getting fiber

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kazuki

Mar 24, 2022
so i'm getting 1Gbps fiber internet next week and I would like to have my own equipment but I don't know where to start i would like separate equipment i need wifi i would love to be able to add cameras in future my budget for all is under 1000$

glow

Mar 22, 2022
In addition, it also depends on your ISP. Some will let you replace their ONT with your own equipment, some will not. That will somewhat affect your potential equipment and configuration choices. How much WiFi coverage are you looking at? A small apartment or flat? A large dwelling in the hills with detached spaces? Is it replacing an existing network such as cabling, switches, etc or as an addition, with router/firewall, ONT, WiFi being the only additions?

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
AT&T Fiber, for instance, requires you use their gateway, the BGS320. But you can enable an "IP passthrough" mode to send everything to your preferred router in your network.

There are ways that people have tried to spoof AT&T into using their router and bypassing the AT&T box entirely, but I haven't had to bother. The IP Passthrough method is good enough.