Gen10 HPE ProLiant Micro-Server build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Had this project on the back burner for quite some time, but I've been able to set aside time this week to get this server online and running properly. It will replace an aging NAS with limited storage. In this build I am using four 3TB drives (enterprise level Hitachi drives) in RAID (exact configuration YTD). The OS drive will be a 2.5" SSD that will be perched atop of the case frame. It's the perfect spot for a low profile SSD, however, the stock PSU wiring does not contain any SATA type power connectors, so I had no choice but to make an adapter to convert molex to sata, so I tapped in that way. In the BIOS, this particular port (for the OS drive) is registered as SATA5.

Memory is kind of a long story but at this point it has a 16 GB kit of Gskill Trident DDR4 4000Mhz (B-die) modules. These are high performance memory modules but they do not have ECC. I was surprised to see it posted and operated normally with the G.Skill swap. Obviously not running at a full 4000 MHz, but the rig should do just fine for itself with this memory.

Im basically throwing this out there for you guys to bounce ideas around in terms of raid set up / os configuration, etc. I don't have a specific OS in mind, so the entire spectrum is pretty much open based on whatever feedback I get. The true purpose of this network attached storage device is picture storage. So I should keep that in mind. I know I've been closed off to recommendations in the past. But think of this as an open canvas, and again, with picture storage / media storage in mind. How it's built? That's up to you! :) Remember, we have a theoretical total of 12TB of storage here across all four drives.

Sorry about picture quality. Not impressed with my new cell phone at all. You can see the server needs a good cleaning as well....

The 3TB hard drives are manufactured by Hitachi. These drives have a pretty good track record for decent reliability.

Remaining drives to be installed:

So you know what I am working with

Last edited:

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Additional shots of the memory and whatnot.

I was pretty shocked when the system booted no problem with this kit. Which consists of 4000MHz b-die modules and can easily be overclocked to 4400MHz

G.Skill memory has always impressed me in terms of performance and aesthetics

Location of the SSD OS drive will be up here, basically the highest point in the case.

Potential GPU upgrade in mind as well...

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
If you are worried about the molex to SATA ...
Is there power / backplane for the slim optical drive slot? If so consider one of the varied SATA DVD to SSD caddys - they are pretty cheap - $7 to ++$$ (icy dock is pricey) USD on AMZ.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Im running Windows Server 2019 on it for now just testing. In the process of migrating data over from the old NAS device, which was essentially full, at almost 500GB.

I chose the RAID10 option, that gives me about 5.5TB of useful storage across four mechanical drives.