Gauge Interest in Arista 40G QSFP UNIV Transceivers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
I just purchased 20 new Arista QSFP+ transceivers and I want to gauge interest here to determine if I should post a thread in the For Sale/ For Trade/ Want to Buy thread.

Would any of you be interested in purchasing one or more of the transceivers for about $60 each + shipping? That seems to be lower than the eBay rates when I checked. I wanted to give all of you here the first opportunity to purchase before I try to sell them elsewhere.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
What length is the cable?
it's just a transceiver. it usually sells for about $75.

What is the Universal transceiver and why is it called Universal?
The Arista QSFP-40G-UNIV is a QSFP 40GbE transceiver with a duplex LC connector that can be
used with both multi-mode (MM) and single-mode (SM) fiber. It has 4 channels of 10G multiplexed
inside the module to transmit and receive an aggregate 40G signal over 2 strands of fiber.
It is called Universal because of its ability to operate with both MM and SM fiber without the need for
any software/hardware changes to the module or any additional hardware in the network.

https://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/Whitepapers/QSFP_40G_UNIV_FAQ.pdf

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
Thanks for posting that information BeTeP! To me, the best part about them is the ability to use duplex LC so I don't have to purchase MPO cables and run them through the walls. I'm planning to keep a few of them, but I'll be selling most of them.

bzaras

Apr 15, 2019
Poland, Cieszyn
Thanks for posting that information BeTeP! To me, the best part about them is the ability to use duplex LC so I don't have to purchase MPO cables and run them through the walls. I'm planning to keep a few of them, but I'll be selling most of them.
i will be intrested in 2 of them :)

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
I received the transceivers and to my dismay, some of them are clearly used in spite of the ebay listing claiming they were "New". I'm in the midst of testing all of them using iperf on each one for an extended time and checking for errors. I'm trying to decide between sending them back and continuing on to sell them. I don't feel like I can really lower the price realistically, so in spite of the fact they are used, are you still interested @bzaras and @Wharris623? I would only be selling transceivers that work well.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Oh man that is really tempting, I've been wanting to get my hands on some QSFP BiDi, and that they work with single mode or multimode is very cool!

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
I'm in the middle of resolving the transceiver issues with the seller. I might need to return all of them. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I know for sure if I'll still have them to sell or if I need to return all of them.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If you can't wait - there are plenty of them on ebay. It's not like extra $10-15 are going to break the bank.

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
Hey brother, any word on this?

Thanks in advance!

Wes
Thanks for the interest! The seller is extremely slow to respond, so it's taking a while to resolve this. I think we're close to a resolution, but I've been waiting for the seller to respond to a message I sent about a week ago. I just sent a follow-up yesterday to remind the seller I'm waiting for his response. The seller did acknowledge a mistake in sending an open tray of transceivers to me instead of sending the tray of new transceivers. 9 of the transceivers were giving CRC errors or were dead when I received them, so there are 11 good transceivers instead of 20. They appear to be in good shape and I expect in a reasonable environment (not running extremely hot) they'll last as long as any other used transceiver. Anyway, I'm trying to get a partial refund or a replacement of all of the bad transceivers. If I can't get the partial refund or a replacement I'll have to send them all back. I'll update this thread as soon as I have a definitive answer.

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
Hi everyone, sadly, due to the seller not responding to my requests, I had to ask eBay to step in to resolve the issue. I had to send all of the transceivers back. I'll still keep an eye out for a good deal on some UNIV 40Gbps transceivers and let you all know if a similar opportunity arises.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

Arista QSFP-40G-UNIV Transceiver.

I too have some interest in these modules for use with a Mellanox SX6036 VPI switches.

Details from @BeTePe as above
https://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/Whitepapers/QSFP_40G_UNIV_FAQ.pdf

Here is a good video description of their use.

Can anyone confirm that these Arista Universal Modules work with the Mellanox SX switches?

Any experience would be appreciated, I need to connect 2 buildings (~50M Apart) which already have OM3 Single Mode Fibre installed.

Thank You.

RedX1