Gigabyte GA-7TESM in Supermicro CSE-835TQ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mastertech

Jul 28, 2018
Hello all,

I'm new to server building and have an issue.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-7TESM dual 1366 motherboard and a Supermicro CSE-835TQ 3U case, both refurbished. The chassis has dual redundant 1200w p/s.

I've installed everything correctly, except the OH LED and Intrusion Detection. I cannot find the location for these plugs. I've looked at the Gigabyte Manual and there's no listing for either, unless I completely missed it.

When I turn the system on, I get the Power Supply Fail. No matter what I do, I get the Power Supply Fail light. I've pulled each psu out and still get the Power Supply Fail.

I'm thinking the Power Distribution block is the cause.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
For he first two missing headers I wouldn’t worry too much. Not all motherboards have every possible connector. Unless you really need either it’s not a problem as they aren’t required for operation.

For the PSU failure LED I have a couple of questions:

- Does your system actually have an issue operating? Does it fail to actually turn on, or is it just the PSU failure LED being active that has you worried?
- How are you connecting the front panel connector from the chassis to the motherboard? Supermicro has a specific pinout that doesn’t work with most other motherboards so an adapter is required to make sure they are connected correctly. It’s possible that the failure LED is connected to LED pins that should be on. Quickly looking at the manual for your motherboard I don’t see a pin for front panel that explicitly states PSU failure.

If it’s just the LED it’s likely a non-issue that can resolved easily. If the system isn’t working at all I’m sure we can help you go through the normal set of troubleshooting steps, but I won’t bother you with those until we know you need them as they might waste your time.

mastertech

Jul 28, 2018
When I plug the system in, I get the power led. According to the manual, this is normal because it's showing there's power.

When I turn the system on, all the fans turn on and there's the POST beep. I have no video output from the onboard vga.

I have installed matched X5600 Xeon processors, and 48Gb of DDR3 ECC Ram.

Just installed an external video card and nothing. I get the single beep indicating it's turned on and all the fans spin.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Do you have all three power connectors connected? There should be 1 x 24 pin connector and 2 x 8 pin connectors. That’s a pretty common one that can cause what you’re seeing. Another easy to try is to reseat memory and CPUs.

Otherwise it’s fun to start testing against known good hardware to reduce the possible problem components. A first test could be the morherboard/cpu/ram with a known good power supply. You could also try a known good MB/CPU/RAM in the chassis and see if they work. Desktop PSUs and MBs can stand in reasonably well for these tests, so if you have a spare workstation kicking around that can get you pretty far.

mastertech

Jul 28, 2018
So, apparently this board is very picky as to where the RAM is installed. Removed all 48Gb and installed just 24Gb and it works. Thanks for the help. Now I can migrate my aging server over

Reactions: Tha_14