Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
ETA on ShopBLT is 23 September!

Ubiquiti is known for announcing then developing/ building a product in some cases. This may be one.
I pre-ordered one last week and the ETA was 08/02 and today I saw the same as 6ou it's been changed to 09/23. Disappointing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Crazy that you can find info about the new 10G Ubiquiti Switch everywhere but on the actual Ubnt.com site. I am really curious about this switch though. I might consider adding one to my network as a secondary / redundant switch for my iSCSI Connections.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
ShopBLT ETA has been updated to 8/25/16.

Would this switch be a good replacement for LB6M? I enjoy that switch quite a bit, but it is noisy and I can't get the routing functions to work. It looks like this switch can't do it either... would power savings/noise reduction be worth another $600. Hmm.

linenoise

Aug 17, 2016
Thank you everyone. I have been searching high and low for at-least 24X1GB ports and 4X10 GBe ports. The IBM Rackswitch G8052 matches my need and can be had on ebay for around $200 if you are lucky enough to find/win the auction.

I gave up and ordered the Trendnet TEG-30284 which I found for $300.62 on jet.com Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Last edited:

resistor

May 17, 2016
I went with the Trendnet as well, and have been pretty happy with it so far. It's a bit noisy for my taste, but it was easy to swap the fan with a much quieter Noctua.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Hmmm, anyone here have experience with QSFP to SFP+ cables ?

My question is if is possible to use the SFP+ end in a SFP port on the switch, so it would end like this:

QSFP -> SFP+ -> SFP

Its feasible ?

Thanks.

hanakuso

Aug 20, 2016
Hmmm, anyone here have experience with QSFP to SFP+ cables ?

My question is if is possible to use the SFP+ end in a SFP port on the switch, so it would end like this:

QSFP -> SFP+ -> SFP

Its feasible ?

Thanks.
Generally, this will not work. The electrical interface on the backend of QSFPP ports tends to be 4x10Gb bi-directional lanes, which then usually connects to a SerDes and/or ASIC. Again, typically, the lanes to the SerDes/ASIC needs to be clocked identically for the system to operate correctly.

A QSFPP to 4x10G SFPP break out cable can be thought of as breaking out those 10G lanes from the QSFPP port individually. Regardless of what the port is connecting to, the silicon behind the port is still expecting lanes of 10Gb. While I've seen gearboxes that switch between 1G and 10G lanes, I've yet to see it on silicon that is designed for 4x10G native.

LT;DR: No.

Reactions: DouglasteR

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Generally, this will not work. The electrical interface on the backend of QSFPP ports tends to be 4x10Gb bi-directional lanes, which then usually connects to a SerDes and/or ASIC. Again, typically, the lanes to the SerDes/ASIC needs to be clocked identically for the system to operate correctly.

A QSFPP to 4x10G SFPP break out cable can be thought of as breaking out those 10G lanes from the QSFPP port individually. Regardless of what the port is connecting to, the silicon behind the port is still expecting lanes of 10Gb. While I've seen gearboxes that switch between 1G and 10G lanes, I've yet to see it on silicon that is designed for 4x10G native.

LT;DR: No.
Thanks for the explanation !

linenoise

Aug 17, 2016
So I got my Trendnet Teg-30284 and my 1st impressions are good. Except for 1 minor item. In my lab I'm using Solarflare SFN5122F NIC's I moved my ESXi hosts to the swicth without issue. But as soon as I plugged my NAS into the Switch it BSOD'ed with Kernel_Security_Check. It's 100% a compatibility issue with this machine and the switch. I pulled all RAM & hardware except these cards and it still occured, So I tried all 3 NICS in the box and had the same issue (yes bios and drivers are all updated). I also tried 4 different brands of SFP+ DAC's. MY "NAS" Server is a Windows Server 2012 R2, Running NFS and Starwind VSAN.

I have a different brand of NIC coming I will try next week. For now my NAS is direct connected to the ESXi hosts.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
The Dell N1524 can be added to this list. It goes on Ebay for just under US$500.

It has 24 x 1GbE ports and 4 10Gbit SFP+ ports.

linenoise

Aug 17, 2016
So I got my Trendnet Teg-30284 and my 1st impressions are good. Except for 1 minor item. In my lab I'm using Solarflare SFN5122F NIC's I moved my ESXi hosts to the swicth without issue. But as soon as I plugged my NAS into the Switch it BSOD'ed with Kernel_Security_Check. It's 100% a compatibility issue with this machine and the switch. I pulled all RAM & hardware except these cards and it still occured, So I tried all 3 NICS in the box and had the same issue (yes bios and drivers are all updated). I also tried 4 different brands of SFP+ DAC's. MY "NAS" Server is a Windows Server 2012 R2, Running NFS and Starwind VSAN.

I have a different brand of NIC coming I will try next week. For now my NAS is direct connected to the ESXi hosts.
UPDATE: Today I tested a Mellanox ConnectX-2 and a Chelsio card. No issues with either. The Solarflare cards work fine in ESXi. But not under windows. At this point I do not believe it's an issue with the switch. This thing is Great for the $$$

Reactions: gbeirn