Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I bought the TP-Link T1700G-28TQ, and I though I'd do a quick report.

Transfer speeds are fine: iperf -d runs at 9.6 Gbit/s through the switch (and two intel X520-DA1 cards).

As for power consumption: I now have 2 SFP+ DACs installed, and a couple of Gbit-T links, and it's runing at 14.5W idle. The lower side is slightly warm to the touch, but nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Keljian and trumee

Nick Nick

Jul 17, 2016
I want something like the mikrotik crs226 but with 10g base-t instead of sfp+.

I'm soon going to buy a system with a SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F (which uses 10gbase-t) and place it in my home. I have multiple devices already running on a 1 gig switch. So I'd like to replace that switch with a fanless switch with at least 1 10 gig port for the supermicro. A system with sfp+ too would be ultimately future proof but that doesn't seem to be available.

Nick Nick

Jul 17, 2016
I want something like the mikrotik crs226 but with 10g base-t instead of sfp+.

I'm soon going to buy a system with a SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F (which uses 10gbase-t) and place it in my home. I have multiple devices already running on a 1 gig switch. So I'd like to replace that switch with a fanless switch with at least 1 10 gig port for the supermicro. A system with sfp+ too would be ultimately future proof but that doesn't seem to be available.
New egg has a great search feature for things like this, better than amazon for drilling down (search for 10gbase-t and drill down).

I found the Netgear prosafe gs728tx, with 24 x 1gig, 2 sfp+, 2 10gbase-t, $550 at newegg. But it has a fan, probably uses lots of power. It's good but more than I need for quiet home use.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Although i like the TPlink and the Trendnet, the mikrotik crs226 is unbeatable because of the price, fanless capability and the POE on port1.

But its passive 24v poe :( The only flaw.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Although i like the TPlink and the Trendnet, the mikrotik crs226 is unbeatable because of the price, fanless capability and the POE on port1.

But its passive 24v poe :( The only flaw.
I guess it depends on your needs / use case.
I have more than 2 x 10Gbit SFP+ capable nodes I want to connect.

Reactions: DouglasteR

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
All of these 10Gb switches, which one(s) provide the best CLI? While I'm happy with my current Dell X1052, I really miss being able to configure my switches via CLI. Never been a fan of web interfaces for switches.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
All of these 10Gb switches, which one(s) provide the best CLI? While I'm happy with my current Dell X1052, I really miss being able to configure my switches via CLI. Never been a fan of web interfaces for switches.
I assume you know what I am going to say right? But lets be fair here, the Dell GUI kind of blows! There is hope that it will get better over time but it is quite a shame that they took out most of the CLI Functionality to favor the GUI that is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Currently for the best CLI you are looking at Cisco but no where near that price point. Maybe the new Ubiquiti when it comes out? That remains to be seen, I believe they have a pretty good CLI but have no personal experience with them.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I assume you know what I am going to say right? But lets be fair here, the Dell GUI kind of blows! There is hope that it will get better over time but it is quite a shame that they took out most of the CLI Functionality to favor the GUI that is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Currently for the best CLI you are looking at Cisco but no where near that price point. Maybe the new Ubiquiti when it comes out? That remains to be seen, I believe they have a pretty good CLI but have no personal experience with them.
Haha yea I'd love your Cisco SG350XG-24F but that's just not in my price range. I think I'm def. going to pickup that new Ubiquiti in a few weeks without question. But I'm also considering replacing my Dell X1052 with a different 24/48 port switch that has at least dual SFP+ to connect with the new Ubiquiti switch if I can find one with a decent CLI.

aero

Apr 27, 2016

The Ubiquiti EdgeOS is a pretty decent CLI. It's a Vyatta fork. It seems Juniper-esque to me.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ubiquiti doesn't have any switches with SFP+ that are non-POE other than the new ES-16-XG coming out? All I see is the ES-48-500W.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Ubiquiti doesn't have any switches with SFP+ that are non-POE other than the new ES-16-XG coming out? All I see is the ES-48-500W.
I don't know if they've been discontinued or what, as they seem to be out of stock everywhere, but Ubiquiti did have the Edgeswitch Lite 48 port switch that has 2 SFP and 2 SFP + ports on it. It usually ran about $400 or so, and lacks the PoE features of the higher end EdgeSwitch's.

[EDIT] Looks like Amazon might have them...

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Managed-Gigabit-ES-48-LITE/dp/B013JDNN3K

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I don't know if they've been discontinued or what, as they seem to be out of stock everywhere, but Ubiquiti did have the Edgeswitch Lite 48 port switch that has 2 SFP and 2 SFP + ports on it. It usually ran about $400 or so, and lacks the PoE features of the higher end EdgeSwitch's.

[EDIT] Looks like Amazon might have them...

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Networks Edge Switch 48 Lite Managed Gigabit Switch with SFP+ Ports -US (ES-48-LITE): Computers & Accessories
Thanks for the link. You're right they do seem on back order everywhere. Looks like Ubiquiti must have either underestimated the demand or had a QC problem on them. ETA is like 2 months for most retailers.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for the link. You're right they do seem on back order everywhere. Looks like Ubiquiti must have either underestimated the demand or had a QC problem on them. ETA is like 2 months for most retailers.
Yup... Completely missed the 1-2 months part on the Amazon page. Oh well. I've been waiting for these to come back in stock as well.

resistor

May 17, 2016
What's the cheapest option if I want to add to get more SFP+ ports than my CRS226 currently has? Are there any cheap 4x SFP+ switches if I don't care about gigabit ports?

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
What's the cheapest option if I want to add to get more SFP+ ports than my CRS226 currently has? Are there any cheap 4x SFP+ switches if I don't care about gigabit ports?
So far it seems like the new TrendNET is the way to go. Only $339.99 NEW which is pretty awesome!

It has 4 SFP+ 10G Ports

Model TEG-30284

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Does anyone have experience with the Trendnet, and how it compares to the CRS226? I'm looking at getting a gigabit switch with SFP+, but can't decide yet on what I should go for. I spent most of my recent budget building my new server, but I really need an upgrade to my primary switch.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Looking for a new switch as well. The trendnet seems to provide all of the features I was looking for at the best price point, but have not seen any reviews.

I am personally leaning towards the UBNT switch, since I use their access points already.