I managed to get into the BMC Webinterface. It shows an sensor error. VSOC_DUAL critical power 0 Volts. What is the VSOC_DUAL Sensor? Is this the CPU Power supply?
Did you ever get the Critical power figured out? I am running into this issue.