Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I do occasionally enjoy just staring at bandwidth graphs with all the big numbers, remembering the days of accessing data via tape cassette and grinning...

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Happy New Year. has anyone tried these 12 SFP+ ports? They are about 870USD in Australia, same family as the X1052.
Dell X4012 Switch, Optical Fiber - 12 x SFP+ Slots - 2 Layer Supported
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to post that in my opinion the Dell x1000 / x4000 series switches are NOT ready for prime time. As I mentioned in my previous posts I picked up an x1052 and ran in to a lot of issues trying to configure it (simple things like VLANs / IPs) which Dell admitted was due to the fact that this model has a new GUI that they see as the primary method of configuring these switches as opposed to the CLI. With that said they stripped out a lot of the CLI functionality / help. The sad thing is you can't even set a gateway for the default VLAN through the GUI and have to go in to the CLI... Um what?

Don't even get me started on whatever the heck L2 Plus is (Not just L2 but not full L3 is how they explain it).

There are a lot of GUI Inconsistencies / bugs that I have ran in to like today it works fine with Firefox (our standard browser) then next time you log in it doesn't work. It does seem to work with IE and Chrome more reliably.

After getting my 10G Testing done I went to migrate my POE Connections over to this switch and wouldn't you know the POE portion of the switch wasn't working. I called up Dell and watched their Tier 1 and Tier 2 Enterprise Support fumble their way around the switch GUI / CLI each one of them doing the same things over and over and over. After a few days of this I demanded that they replace the switch which they did and the POE is working. Dell admitted that they were not quite where they wanted to be with these switches.

While these seem to be perfectly acceptable 10G Switches at a pretty decent price. I am not sure that they are ready for prime time and don't know how reliable they will be.

Reactions: Chuckleb

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Are there any alternatives for 10GB swithes with more than 4 SFP+ and around $500? The only one I see being discussed is LB6M but it seems to be a bit of a hit and miss on if you can get into the web portal after plugging it in to configure. I'm looking for something preferably with 6 ports.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
If you can live with XFP instead of SFP+, there's the Fujitsu XG2000. The seller that has them listed at $999.99 has offered them to me for $300 if I take the transaction off eBay. Not gonna name or link them because that's an eBay TOS violation.

There are also a couple on auction with low bids right now.

No idea if they have a web interface.

Sep 22, 2015
If you can live with XFP instead of SFP+, there's the Fujitsu XG2000. The seller that has them listed at $999.99 has offered them to me for $300 if I take the transaction off eBay. Not gonna name or link them because that's an eBay TOS violation.

There are also a couple on auction with low bids right now.

No idea if they have a web interface.
That seems...scammy.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Could try offering more to keep it on eBay. I never bothered because $300 was the max I was willing to pay on eBay for an XFP switch.

There's also a single XG2600 SFP+ up on eBay for a while. I've offered $400 several times and been ignored as the asking price has dropped down to $625.

Fujitsu (XG2600) 26-Ports 10GbE Ultra-low Latency Switch
Hmm, interesting. This may be closest to what I can see as an alternative. Looks like it also has a web UI. It's a little unfortunate it's not L3 though.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Any switches out there that won't levitate my house with more than 4 - SFP+ Ports? I need 6 (would like more) but won't want to spend a ton (I know who does).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Fanless 4 or more 10G SFP or SFP+ and 8-12 1G ports would be a dream!

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Any switches out there that won't levitate my house with more than 4 - SFP+ Ports? I need 6 (would like more) but won't want to spend a ton (I know who does).
Fanless 4 or more 10G SFP or SFP+ and 8-12 1G ports would be a dream!
Literally counting the days for a 4+ SFP+ port switch with 12-24 1G copper ports. Money has been sitting in the bank just waiting. Not a fan of the D-Link offering which appears to be the only option that fits that criteria at this time.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Thanks @Patrick! Any word on how loud/quiet these X10 series are?
I have the x1052p and it has dynamic fans. I wouldn't put it in my livingroom but it is pretty quiet as long as the ambient temp is good. When you first power it up / reboot it you will get full fan speed then it quiets down to a very reasonable level. I should actually measure it but i wouldn't worry about it at all.

Keep in mind that I have the POE Version and I am using several of the POE Ports to power devices so I am probably using more cooling than a non POE Version.

Just keep in mind that this switch has a lot of GUI Bugs and the CLI has been "dumbed down" to favor the GUI. It can be very frustrating to get configured (don't even think of using Firefox) but once you do it seems to be pretty stable. I should also mention one of my biggest complaints so far is that the SNMP Information provided by the switch isn't anywhere near accurate. I am getting alarms from Spiceworks that one of my 10g ports is passing something like 50gb of traffic (wouldn't that be nice?).

This is a known bug that they are working on.

I am not suggesting that you buy this or don't buy this... It is a good price, the hardware is very well made and it does fit the needs of what you are looking for at a pretty good price but just know what you are getting yourself in to.

Also the lifetime warranty is a One & Done replacement. Once you get the replacement unit you will NOT be able to get another one (except within a short amount of time if the replacement is bad). You can try and add an extended warranty but buying one after the fact costs more than the switch itself so...

The one and done is NOT unique to dell this is just something that I experienced with them. I got mine from a Dell Partner and it was bad / defective, I got it replaced and I had no warranty left. I have to fight to get the entitlement back which they ultimately did do.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I have the x1052p and it has dynamic fans. I wouldn't put it in my livingroom but it is pretty quiet as long as the ambient temp is good. When you first power it up / reboot it you will get full fan speed then it quiets down to a very reasonable level. I should actually measure it but i wouldn't worry about it at all.

Keep in mind that I have the POE Version and I am using several of the POE Ports to power devices so I am probably using more cooling than a non POE Version.

Just keep in mind that this switch has a lot of GUI Bugs and the CLI has been "dumbed down" to favor the GUI. It can be very frustrating to get configured (don't even think of using Firefox) but once you do it seems to be pretty stable. I should also mention one of my biggest complaints so far is that the SNMP Information provided by the switch isn't anywhere near accurate. I am getting alarms from Spiceworks that one of my 10g ports is passing something like 50gb of traffic (wouldn't that be nice?).

This is a known bug that they are working on.

I am not suggesting that you buy this or don't buy this... It is a good price, the hardware is very well made and it does fit the needs of what you are looking for at a pretty good price but just know what you are getting yourself in to.

Also the lifetime warranty is a One & Done replacement. Once you get the replacement unit you will NOT be able to get another one (except within a short amount of time if the replacement is bad). You can try and add an extended warranty but buying one after the fact costs more than the switch itself so...

The one and done is NOT unique to dell this is just something that I experienced with them. I got mine from a Dell Partner and it was bad / defective, I got it replaced and I had no warranty left. I have to fight to get the entitlement back which they ultimately did do.
Pete thank you so much for such a detailed review of this switch. I have a tough decision because I have maybe a month tops to purchase a new switch so I can't really hold out much longer and it doesn't appear any better options are coming down the pike anytime soon.

My experience with regard to switches lies with Cisco and I therefore like CLI for configuration. So this heavy reliance on GUI configuration for switches is not attractive to me.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Pete thank you so much for such a detailed review of this switch. I have a tough decision because I have maybe a month tops to purchase a new switch so I can't really hold out much longer and it doesn't appear any better options are coming down the pike anytime soon.

My experience with regard to switches lies with Cisco and I therefore like CLI for configuration. So this heavy reliance on GUI configuration for switches is not attractive to me.
I agree your choices are pretty limited, I would have loved to get the Cisco 500X But that is a lot of money and from what I hear it is loud unless you replace the fans which I am not a fan of (ha!) but on a used one maybe.

I think that the Dell will eventually get there but they admit it is a work in progress. I am comfortable using / relying on mine in my home network. If this was for a company I would still be fairly comfortable with the stability but the inability to properly report bandwidth utilization from the GUI / CLI or SNMP is pretty concerning to me.

It does still have a fully functional CLI but it is very limited with it comes to help (especially contextual) and does seem to vary from the older dells. When I had my unit replaced I gave them remote access to the switch and I watched 3 different "Engineers" Fumble their way around the GUI and CLI, it was somewhat entertaining but also scared the crap out of me that they had no clue what they were doing.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I agree your choices are pretty limited, I would have loved to get the Cisco 500X But that is a lot of money and from what I hear it is loud unless you replace the fans which I am not a fan of (ha!) but on a used one maybe.

I think that the Dell will eventually get there but they admit it is a work in progress. I am comfortable using / relying on mine in my home network. If this was for a company I would still be fairly comfortable with the stability but the inability to properly report bandwidth utilization from the GUI / CLI or SNMP is pretty concerning to me.

It does still have a fully functional CLI but it is very limited with it comes to help (especially contextual) and does seem to vary from the older dells. When I had my unit replaced I gave them remote access to the switch and I watched 3 different "Engineers" Fumble their way around the GUI and CLI, it was somewhat entertaining but also scared the crap out of me that they had no clue what they were doing.
I've worked with Dell engineers a few times and I can echo those sentiments.

Man this is a hard decision...