Getting my Cannon PowerShot to work in Server 2012?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I've got a Canon PowerShot SD450 camera. It's not the nicest point-and-click out there, but it's served me reliably for several years, and I really don't want to get rid of it. (AKA, I blew all my money and can't afford a new one or even a card reader) I just finished building up my ESXi network, and realized that I no longer have a non-Server machine to upload the pictures with. My main rig turned into my NAS, and is running Server 2012. My camera is detected by this computer, but shows up in Device Manager like so:

If you go to Canon's web page for my camera, it states that "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver." Unfortunately, not true.

Can anyone help me get my camera working with Server 2012? I'd prefer not to have to passthrough a USB port to a VM!

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Not a bad idea!

I fixed it, though. Turns out, I forgot to install the "Desktop Experience" feature. Don't I feel dumb.