Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The documentation (http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/T1700G-28TQ(UN)_V1_UG.pdf - page 39) states that "The stack ports of T1700G-28TQ can be used for stack connection or as normal SFP+ port". Doesn't that mean you could get 6 SFP+ ports total if you only use a single cable to stack the switches.
the way i read the documentation, it seemed like they recommend a ring topology for stacking, so I assumed 2 SFP+ ports would be used for that between 2 switches. but, like i said, i haven't actually tried yet. maybe worth doing a video on?

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Well, it remains to be seen if it works out (and I'm not holding my breath) but there was a supposedly new T1700G-28TQ show up on amazon. The store was "new - no reviews" and it only had one switch available, but I took a chance.

$238 + $9 shipping.

My 3 mellanox Conectx-2 cards show up Friday, so the timing is good.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Well, it remains to be seen if it works out (and I'm not holding my breath) but there was a supposedly new T1700G-28TQ show up on amazon. The store was "new - no reviews" and it only had one switch available, but I took a chance.

$238 + $9 shipping.

My 3 mellanox Conectx-2 cards show up Friday, so the timing is good.
whoa! good luck on that man... i've recently been running into several scams on Amazon and Ebay. if you get it though, awesome deal!!!

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
Maybe you'll get it and think its brand new and good, but its actually a refurbished/used unit in bad condition that breaks in 3-6 months after the return window runs out. Or maybe it "works" but has some problem and can't reach full speed or operates in some other degraded fashion that you may not even notice for a long time until debugging a production issue. And maybe its an old one and doesn't have a valid warranty anymore. Or maybe its completely counterfeit.

Also I saw something in reviews mentioning the existence of version 1 and version 2 of this switch. You may be getting an older version.

Seriously guys if the price is too good to be true and its not coming from a reputable seller (i.e. direct from amazon, newegg, etc..) then its a scam. You're not saving anything by dealing with problems, paying return shipping, and/or getting stuck with a lemon and having to buy it again a second time.

You might still be able to cancel the order while its in-flight. Recently amazon let me cancel an order being shipped and they actually stopped the shipment and had it rerouted back to the warehouse. If thats not an option you can call fedex/ups or whoever and try to refuse the shipment.

Otherwise you're going to be dealing with the third party seller and their return policy. Plenty of room for even more fun and games there...

Last edited:

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Ha.

Email from amazon:
We're writing to inform you that your order has been canceled. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. In most cases, you pay for items when we ship them to you, so you won't be charged for items that are canceled.*

Cancel Reason: Technical Problem

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Looks interesting. Doesn't seem to be fan-less though. :(
Yeah... found it on eBay for $300.... Seems to be the cheapest 4 port I have found thus far... curious how loud it is. I'm still thinking about waiting for the CRS317 from MikroTik, but who knows when that will be.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
That's about as different piece of hardware (compared to the Planet or TP-Link) as you can get. No need for 1000BASE-T?
True.... but I have a CRS in my lab already. Really what I need is a way to tie together several devices that have SFP+ (4 right now) and then tie that into the main network. Honestly any of these devices "would" work. But moving forward having extra capacity may not be bad. The Planet GS or the TrendNet offer 4 SFP and a bunch of 1GB. This would get all of my current 10G SFP+ ports tied together and to the main network, but wouldn't offer much for the future. The CRS317 on the other hand could be used for my rack and would give me 16 SFP+ ports (4 for right now and then 12 left moving forward) and a 1GB to tie into the main network. The other MikroTik option is the CRS328-24P-4S+RM ... which would give me the 4 SFP+ ports i need now... but also not much for future....

But really anything would work for the next year or so for me....

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Some help?

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I think I have my mind made up on the T1700G-28TQ. But, I want to use the "think-pool" in this thread to make sure I'm not missing an option. I think if it drops to below $300 again it becomes a no-brainer. But, at it's current price ($372) perhaps there is something else I should consider?

I'm currently using a 48 port managed netgear POE. I have 2 LAGS (ad) and about 30 of the ports full. I have less than 24 of them actually in use though. I just have all the jacks in the house 'lit'.

I've put MNPA19-XTR 10GB Mellanox Connectx-2 cards in my primary workstation, server, NAS and pfsense router. I have a dedicated DAC between the primary workstation and server on it's own 10Gbe subnet dedicated to file xfers. Both machines also have a 1Gb connection to the primary switch/subnet. The NAS and pfsense box have a 1Gb connection to the sfp ports on the switch (NOT 10gb and NOT sfp+) using their Connectx-2 NICs.

Mandatory Features:
FAN-LESS.
≥4 sfp+ 10Gbe ports.
≥16 1Gb ports.

'Nice to have' features.
Managed (CLI or HTTP)
802.3ad support

Goals:
Reduce noise.
Get all my 10Gb devices connected at 10Gb.
Simplify my network by removing the dedicated 10Gb link between my workstation and server, utilizing the new switch

So, any options other than the T1700G-28TQ? I'm open to a used unit, if that helps. I know the limiting factor here is fan-less. But, if it wasn't for the noise I'm not sure I'd be making a change here anyway.

I appreciate your thoughts.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The only other switch I know that's fanless with sfp+ ports is one from hp (HP OfficeConnect 1420). But it has only 2 sfp+ ports and is unmanaged.

Edit: removed the link

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
For what its worth, I can confirm vlans are working fine on the Tp link switch. I just setup a guest wifi network with my ubiquiti AP on a separate vlan. The idea is that the guest network only has internet access is entirely blocked from any of my home network resources. No issues with the switch.

I've seen a lot of threads with people asking about the stacking feature. While I don't have 2 or more of these to test, its one of the major advertised features of the device and I see the various pieces around configuring it in the web ui. I don't have any reason to believe the stacking wouldn't work. Compared to just connecting several switches the usual way, it looks like the stacking feature really just a way to simplify the maintenance of multiple Tp link switches into a single web ui. Essentially you get to configure the whole stack as if you have one big switch.

Consequently, the stacking feature might be the main reason why this switch ended up having 4 10SFP+ ports. 2 ports are claimed when you stack, leaving nothing left over for the usual 2 port situation. 10g for the SOHO and Homelab market is really becoming an affordable reality and only 2 ports are

Last edited:
Reactions: Craash

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The only other switch I know that's fanless with sfp+ ports is one from hp (HP OfficeConnect 1420). But it has only 2 sfp+ ports and is unmanaged.

Edit: removed the link
Less 1G ports and the poster your answering wants but the Cisco 3650CX-12PD-S & 3650CX-8XPD-S have 2 x SFP+ and are fanless if your reply was just a general comment about fanless and SFP+ ports.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Well, my impatience got the better of me. After reading the reviews on grooves I decided it wasn't worth it and went ahead and ordered the T1700G-28TQ from amazon. $365 to my door. That means it should drop in price tomorrow. ;)