Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Yes, I saw that, but Amazon's price seems rather inflated given the EU prices. Since Provantage has it in the states for $485, I figured "under $500" would be a decent ballpark figure (since it seems new, the prices are likely to go down).

mikesm

Mar 3, 2013
Newegg has it for right at $500

Chris

Wow, and Fanless too!! Very nice.

Did you also see the T1700X-16TS? 12 10GBase-T ports and 4 SFP+ ports? I don't see it on sale yet anywhere, but I would bet it will be even cheaper than the new Netgear switches.

Thanks,
mike

Mark Bradley

Feb 21, 2015
Virginia
Im really looking forward to the MIKROTIK CRS226-24G-2S+RM. Its simply perfect.
Unless I am mistaken, Amazon has the same Mikrotik for about $16 less from the same seller as your eBay link.

I wish Ubiquiti would make something similar. I want a couple SFP+ and POE+ but I don't need their $800+ 48 port unit. Perhaps I've gotten too enamored with their controller software/GUI...

Reactions: DouglasteR

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
That TP-link one looks interesting. But I have a Mikrotik CRS226 waiting for me on some courier truck...hehe

Roger

May 13, 2016
I wish Ubiquiti would make something similar. I want a couple SFP+ and POE+ but I don't need their $800+ 48 port unit. Perhaps I've gotten too enamored with their controller software/GUI...
Yes, I'd love if they made 24 port shallow unit with SFP+ and POE - I can't fit their US-48 units into my tiny teeny little home rack :(

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Unless I am mistaken, Amazon has the same Mikrotik for about $16 less from the same seller as your eBay link.

Me too, i already have 2 devices from them, but their switch line its a bit.... limited.

Anyone know if the POE port (eth1) is 802.3af in the 226 ? I mean, can i simply hook up a 48v poe in the port, or its only 24v ? (i hate non standart poe ports :()

Sep 22, 2015
I haven't seen any mention here yet of the TP-Link JetStream T1700G-28TQ, which seems TP-Link's version of the D-Link DGS-1510-28X:
  • Price: under $500 (also readily available in EU for under EUR400)
  • 1GbE - 24
  • 10Gbase-T - 0
  • 10Gb SFP+ - 4
  • Fanless
  • Power Consumption 21.8W
I bought one of these the other day. So far it's working pretty well. I can confirm it makes no noise, and it doesn't seem to get hot.

I populated all 4 sfp+ slots, 2 with fiber transceivers (Cisco Generics and Avago) and 2 with DA cables. All 4 activated at 10gb without issue, so it doesn't do any kind of vendor lockout. Speed tests with iperf3 across Windows systems seem to top out at about 7-8 gbps, which was exactly the same as when I had the NICs directly attached to each other.

The user interface has some pretty bad engrish, but it seems functional enough. The most annoying thing about it is that it's default IP address is hardcoded to 192.168.0.1, so I'd recommend changing it before you plug it into your network.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
For those who own the MIKROTIK CRS226-24G-2S

I heard it is weak at the routing department, my main use will be switching at 1Gb and 10Gb and some vlans etc, for those jobs is it fast enough ?

Thanks.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Thanks David,

According to the manual, the SFP+ ports also work with 1Gbit SFP modules. Have you been able to confirm that?
SFP+ Ports are backwards compatible, you can use 1G as well as 1G Copper SFP Modules as well. In theory you should be able to put a 1G modules in one switch and a 10G in another and it should go down to 1G but I've yet to see that work properly so you are better off getting the same module on each end.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
For those who own the MIKROTIK CRS226-24G-2S

I heard it is weak at the routing department, my main use will be switching at 1Gb and 10Gb and some vlans etc, for those jobs is it fast enough ?

Thanks.
Don't do inter-vlan routing on that switch if you want high performance. If you just need it to work, then you are ok. If you just need to have different vlans to keep traffic segregated, then it will work.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Exactly what i need ! Thanks.
Be careful. They have one other issue. Since there are RM and desktop versions, and you can power via POE they multiply like rabbits. Like... oh I wish I had more wired LAN in this office... CRS226. oh I wish I had more wired LAN in this conference room... CRS226. Fanless too.

Reactions: Patrick