Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
Yes 10G copper all resolved now and older units are covered by warranty. I am connecting mine to a different switch XS708T, and also to my Xeon-D boards.

You can run the controller in a VM or on a Pi, or you can buy the Cloudkey.

Warranty is short but if it's a design defect that affects a large number of units you can probably swing a replacement device if you ask very nicely.
How do you like the XS708T? Compared to the Ubiquiti?

Also, tried finding CPU HW specs for the US-16-XG. Any info on that data?

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
EDIT: Both mentioned in another thread: 10gbe copper switch

Netgear GS110MX (unmanaged)

Netgear GS110EMX (web managed)
Note: Prices are converted from SEK to US Dollar, and include Swedish VAT. Prices may be lower elsewhere. Both 10GBit ports also support 2,5Gbit and 5Gbit.
Any idea how loud these are?

Although I really need one with 4 10Gbase-T ports.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
realized I never posted this here

brocade ICX6450 - $100 on ebay
  • 24/48 1gbE copper (PoE available)
  • 4x 10gbE SFP+ (also work great with $50 Mikrotik S+RJ10 SFP+ modules for 10gbE over copper as well)
  • full layer 3, IPV4 + IPV6 routing, VRRP, OSPF, everything you'd expect on an enterprise switch
  • 22w power draw with a couple ports active
  • 1 small fan, nearly silent
brocade ICX6610 ~$250 on ebay (sometimes much less with the best offer feature)
  • 24/48 1gbE copper (PoE available)
  • 16x 10gbE SFP+ (also work great with $50 Mikrotik S+RJ10 SFP+ modules for 10gbE over copper as well)
  • 2x 40gbE
  • full layer 3, IPV4 + IPV6 routing, VRRP, OSPF, BGP, VRFs, tunnels, everything
  • 100w power draw with a couple ports active
  • audible - about the same as an R710, little quieter than LB6M
The 10gbE ports require a license to unlock, but licenses are free for *existing* STH members (have some left over from work)

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I pumped out some emails to Trendnet to follow up on the Aquantia chips which were (apparently) going to offer around $30 US per port.

Aquantia have reference designs with 4/5/8 ports, I believe it's their new chips (well, 2016)
Sadly only one product has been released, with 8 ports and it's $600 US (Over 2x the price estimated)

Really want a 2.5/5/10Gb-BASE-T switch with 4 / 5 ports, under $300 US - be damned if it exists yet.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Your url is bad.

Idid find a cheap buffalo on Amazon but I don't need 8 ports :/ rather pay 2/3 the price, for half the ports.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Can I ask ... why? I am trying to think of a use case for such a switch but am failing.
Because I only have a handful of devices which could use that kind of speed and I want to keep costs down?
This forum is called servetheHOME not servetheOFFICE or servetheTOP500COMPANY
?

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Sorry, I was not aware that there were any consumer 2.5 or 5 Gbps products on the market. Plenty of 1 and 10. Hence I was curious of your use case.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
There are now network cards which do 1/2.5/5/10 under $80$ US ( at least 4 cards that I'm aware of )

There are also, apparently, to be switches released which will be much cheaper. So they claim. As cheap as $30 US per port for 10Gb
I'd gladly pay 'only' double that for a 4 port, but alas, no traction.

SantaSCSI

May 22, 2011
About to pull the trigger on an ebay Brocade 6450. Any other recommendations for a silent switch with 4 SFP+, 16~ 1Gb RJ45?

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
About to pull the trigger on an ebay Brocade 6450. Any other recommendations for a silent switch with 4 SFP+, 16~ 1Gb RJ45?
The 6450-24 is virtually silent with an aftermarket fan. There's some PWM circuitry whine when the fan spins down but the fan itself is basically silent. I haven't spent any time figuring out how much load the switch wants to avoid PWM noise entirely but if you want absolutely silent you might want to do so.

I used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WLQAKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Note: The PoE models are hotter and louder, I didn't replace the fans in the -24p that I use downstairs in the basement as it seemed like it benefits from the extra airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14 and wsuff

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The 6450-24 is quite quiet with replaced fans. There's some power circuitry whine when the fans spin down
Do you know how old the chassis is? the caps/inductors in the PSU might be aged quite a bit if it's whining, on my two test units they were dead silent with no PSU whine (and I only know this because I ran them with the fan completely unplugged)

Reactions: Tha_14

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Do you know how old the chassis is? the caps/inductors in the PSU might be aged quite a bit if it's whining, on my two test units they were dead silent with no PSU whine (and I only know this because I ran them with the fan completely unplugged)
I honestly can't tell, there's no date code anywhere on the label.

Mine makes zero power circuitry noise with the fan unplugged and with the original fan running at 100% on boot; I only hear noise from the power circuitry when fans spin down to low speed. I've got it running now (around 10' away) and it's pretty close to silent, you'll only hear it if you're sensitive to very high frequency.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I honestly can't tell, there's no date code anywhere on the label.

Mine makes zero power circuitry noise with the fan unplugged and with the original fan running at 100% on boot; I only hear noise from the power circuitry when fans spin down to low speed. I've got it running now (around 10' away) and it's pretty close to silent, you'll only hear it if you're sensitive to very high frequency.
ooh interesting, that would be the PWM drive circuitry on the main board then. I'll have to try and listen for it next time

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
ooh interesting, that would be the PWM drive circuitry on the main board then. I'll have to try and listen for it next time
Yeah, throw a lower RPM fan on the header and you'll hear it. I'm going to try a higher CFM fan I think, the switch is pushing ~60C at idle right now and it's quieter than any of the quiet machines near it. I might try some sound damping mat on the lid of the case and see if that cuts some of the PWM noise too, it's right at the top of my hearing range and while it's not loud it's somehow shrill.

I wouldn't be dicking with the switch nearly as much if I weren't reading and sleeping in the same room, it's pretty damn quiet right now.

Edit: the PWM noise is literally the only thing I can hear from the switch, in any room but a bedroom I don't think anyone would be able to hear it at all.