Getting ready for a threadripper build, undecided about mobo and RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
I recently purchased a Threadripper 1950X, which I intend to use to run a ZFS-based, multi-headed, multi-OS rig (Probably using Proxmox, but I plan to experiment with FreeNAS+Bhyve and maybe ESXi). However, I am currently undecided about the motherboard and memory. I would really like to use ECC, but it makes me sad that I won't be able to use faster memory. I've heard mixed things about overclocking ECC, but this would of course be ideal.. ECC at 3200Mhz would be pretty sweet.
However, it seems that ASUS (my preferred brand's) threadripper motherboards cannot use ECC. I understand that Gigabyte and ASRock have ones that can use ECC, but I'm not super-happy with my current Gigabyte board (the BIOS controls aren't very nice and I've had some sleep issues). The X399 Taichi from ASRock looks nice, but I've heard mixed things about ASRock build quality.
Since I don't need to do my build urgently, but would like to sooner rather than later, I am undecided about whether I should just go with the ASRock or wait and see what else comes out. Can we expect ASUS to offer ECC friendly motherboards, or Supermicro to come out with something for Threadripper? What would you do and why?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
TR is a very niche product. I'm not holding my breath on new boards. ECC UDIMM only? Not worth it.

You're going to end up using Proxmox. That'll save you a few hours. ESXi on consumer hardware sucks. Bhyve isn't as good on guess support as KVM.

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
OK well, it's too bad that I'm limited to 24oo Mhz, but I'll probably populate the 8 slots of whatever motherboard I end up getting with 16Gb UDIMMS for a total of 128GB RAM. Should be OK, right?
Re the link: What does it mean in practical terms to "strain" a memory controller? Will it last less long? Will it perform worse?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The board won't support more than X amount so you won't strain the memory controller.

TR boards with 8 slots ? Or only 4 slots ?

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
8 slots/4 channels is my understanding. TR supports up to 128 GB, so I think I should be fine. The question is whether upcoming TR motherboards will have anything over the ASR Taichi that is worth waiting on. With DRAM prices so high, I am inclined to wait until at least after back to school season.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Rumors that TR supports up to 1TB of memory. So a good chance to support up to LRDIMM 128GB sticks.