FYI for anyone wanting HTML5 KVM on Supermicro A1SRi-2758F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
There isnt a lot of solid information around on getting HTML5 KVM on the Supermicro A1SRi-2758F boards (to get rid of the horrible Java KVM). But for anyone wanting to do the same, I can confirm that you can use the BMC firmware "REDFISH_X10_377.zip" from Supermicros site to update the BMC on A1SRi-2758F to get HTML5 KVMs. It isnt specifically listed as a working combination anywhere but there was enough evidence that I gave it a try and it worked.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
There isnt a lot of solid information around on getting HTML5 KVM on the Supermicro A1SRi-2758F boards (to get rid of the horrible Java KVM). But for anyone wanting to do the same, I can confirm that you can use the BMC firmware "REDFISH_X10_377.zip" from Supermicros site to update the BMC on A1SRi-2758F to get HTML5 KVMs. It isnt specifically listed as a working combination anywhere but there was enough evidence that I gave it a try and it worked.
Nice find. Only problem is after doing this the BIOS version is no longer viewable from within IPMI which is kind of a bummer.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
Nice find. Only problem is after doing this the BIOS version is no longer viewable from within IPMI which is kind of a bummer.
The version shows up for me still on the main page after logging in.

(Yes, BIOS is out of date)

Firmware Revision : 03.77
Firmware Build Time : 07/27/2018
BIOS Version: 2.0
BIOS Build Time: 07/24/2017
Redfish Version : 1.0.1

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The version shows up for me still on the main page after logging in.

(Yes, BIOS is out of date)

Firmware Revision : 03.77
Firmware Build Time : 07/27/2018
BIOS Version: 2.0
BIOS Build Time: 07/24/2017
Redfish Version : 1.0.1
Not for me. BIOS Version and BIOS Built Time are gone. I'm on the latest BIOS version. I updated both my A1SRi-2758F boards and it's the same.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Very interesting. Waiting to see what the BIOS update upgrade gives.
I hate java.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Updated to BIOS 2.1 (latest on the Supermicro website) and the versions still show.
Hmmm. Here is mine. Maybe I need to try and reset my BMC?

EDIT: Well, did a factory reset and then a unit reset. Still no dice.

Last edited:

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I updates as well. No BIOS Version or Build Time as well.

Anyone figured out a way to set iKVM/HTML5 as default when clicking on the Remote Console Preview?

Next on the list: Remove Java from this computer.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
Hmmm. Here is mine. Maybe I need to try and reset my BMC?

EDIT: Well, did a factory reset and then a unit reset. Still no dice.
Odd. I didnt do anything special during my updates. For BIOS updates I took the default, it was something about "Retain SMBIOS memory" was checked and the other two retain options were unchecked.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Odd. I didnt do anything special during my updates. For BIOS updates I took the default, it was something about "Retain SMBIOS memory" was checked and the other two retain options were unchecked.
That may be it then. I unchecked the "Retain SMBIOS memory" as that's what I saw in the instructions.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I haven't updated the BIOS because it was already at the latest.

When updating the BMC I did uncheck the two options to keep settings.
Even though it kept the network settings which for some reason were at Static.

Doing a full reset of the BMC didn't help either.
It's not too big of a deal to me. I know I am on the latest BIOS version.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Yeah. I've been extremely unimpressed by how well supermicro has supported these boards.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Same with BIOS releases for this board. I could be wrong, with with all the extra vulnerabilities found since the last update in Januari of this year, I would have expected a new release?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Same with BIOS releases for this board. I could be wrong, with with all the extra vulnerabilities found since the last update in Januari of this year, I would have expected a new release?
I don't think intel has released anything. Interestingly, silverton is not even listed in the latest intel microcode guidance. :-/

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
part of why I've stopped recommending the small "server grade" boards--if the vendors are going to support them like consumer grade parts, why not save a ton of money and just buy consumer grade parts? If it breaks, buy a new one, and you're still ahead on the deal.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
part of why I've stopped recommending the small "server grade" boards--if the vendors are going to support them like consumer grade parts, why not save a ton of money and just buy consumer grade parts? If it breaks, buy a new one, and you're still ahead on the deal.
Depends on the use of said board though... This one is my firewall. Consumer grade boards usually don't come with quad Intel NICs, IPMI and support for ECC RAM.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Depends on the use of said board though... This one is my firewall. Consumer grade boards usually don't come with quad Intel NICs, IPMI and support for ECC RAM.
Yea the biggest thing is IPMI which is a deal breaker for me. It's so hard (or damn near impossible) to find consumer grade boards with on-board IPMI. It's pretty much SuperMicro or ASRock Rack.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Maybe. But if it's a badly supported widget with a history of security problems maybe it's better to just skip it. I don't really IPMI my firewall very often anyway. Multiport NICs are pretty cheap. ECC is more a fetish item than a necessity.