Gigabyte enterprise support - does it even exist?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Been almost 2 weeks now since I submitted 2 tickets to their support. And they did not even make it to the "processed" stage yet.
What's going on there? Have you had similar experiences? Is this a problem specific to certain regions?

Forgot to mention:
This was not intended as a "vent your frustrations about broken hardware from Gigabyte thread".
if anyone has suggestions how to get in touch with them, I'm all ears. So far I used their ticket system. I called a support hotline I found, which refuses to deal with anything non-consumer, and referred me back to their ticket system. And I had a look Gigabytes US and UK forums. They are mostly dead, with the occasional unanswered thread from someone having the same problem.

Last edited:

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
I haven't tried their enterprise side, Gigabyte has been on my S*** list since ~2005. I had 3 P4 systems based on their 8KNXP board, every one caught on fire where the power regulators connected to the board with basically an ISA slot that couldn't handle the current. The units that came back from repair caught on fire too then they shipped me a lower end board basically saying tough luck because they didn't have the board I had bought any more. I spammed every executive's email I could find till one offered me a newer board if I paid extra for it which I stupidly agreed to. I didn't build that system right away since there was a new socket and memory but when I did it constantly crashed. I trashed the Gigabyte board, moved the components to Supermicro and had no issues.

Flash forward 10 years and I acquired a system with an E3 Haswell and IIR Z67 based Gigabyte MB. Any 3 memory slots would work stable, add a 4th dimm and random crashes would happen. It was a known issue and Gigabyte released multiple BIOS's to address it but gave up before it was fixed. That CPU went in a Suprmicro board too with 4 dimms and was pulled from firewall duty for upgrades just a couple of months ago.

• Haha
Reactions: tinfoil3d

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
also on my shitlist, I had no less than three x58 era boards where the ATX connecter had cold solder joints that manifested as random reboots during any significant power draw on the 12v rails. it was apparently a "known issue". that ****ed me so bad that for me they're now alongside seagate under "companies that could do a complete 180 and become the most reliable company in the world and I still won't touch them with a 10ft pole"

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
i've gotta be a super lucky guy, have two consumer-grade motherboards, one with unknown uptime but definitely still works, other one around 12 years total uptime, 2 or so power cycles a year, works fine. Both purchased in 2009. But fire and explosions aren't new with them it seems, just take a look at GamersNexus investigation into exploding PSUs and how company reacts to that.