"generic" QFSP to RJ45 breakout cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
nothing, but isn't that qfsp to sfp? i.e. not rj45. I've found many of those, but nothing little that has rj45 tranceivers on the end of the breakout side.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
LOL. I didn't notice what you were asking. Frankly that's such a specialized item I feel you'll be paying a premium. And I don't think the site's image is correct as it shows an SFP+. There are no images that depict its description on the web either.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I agree, as I said, was mostly thinking about it as a theoretical thing, less about practical.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
SFP+ modules to 1G Base-T are dirt cheap on fleebay. I'd just get QSFP to 4x SPF+ break-out cable as one above and get 4x SFP 1G copper modules separately.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
SFP+ modules to 1G Base-T are dirt cheap on fleebay. I'd just get QSFP to 4x SPF+ break-out cable as one above and get 4x SFP 1G copper modules separately.
And how are you planning to connect the SFP+ RJ45 modules to the Breakout? a
As far as I know, there is no "Dual female QSFP+" adaptor.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
That defies the entire point of having a QSFP->RJ45 breakout cable. You have 4 additional devices you need to power and position somewhere.
or
Cool thing, but doesn't allow connecting a QSFP+ breakout to an SFP+ transceiver like you proposed.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I found this from Dell Dell Networking Cable QSFP+ to 4 x 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ45) Copper Breakout Cable 1 meter : Display Solutions | Dell Greece

but am wondering if there's any company that makes a more "generic" (i.e. more affordable) one (or at least a set of SKUs with different trancievers on the QFSP end)

in my case for mellanox, though in practice, not the biggest deal in the world, mostly just wondering.
I have never heard of such a thing, and all the search results seem to come back to this one Dell part. The only images I have found of it do not show it breaking out to 4x RJ45. I strongly suspect that this is a horribly mis-labeled part and is actually a regular QSFP to 4x 10G SFP+ DAC breakout.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
That defies the entire point of having a QSFP->RJ45 breakout cable. You have 4 additional devices you need to power and position somewhere.
True, but an alternative to keep costs low. That of course won't be a very elegant engineering solution. OP said it was more of a theoretical discussion.

Cool thing, but doesn't allow connecting a QSFP+ breakout to an SFP+ transceiver as you proposed.
True again. That one I found while searching. seems a bit wasteful to go from a 40gig port to 2x 10gig, but it's a) cheap and b) has a small form factor.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I have never heard of such a thing, and all the search results seem to come back to this one Dell part. The only images I have found of it do not show it breaking out to 4x RJ45. I strongly suspect that this is a horribly mis-labeled part and is actually a regular QSFP to 4x 10G SFP+ DAC breakout.
that's what I might have thought, but the description doubles down on it.

- Features an QSFP+ connector at one end and RJ45 connector at the other end

But as I wrote above, this was mostly me thinking out loud.