Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
If there was a 16+ port fanless switch that supported both 10 and 2+2,5Gbit speeds (on more than just two ports or so), I would have bough it instead :D

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
If connect a device with 2.5GBase-T or 5GBase-T support into an "older" 10 Gigabit switch's SFP+ port loaded with an adapter module that does that state 2.5/5/10Gbase-T support, but switch itself doesn't explicitly state 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T support, then the link is going to operate at 1 gig, correct?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
If connect a device with 2.5GBase-T or 5GBase-T support into an "older" 10 Gigabit switch's SFP+ port loaded with an adapter module that does that state 2.5/5/10Gbase-T support, but switch itself doesn't explicitly state 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T support, then the link is going to operate at 1 gig, correct?
That depends on the switch, at minimum it won't report properly in most cases.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Seems I hit some resitance on this idea on this forum but I'm trying again:
ES-16-XG and Aquantia AQS-107, 802.3bz/NBase-T SFP+ Multi-gigabit Transceiver | Ubiquiti Community

I have not seen any proof that these NBASE-T capable SFP+ modules sync at anything but 10GBps on the switch side regardless of the copper side link speed. Servethehome only shows the computer side link speed in their test of these modules using a NBASE-T network card but never talks about the switch side.

That is how they are compatible with existing switches on the market as the SFP+ spec doesn't support anything but 1.25 or 10Gbps physical link rate. So yes a SFP+ module can "lie" to the switch as the switch really doesn't care how the SFP+ module transmits or receives the data as long as it gets the data.

I have an idea: I know people who frequent this forum have SFP+ switches and one or two of these NBASE-T capable SFP+ modules. Why don't you just test it and report back to us so we can be done with it. Just open up the port status in your managed switch interface and create a screenshot and post it here. I have zero need for 10Gbps copper myself as I went optical and DAC 2 years ago so I'm not gonna bother with that technology myself.

Last edited:

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
I have Netgear MS510TX and use it with one of these.
SFP+ module supports 2.5G and 5G, but switch does not support these speeds on SFP+ port. so link is working on 1Gb or 10Gb only.
NIC is Asus XG-C100C (Aquantia AQC-107)

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
You have to be sure it in fact does support 2.5/5 Gbps. Just because it says so on the product description on eBay doesn't make it true. It can be erroneous. It claims to be a drop in replacement for the original Netgear AXM765 module which in fact doesn't support NBASE-T speeds.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
Any thoughts on the FS.COM's S3900-24F4S? I am close to pulling the trigger for a core switch purpose as I am unaware of similarly priced alternatives with 4xSFP+ and plenty of SFP ports (the wiring in the house is entirely fibre optics - with the exclusion of WiFI APs and security cameras). Two things that are very important - inter-VLAN routing at 10 G speed and DHCP relay. I get the feeling that is exactly where MikroTik's switches fall short - they are awesome as L2 switches, but the moment you ask anything else, my understanding is the performance falls precipitously.

(side note: PoE side of things will be handled by a Cisco 3560G, so I don't need PoE capability).

EDIT: If CRS328-4C-20S-4S+RM supports inter-VLAN routing at 10G speeds and DHCP relay, I'd be probably buying that....but I cannot find that info yet.

Last edited:

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Thanks for the confirmation. Does Mikrotik have any parts in their inventory with ASICs?
It's not a question of the system having the ASIC. It's a question of using the ASIC for L3 and upwards.
As far as SwitchOS (currently 2.11) and RouterOS (currently 6.46) are concerded, the answer is no. Routing is completely done in CPU.

Whether this may change in RouterOS 7? No idea.

Reactions: Aluminat

Pakna

May 7, 2019
It's not a question of the system having the ASIC. It's a question of using the ASIC for L3 and upwards.
As far as SwitchOS (currently 2.11) and RouterOS (currently 6.46) are concerded, the answer is no. Routing is completely done in CPU.

Whether this may change in RouterOS 7? No idea.
Thank you, this is valuable info - all things considered, it seems like the S3900-F4FS is the option to choose. Kind of unfortunate that the Mikrotik opted to go with L2 only switches but that's what it is.

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
Are the QNAP switches picky about the transceiver module vendor branding for their SFP+ ports? Like on the QSW-308S. Or will they accept pretty much any one like a 10GtekStore from Amazon?

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
They are not picky. Remember the QNAP switches are dumb switches, so no mgmt.
Thanks, I'm looking at the new QSW-M408 series now which is managed, but we shouldn't expect them to suddenly become picky about the cable branding now I'm guessing.

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
Looking for a cheap, managed, L2, > 12 RJ45 ports and 4 SFP+ 10Gb ports fanless or very very quiet switch to replace my CSS326 since I need one or two more SFP connections.

Zyxel XGS1930-28 and TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ v2 are being considered. Any other ideas?

randman

May 3, 2020
Also look at the ZyXEL XS1930-10. I'd say they're quiet but not very very quiet. The cooler the environment is, the quieter they are.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm using the TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ myself although it's not had any patches for a while and might be considered as old-hat. One alternative I did consider was a badge-engineered fs.com switch, the S3900-48T4S or S3900-24T4S (fanless), although I believe they got in trouble for spamming threads.

As far as the T1700G-28TQ goes, I've been very happy with it. I did install the 180206 beta firmware to fix a memory leak present in the 170608 production firmware and it's been running sold ever since; there's also a 190108 firmware for the v3 switch (only available on the australian site for whatever reason, spotted by a fellow StHer) that reportedly runs just fine on the v2 but I've not tried using it myself yet.

Reactions: rootpeer

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
I'm using the TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ myself although it's not had any patches for a while and might be considered as old-hat. One alternative I did consider was a badge-engineered fs.com switch, the S3900-48T4S or S3900-24T4S (fanless), although I believe they got in trouble for spamming threads.

As far as the T1700G-28TQ goes, I've been very happy with it. I did install the 180206 beta firmware to fix a memory leak present in the 170608 production firmware and it's been running sold ever since; there's also a 190108 firmware for the v3 switch (only available on the australian site for whatever reason, spotted by a fellow StHer) that reportedly runs just fine on the v2 but I've not tried using it myself yet.
Great info, thanks a lot! I also had the fs.com in mind and forgot to mention but I am a bit concerned since it is probably a low volume product and might not be that thought out. I don't know, that might just be in my head.