ghetto shelf hack possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well do you have the drives for it? It uses FC drives, not SAS/SATA.
Honestly unless you need serious space a modern SSD is going to provide better IOPS.

Dr_Drache

Jun 7, 2013
it's filled with 400GB drives. which all spin up without adverse noise.
I would use it for data storage, and some VM drives (zfs raid?) for my c6100 and my android VPS project i'm working on

gavin

May 26, 2013
it's filled with 400GB drives. which all spin up without adverse noise.
I would use it for data storage, and some VM drives (zfs raid?) for my c6100 and my android VPS project i'm working on
Hardware looking good. Missing key? Mini hack opportunity there :)

O/S surely is a matter of choice go with what you're comfy with, if it was mine I would certainly go with FreeBSD.

Dr_Drache

Jun 7, 2013
Hardware looking good. Missing key? Mini hack opportunity there :)

O/S surely is a matter of choice go with what you're comfy with, if it was mine I would certainly go with FreeBSD.
how about freeNAS? I'm not up to speed on BSD, but I assume i can handle it (linux system admin day job)
just need to get a box to host it, any suggestions?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Regardless of the noise, they look to be on the serious side of business. I would imagine they will NOT be power friendly and may have limitations as the guys above have possibly pointed out.

Your idea to use with the C6100 seems well thought and like the best solution. I feel it will have goods for a fast system to tie with it, use different drives and housings if you just want bulk media storage.

Dr_Drache

Jun 7, 2013
I guess i can't get this working quite yet, I may be missing how to connect it, but freeNAS is only giving me 8 disks (via 'gmultipath status')
but i can see all 16 drives if i do 'camcontrol devlist'
I don't know what i am doing wrong, any advice on how to get this FC-AL going, i'm up for it