general windows question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
Sorry, I know this is a windows server forum but bear with me.

I purchased a used hp6300 system on eBay that was advertised as having windows 10 upgraded as well as microsoft office installed.

It would seem after receiving the machine that likely the windows 10 and officer are 'hacktivated' as windows defender is flagging automks. After a bit of google, it would appear that this is a hacktivator with known ties to possible malware, backdoors, and ransomeware.

could there be any legitimate reason for automks, like is that a microsoft mechanism for real OEM or corporate machines as this was likely a corporate machine refurbished?

The computer has a COA windows 7 pro sticker, would I be better off downloading windows 7 pro 64 and fresh installing with the key on the sticker of the machine or is windows 7 too far gone at this point?

I don't think there is a 'free' path to upgrade the windows 7 pro if I re-install it to windows 10? I have an upgrade image that I downloaded during the free period for a different machine but that likely would not work now that microsoft has shut down free upgrades right?

Is there any way to see if the prior IT department updated these machines to windows 10 before they sold them off? They should be 'licensed for life' if they were previously licensed right?

sorry for the dumb questions but I have been majorativly on mac for like 12 years now, I have not used a microsoft machine as primary since XP.

Thanks

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Grab a spare drive and install a fresh copy of windows 10 if it automatically activates then you are good to go. If it doesn't auto activate then you really don't lose much running it without activation. Or do a fresh install of 7 and try the upgrade path I have heard rumors of it still working but haven't tried myself in that last couple months. At this point I would not invest time in actually using Win7 even if it is ok right now Win10 is the future and Microsoft has made it very clear they are trying to kill everything else as fast as possible.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@StammesOpfer

thanks for weighing in... what is your thoughts on the autokms being a big security issue? ie.. should I wipe that drive asap or is it a low risk thing? i really just don't have a good feeling trusting any software pre loaded off of eBay...

good idea on the re-install on a different drive.. I think this was setup with mbr but the system is efi capable so should I set it up as a GUID refi boot? since that too is the way forward?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Personally I would wipe and start from scratch. No way of knowing what is going on with autokms without taking a forensic look at it and it really isn't worth the effort to do that even if you have the tools and skill. Not to mention anything else that isn't throwing up red flags.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
  1. There's no legit reason for the KMS emulator. This is exploiting the volume activation "hole" to get a Pro/Ent edition that stays activated, which normally requires 25+ machines to activate.
  2. There's no immediate indication that the KMS emulator is malicious, but it's not legit.
  3. You should probably wipe the machine.
  4. What StammesOpfer says is correct: if you install Windows 10 and it activates, then you're done. Otherwise, you can install Windows 7 and try to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you use "assistive technologies". Your favourite search engine can probably tell you more here - I'm not sure if this still works; I haven't tried lately.
  5. None of this will get you a legit Office license.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
  1. What StammesOpfer says is correct: if you install Windows 10 and it activates, then you're done. Otherwise, you can install Windows 7 and try to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you use "assistive technologies". Your favourite search engine can probably tell you more here - I'm not sure if this still works; I haven't tried lately.
No longer available since dec 31st 2017 I am afraid, I didn’t verify but assume it was so.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
thanks all .. that is pretty much what I figured. I was planning on using the W10 drive for a light gaming machine for my 8yo but I don't need a 'hole' in my network

I will put in a spare drive and try 10 first to see if the original owners did an upgrade since I think W10 is supposed to track that and automatically register the machine> or do I need to do something special to get it to register?

otherwise I will try installing 7Pro with the COA key on the machine and see if there is an upgrade path still available.. not holding my breath but as stated .. at least for now.. microsoft really doesn't cripple the installation without registration..

thanks all

Marsh

May 12, 2013
f there is an upgrade path still available
Yes , free Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 upgrade path is still available.

I am very familiar with HP model 6300, 8300, 600, 800.

HP has SLIC in the BIOS.
Easier way is to:
Install Windows 7 ( or download the W7 HP image ), then activate Windows 7 using the HP OEM certificate .
After W7 is up, upgrade to Window 10, W10 would automatically activate itself.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@Marsh

thanks.. any special upgrade path?
sorry... been out of windows for so long I have really lost touch.. hehe

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Use Windows 7 pro, then you could upgrade to Windows 10 pro.

You could even install Windows 8.1 pro instead Windows 7, but it is much easier with W7 and faster.

Just be sure that you run Windows 10 Setup.exe after Windows 7 is activate, and network to Microsoft server is ok.

Go through the W10 upgrade, then you machine hardware ID is recorded with Microsoft big brother server.

After Windows 10 is up, check your W10 activation status, should see "Windows is activated with a digital license".
Afterward, if you wish, you could wipe the OS , and fresh install Windows 10, it would still activated.

I like any HP 600 or HP 800 ( I5-4xxx series CPU ) complete system on Ebay that cost less than $120 shipped.
It is pretty sweet that it comes with a legit Windows license and only cost slightly more than a I5-4xxx CPU.

In case you are wondering , HP 800 or 600 makes a nice gift for friends and family.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@Marsh

so this upgrades because the hp6300 has SLIC or do I need to download or use the 'assistive services' update?

yeah. I got a good deal on these 2 hp6300 with i3-2120.. payed $40 each ... they were advertised as having upgraded windows 10 and office but .. as stated looks like a hacktivated setup with god knows what other malware .. .so would feel better if it was gone..

also seeing some sellers on Ebay selling W10 activation codes from recycled (deactivated) machines which they claim is completely legal by EU standards (i am US).. no software, just the keys.. like 5 bucks a key.. sounds like an option as well.

so once a system upgrades to windows 10.. its 'activated for life' and any subsequent install no longer requires 'activation' just let it phone home I guess..

Thanks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
could there be any legitimate reason for automks, like is that a microsoft mechanism for real OEM or corporate machines as this was likely a corporate machine refurbished?
KMS is a legit mechnism, but tools like autokms use it to connect on an "illegal" kms server and active the client.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
so this upgrades because the hp6300 has SLIC or
Google HP OEM Windows 7 certificate to activate HP BIOS OEM SLIC , easier than using calling Miscrosoft using the COA sticker license.

its 'activated for life' and any subsequent install no longer requires 'activation' just let it phone home I guess..
Correct, as long as the HP system components does not go thru a major upgrade causing drastic different hardware ID drastic