Gigabyte 2u GS-R22PDT quad node 2011 systems NIB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Retsam

Dec 26, 2015
I'm thinking this may be a great way to consolidate some supermicro servers, but I need to make sure I have everything straight before I can let myself dive in.

GS-R22PDT (rev. 1.0) | Rack Server | GIGABYTE

Just a sanity check. These have VGA/2 USB on the front and NOT serial, correct? It seems Gigabyte got mixed up with their specs, or at least I hope so.

Do these come with eight heatsinks? One for each CPU in each node.

Gigabyte lists these as supporting one hh/hl expansion card and one "Mezzanine I/F PCIe x8 (Gen3 x8 bus) connector" in each node. I know of what a Mezzanine card is, but I have never dealt with them. I can't seem to find anything online to tell me if they are vendor specific, if there are types, or if all Mezzanine cards are interchangeable.

I may just give up my external DAS and switch fully to Storage Spaces Direct, but I would like to be able to keep using my DAS if possible. Do you know of any 10 gig Mezzanine NICs compatible with this server or a Mezzanine HBA with external connectors?

It's almost 3 am. I'm sure I will have more questions later, but that's all I have for now. Thank you for your time.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Check your PM. I've been interested in these types of servers (supermicros mostly) for a long time and didn't know that gigabyte made these.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Spoke to Dan, he was on vacaction. These servers come with a PCI Express riser card.

A mezzanine card allows you to take the PCI Express slot and change it to right angle, move it to a different part of the chassis, make it X16 from X8 for card size support, etc. Think of it as an extension cord for PCI express slots. Sort of.

That being said I'm waiting to hear back from Dan about price with RAM+CPU+Shipping and pick one of these suckers up.

Retsam

Dec 26, 2015
Thanks for the info, but looking at mezzanine cards from supermicro, they seem to be non standard pci-e cards for places that can't fit a standard card. Basically what you said, but I think a little closer to what it is. There only one I saw on the HCL for this server is made by gigabyte and I can't find it for sell anywhere I trust.

I'm still interested (it's a good deal for a 4 in 2u), I just don't see me being able to get an hba and a NIC jammed in there. I wonder if there in an hba/10gb nic combo card I have not seen before.

Spoke to Dan, he was on vacaction. These servers come with a PCI Express riser card.

A mezzanine card allows you to take the PCI Express slot and change it to right angle, move it to a different part of the chassis, make it X16 from X8 for card size support, etc. Think of it as an extension cord for PCI express slots. Sort of.

That being said I'm waiting to hear back from Dan about price with RAM+CPU+Shipping and pick one of these suckers up.

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
I am sorry for the delay, was out of town.

Attached is a pic of the riser, it would indeed be hard to add two cards. there is a second pci-e slot, but the riser isn't included and it looks to be propriety.

I had someone ask about cpus and ram, I can do:

8x e5-2650 8 core cpus c2 steping for $40 ea/ $320

8GB 1333mhz reg ecc at $17 a chip

Thanks for looking!

Attachments