GIGABYTE MB10 Datto Motherbaord Xeon D-1521 with I/O Shield - $130 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pir2

Aug 3, 2011
Bought one of these.

1. Didn't have RAM previously to test so just powered on to see what happens.
  2. Booted, had a static IP set (192.168.33.33?) for BMC but screen said No Ram
  3. Got some RAM, turned it on, stuck on "Please wait for BMC initialize..." with an 06 code
  4. Unplugged PSU, removed BIOS battery, waited overnight (~8hours)
  5. Turned it on, and it POSTed. Able to get into IPMI, etc
  6. It's still on, will see what happens.
Update: BMC can be updated with the firmware here: MB10-DS4 (rev. 1.3) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE B2B Service

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
hey guys... i know several of you got some defective motherboards from this "techassetsales" ebay seller. I bought a total of 6 motherboards (not all the same models) and 3 of them were no good. As I was trying to quickly test them, I didn't pay too close attention when I found them not working, I just pulled them out of my test rig and moved on to the next board. Last night, I started taking a closer look at the boards that were defective, and I'm finding strange signs of what seems like it might have been water damaged. Like corrosion in weird places that you'd not expect to find corrosion; rust on inside of serial port, around several SMD components that are about 1-2 inches away from the 2032 battery, inside the 2032 battery socket, etc. Also, weird smudges of white powder that look like it was displaced in fluid form and then dried into a powder. The same powdery substance in the crevices of the I/O shield. do you guys see something similar on any of your defective boards?

also, I bought a variety of boards from Gigabyte, ASRock, and Supermicro from this seller, but all of them had the same BIOS password "R@str", which based on earlier post, seems to suggest all of them were from Datto devices. The ones labeled Datto are obviously so, but the Supermicro boards had no markings of "Datto" but had the same BIOS password. since Datto sells DR solutions, I'm kind of wondering if these systems came from the remains of a DR event?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I haven't looked at my boards really but I did actually notice one of the IO shields has what looks like rust or corrosion on it.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
There's some rust around my VGA port...didn't see anything on the board.

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Just a idea du to past experience with a XeonD supermicro board but did any one take a thermal camera pic. Here is a thermal of the DATTO card I just got. Seem to be lucky for now as it is working.flir_20181209T181431.jpg

Bellow is the supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F that was shorted
flir_20180425T151356.jpg 20180426_110226.jpg
Better thermal camera
20180426_110330.jpg

Reactions: e97

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
sparx and RageBone,

Just to make sure that all know/note that this chip was on my supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F and not the DATTO card of this thread. Not 100% sure if the chip was defective or if a chip powered/connected to it was the issue. Just know that the output net was shorted to GND. SuperMicro changed the card for a other one. Original had a XeonD 1540 new one is a XeonD 1541. From memory symptom was partial IPMI and no post but fan turning 100%.

Just wanted to give a other option to look into on the problematic Datto cards if they had access to a thermal camera.

Reactions: RageBone

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If I wanted to use one of these in a SuperMicro E800 chassis does anyone know if the 4 pin to DC power cord works on these?​

Last edited:

Vitreoushumours

Jun 11, 2019
I realize this is a very old thread. I hope someone is still active who knows about these. I was challenged with re purposing a datto s3b500 as a video server. As far as I can tell it is a same or similar board to the ones being discussed in this thread. I have a new OS on it and it works, all besides the ethernet ports, did anyone get it's Ethernet working, and if so where did you get the drivers? Printed on the board is MB10-Datto and datto.com/hardware rev 1.0. I cannot find any info to speak of about the ethernet itself (Besides the datto page listing 2x1GbE for the model.)

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
did anyone get it's Ethernet working, and if so where did you get the drivers? Printed on the board is MB10-Datto and datto.com/hardware rev 1.0. I cannot find any info to speak of about the ethernet itself (Besides the datto page listing 2x1GbE for the model.)
The version of the board I got is from Asrock not Gigabyte. It's Datto but it matches an Asrock board.
I could not install the Asrock bios by default but it may work if I force it. At this point I don't want to risk it. The networking drivers installed automatically using windows update. I am guessing you should be able to install Intel drivers. Mine came with 2x 10G RJ45 ports based on Intel.

pir2

Aug 3, 2011
I realize this is a very old thread. I hope someone is still active who knows about these. I was challenged with re purposing a datto s3b500 as a video server. As far as I can tell it is a same or similar board to the ones being discussed in this thread. I have a new OS on it and it works, all besides the ethernet ports, did anyone get it's Ethernet working, and if so where did you get the drivers? Printed on the board is MB10-Datto and datto.com/hardware rev 1.0. I cannot find any info to speak of about the ethernet itself (Besides the datto page listing 2x1GbE for the model.)
DATTOMB10.PNG

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Get drivers for intel x552/x557 ethernet devices.
That should help identify the nics.

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
I recently bought a working Datto NAS with the Gigabyte board and managed to get it into the no boot state by flashing the MB10-DS4 BIOS, i.e. video signal dies after the BMC initialisation screen (06).

Fortunately, the backup BIOS was working on my board: I changed the undocumented jumper directly below 33 on this PDF which has a "BIOS_RCVR" silkscreen on the board, and the system booted. The backup BIOS showed the version of F12, which was the version I had just flashed, so it seems part of the BIOS update has worked. It also has a Recovery menu but without any documentation. I tried putting the jumper back, the system booted correctly once and went back to the broken state the next time.

I didn't want to risk flashing the BIOS again in the recovery mode (not sure if it would overwrite the backup), but I can use the backup BIOS to power off the system, put the jumper back and update via the BMC. (BMC cannot flush the BIOS while the main system is on.) However, I set the ME_UPDATE jumper by mistake this time and the system booted with the main BIOS. I didn't realise at the time, so I flash the DRU image via the BMC anyways.

TL;DR: try booting with ME_UPDATE in the 2-3 position. If it doesn't work, use BIOS_RCVR to properly power off the machine and update via BMC.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Apologies for reviving an old thread. Does anyone have the pinout for the front header connector? I tried using Gigabyte documentation but it doesn't seem to match up.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
Purchased a used DATTO unit on ebay with this board and having an issue - voltage sensors showing the following - how do I find what component is busted that is causing VCCIN to be 0 and 1V05 to be ~.5v instead of 1.05?
1604180103260.png