Gaming instability ESXi 6.7u3b, TR 1950x

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Docop

Jul 19, 2016
I'm passing a 7750 and a Quadro P4000 and a 2200 with an Highpoint usb car and a single 2 port renessa usb card. All pass wonderfully. But best performance are with a 4vcpu max and efficient with 9g of ram on gaming vm. 9 or 12g, no diff really on the fps. And got other linux web surf and nas server all running as well.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Have any of you seen anything like this? This is what happens when I try to select my GTX 1660 for passthrough. I've tried this in every browser and it does the same thing across all of them.

PsyberFyre

Jan 12, 2020
Have any of you seen anything like this? This is what happens when I try to select my GTX 1660 for passthrough. I've tried this in every browser and it does the same thing across all of them.

Yep. Had the same issue with my first install of ESXi for some unknown reason. I did a fresh install for another, unrelated issue and it fixed it. vCenter did not show the same behavior, but ESXi 6.7 U3b did.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yep. Had the same issue with my first install of ESXi for some unknown reason. I did a fresh install for another, unrelated issue and it fixed it. vCenter did not show the same behavior, but ESXi 6.7 U3b did.
Wonderful. Guess I'm SoL then as I'm not trying to use vCenter for a single server.

PsyberFyre

Jan 12, 2020
Assuming you installed ESXi to a USB or SD card or other removable media, or if you can simply remove the drive you installed to, you can try a reinstall on new external media and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, revert back to your old install.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Assuming you installed ESXi to a USB or SD card or other removable media, or if you can simply remove the drive you installed to, you can try a reinstall on new external media and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, revert back to your old install.
This is a fresh install. I have no old install to go back to. I'm trying this to see if it's at all worth it to migrate from Unraid to ESXi (with Unraid as a VM) but it's not looking promising.

besterino

Apr 22, 2017
This happens to me too. It’s annoying but try switching Passthrough on once you got one (or more) entries of the 1660 and reboot. After reboot all devices relating to the 1660 should be in passthrough mode.

Very annoying but no deal breaker.

Alternatively, edit/etc/vmware/esx.conf and change for the 1660 decives „vmkernel“ to „passthru“.