Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Guys 1st post here I want faster transfers from my main W10 workstation to my Unraid server but still want to be connected to the my other computers and internet, So i bought a couple of Mellonex connect x2 cards and now need a switch that's able to handle at least 2 - 10gb SPF connections from the Unraid machine and the WIN10 workstation but also have at least 10 or more 1gb ports for the rest of my network.

I have been doing alot of reading on the forums and would prefer a fanless switch and with an introductory price the MikroTik's look like they would be a good fit?

just a quick rundown of my needs for a switch

1. Fanless preferred
2. Cost max $280
3. Newb Easy to use management interface
4. switch needs to have (2 or more) 10GB in/out SPF for a win10 workstation and an Unraid to transfer at 10gb speeds to each other but also need 10 or more 1gb ports to other pc's etc on the local network and internet.

Please advise on a newb like me jumping into the 10gb world.

thanks in advance
AJ

Last edited:

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Hi Guys 1st post here I want faster transfers from my main W10 workstation to my Unraid server but still want to be connected to the my other computers and internet, So i bought a couple of Mellonex connect x2 cards and now need a switch that's able to handle at least 2 - 10gb SPF connections from the Unraid machine and the WIN10 workstation but also have at least 10 or more 1gb ports for the rest of my network.

I have been doing alot of reading on the forums and would prefer a fanless switch and with an introductory price the MikroTik's look like they would be a good fit?

just a quick rundown of my needs for a switch

1. Fanless preferred
2. Cost max $280
3. Newb Easy to use management interface
4. switch needs to have (2 or more) 10GB in/out SPF for a win10 workstation and an Unraid to transfer at 10gb speeds to each other but also need 10 or more 1gb ports to other pc's etc on the local network and internet.

Please advise on a newb like me jumping into the 10gb world.

thanks in advance
AJ

Hi I would take a look at the MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM which is about $250 plus shipping from Amazon, I am pretty sure it is Fanless and it has 2 - SFP+ Ports you will need to get the SFP+ Modules or pick up some DAC Cables to connect to the Mellanox Cards but this will fit your needs, it has the Copper Ports (more than enough) and the 10G Ports, they also have a desktop version that it is a little cheaper. This is a router as well but you don't have to use that functionality if you don't want to.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Hi I would take a look at the MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM which is about $250 plus shipping from Amazon, I am pretty sure it is Fanless and it has 2 - SFP+ Ports you will need to get the SFP+ Modules or pick up some DAC Cables to connect to the Mellanox Cards but this will fit your needs, it has the Copper Ports (more than enough) and the 10G Ports, they also have a desktop version that it is a little cheaper. This is a router as well but you don't have to use that functionality if you don't want to.
Pete I am torn between the two versions and will possibly go with the desktop version because it's smaller for my desk I have no rack and the work station and the Unraid server are within 2ft of each other. I will not be using the router features in this switch and should be easy to turn off? I did read the reviews from Patrick on this site and not really sure what the real differences are between the 2 models other than the RM is bigger for a rack server space vs a desk...... I forgot to mention that i have this Cable coming - Cisco Genuine Original SFP-H10GB-CU3M 3 Meter Twinax 10GB Cable this cable should work between the Mellanox ConnectX-2 Single-Port SFP+ 10GBE Network Card MNPA19-XTR right?

I will just need to buy one more of these cables!

please let me know if these cables will work with either MikroTik? and if anyone else wants to chime in on what switch will work for me please do.

thanks AJ

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Pete I am torn between the two versions and will possibly go with the desktop version because it's smaller for my desk I have no rack and the work station and the Unraid server are within 2ft of each other. I will not be using the router features in this switch and should be easy to turn off? I did read the reviews from Patrick on this site and not really sure what the real differences are between the 2 models other than the RM is bigger for a rack server space vs a desk...... I forgot to mention that i have this Cable coming - Cisco Genuine Original SFP-H10GB-CU3M 3 Meter Twinax 10GB Cable this cable should work between the Mellanox ConnectX-2 Single-Port SFP+ 10GBE Network Card MNPA19-XTR right?

please let me know if these cables will work with either MikroTik? and if anyone else wants to chime in on what switch will work for me please do.

thanks AJ
This will be my first 10gb network and i am learning :) - Do I have the right cables ordered for the Mellanox Nic and the MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM Switch?

Sep 22, 2015

thanks AJ
Should work. I used arris fiber transceivers for one of the ports and some random cisco knockoff cable for the other. Both sets were running between the mikrotik and mellanox NICs. None of it seemed to care what the brands were.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Should work. I used arris fiber transceivers for one of the ports and some random cisco knockoff cable for the other. Both sets were running between the mikrotik and mellanox NICs. None of it seemed to care what the brands were.
Thank you I will have to order (1) more cable as originally i was going to hook the Main workstation and the Unraid server together for transfers but then trying to reconfigure NICS on both computers back for the local 1gb network etc would be a PIA :( ,

So my next purchase will be either a Quanta or Mikrotik switch.... Just for grins what kind of speed should i see transferring between sata 6bs platter drives? 200mb/sec roughly ? - Right now i have seen 101 mb/sec but then can drop to 50mb/sec on my 1gb netgear router.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Thank you I will have to order (1) more cable as originally i was going to hook the Main workstation and the Unraid server together for transfers but then trying to reconfigure NICS on both computers back for the local 1gb network etc would be a PIA :( ,

So my next purchase will be either a Quanta or Mikrotik switch.... Just for grins what kind of speed should i see transferring between sata 6bs platter drives? 200mb/sec roughly ? - Right now i have seen 101 mb/sec but then can drop to 50mb/sec on my 1gb netgear router.
I seriously doubt that the Mikrotik Switches are "Vendor Locked" so you should be able to use just about any 10G SFP+ / DAC Cable. I have found that almost everyone supports Cisco and for some odd Reason I've also had pretty good luck with Dell SFP+ Modules and DAC Cables.

As for the "Router" part of the switch you shouldn't have to do anything just us the Ports as a switch.

As for speeds that is a very difficult question to answer as there are so many variables but you should see upwards of 2 - 2.5gb/sec transfer over the 10G Connections. You might be able to bump that up a little if you enable jumbo Frames on all of the devices but I'd do some testing to see how it works out.

You will be hard pressed to see much more than that with those Mellanox Cards, yes they are 10G but they don't support all of the newest standards and even the ConnectX-3 cards aren't impressing me that much. But it sure beats the heck out of a single 1G Connection =)

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks Pete , I just received the cards and had to order another Cisco cable, Now i am waiting on feedback on a switch ...

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
my Mikrotik CSR226rm has accepted any DAC or SFP+ that I have tried so far, including generics. It does not lock you into the Microtik SFP+

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
my Mikrotik CSR226rm has accepted any DAC or SFP+ that I have tried so far, including generics. It does not lock you into the Microtik SFP+
I ordered the (IN) model from Amazon today should be here tomorrow, and got the other cisco cable coming, for this weekend I'll get my network running off the switch on 1gb, probably install the mellanox nics but will have to wait for other cable to try peer to peer transfers on 10gb.

Is there any quick tips for a noob like me on the switch to supercharge /tweek the 1gb portion of the switch? Jumbo frames only work on 10gb or also 1gb?, is that a nic and switch setting or just nic... Sorry for all the questions...

Aj

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I have noticed that all your link is from Amazon or ebay, but actually there are many other websites that can supply 10G Switch under 550 USD, you can have a look at FS.com.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
I ordered the (IN) model from Amazon today should be here tomorrow, and got the other cisco cable coming, for this weekend I'll get my network running off the switch on 1gb, probably install the mellanox nics but will have to wait for other cable to try peer to peer transfers on 10gb.

Is there any quick tips for a noob like me on the switch to supercharge /tweek the 1gb portion of the switch? Jumbo frames only work on 10gb or also 1gb?, is that a nic and switch setting or just nic... Sorry for all the questions...

Aj

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well the switch is up and running with 1 of the 10gb ports running to the 10gb switch on the Win 10 station, The unraid machine see's the Mellanox card but i haven't received the other SPF cable yet... I have performed a few 4gig- up transfers and they were rock steady from 105mb/sec to 100mb/sec ... Wed i will get the cable and the true test will happen with 10gb.

So i wanted to play around in the switches GUI and for the love of god cannot access the gui from port 1 of the switch going to address 192.168.88.1 , I even removed my Comcast router from port 2 feeding the switch and was going right from port 1 to my Ethernet on a laptop and still could not access the gui ... either with firefox or Chrome. I believe the network on WIN 10 laptop is hampering me some how ... I even tried the console jack but nothing , other than page cannot be displayed... time to play some more....o_O

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I don't see any 10G Switches on the FS.com website? Can you share a link?
I am really sorry to tell you that I can not find Switch, either, but my friends have bought telecom devices from Fiberstore and he says it is really good! Sorry again for not being helpful!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What is your main network? Easiest is to set your workstation network to a 192.168.88.2/24 or 192.168.88.2 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and connect it to Ethernet port 1 and you should be OK. You can change the IP of the switch to your main network and then change your main network card back to the original network.

The other option is you can actually change the ethernet address of port 1 using the LCD screen. It is a little painful navigating the LCD as it is not the most accurate touch but it is doable.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
The other option is you can actually change the ethernet address of port 1 using the LCD screen. It is a little painful navigating the LCD as it is not the most accurate touch but it is doable.[/QUOTE] a little painful but i am in THANK YOU PATRICK:D

Attachments

reedmaster16

Feb 25, 2016
Thanks for all the advice and first hand opinions in this thread. After much deliberation I just purchased the Mikrotik CRS226 rack mount version from BalticNetworks. Looking forward to putting it through its paces in the coming weeks once it gets here.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for all the advice and first hand opinions in this thread. After much deliberation I just purchased the Mikrotik CRS226 rack mount version from BalticNetworks. Looking forward to putting it through its paces in the coming weeks once it gets here.
Good Luck

Roger

May 13, 2016
Hello,

I'm new to 10G and I'm looking for something like the Mikrotik CRS226 - 24+ 1gig copper ports, SFP+ for DAC with NAS, low power and low noise (for home use) BUT with PoE (on at least some ports) as I'd like to power phones and assorted SBCs with it.
Is there something like this available - and even better, something that wouldn't creep into "enterprise" cost range?

Thank you.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Hello,

I'm new to 10G and I'm looking for something like the Mikrotik CRS226 - 24+ 1gig copper ports, SFP+ for DAC with NAS, low power and low noise (for home use) BUT with PoE (on at least some ports) as I'd like to power phones and assorted SBCs with it.
Is there something like this available - and even better, something that wouldn't creep into "enterprise" cost range?

Thank you.
If you can deal with the buggy interface then check out the Dell x1052p, it has 24 ports of POE / POE+ (the first 24 ports) and the remaining 24 ports are Gig and 4-10G SFP+ Ports. They can be found on e-bay for a pretty decent price. The only question is what you consider low noise, I wouldn't put one in my bedroom or living room but I think that with the dynamic fans you will be ok as long as the ambient temp isn't too high. You can also expect the fans to spin up more as more of a POE load is put on it.

I don't think you will find a 10G switch with POE without fans. The only other one I can think of that might be in a reasonable price range would be the Ubiqiti Switches, they have several that have POE and 10G.

The other option that I can think of would be Cisco but they are very pricey

Last edited: