Gigabyte MD71-HB0 won't post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi there. I bought this motherboard last week and today I wanted to put all the components in and make it running. But the motherboard won't post. It turns on right after the PSU is plugged in and cannot be turned off either with the power switch or from IPMI. IPMI can be accessed, but the CPU info is wrong and there is no control over the board. I wanted to upgrade the BIOS (in IPMI I could see that it came with the old F20 bios), but obviously that's not possible as it cannot be turned off (only by switching off the PSU). I tried different CPUs and RAM, but no success. Any ideas? Thanks

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
UPDATE: I was able to shut down the motherboard and flash different bios, but it seems it didn't carry out properly (although it went all the way to 100% and stated a successful update) because I still can't POST and in IPMI, it still says that the bios version is F20.

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
The BIOS version information and CPU information in IPMI are only updated after system successfully posts.

If you cannot switch off there must be something seriously wrong. It basically indicates the CPU or chipset is completely not working. Check all power connectors, especially CPU power connectors. It can also be caused by messed up BIOS (e.g., missing embedded controller firmware)

Reactions: tesla100

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Thank you Zhang for your quick response!

I must add that the issue that I couldn't turn off the motherboard was caused by the J1 switch, which was not in its default position. After correcting that, I can turn on and off with the power switch and from IPMI as well.

The other thing I did was to update the BMC firmware from 1.26 to the latest version 1.98 and surprisingly enough, this change is indeed reflected in IPMI.

I have cleared CMOS several times, I also put the J2 switch to BIOS RECOVERY MODE, but so far no luck, I can't get it POST.

Maybe you're right, maybe the board is completely bricked.

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello @tesla100 o/

Is there any way to see a POST code in the IPMI?

Also, are you using one or two CPUs?

I notice from the manual the Primary CPU (CPU 0) is the one farthest from the Rear IO

Please don't be offended if you know all of this or have checked it. I'm just thinking through some possibilities.

Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: tesla100

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hello 68k.

I am not offended at all, on the contrary, thank you very much for your message.

I tried different CPUs and memory combinations, in the CPU0 socket only and in both sockets as well.

I don't know where to check the POST code in IPMI...

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi. Not much, only CPUs, RAM, heatsinks, LAN cable connected to the IPMI port and D-Sub cable connected to the VGA port. Before I tried with two different graphics cards in all PCI-e slots and no luck.

Yes, I checked the pins in both CPU sockets and to my eyes, they look OK:

But unfortunately, and although I cannot be sure about that, it seems that the board fried one of my CPUs (hopefully not more)... Because one of those CPUs I tried in that board won't post in my Supemicro test board. :(