Future Xeons: up to 20 cores up to 150W

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KarelG

Jan 29, 2020
Looks like various documents about a new COM-HPC standard are already published and for example Kontron seems to prepare server kind board 160x160mm in the standard and specs. published is:

Size D form factor – 160 x 160 mm
Nextgen Intel® Xeon®
U p to 20 cores, processor TDP up to 120 W (different table in the same pdf mentions 150W)
32x PCIe Gen 4.0 lanes + 16x PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes
Up to 8x LAN Ports for various configuration:
100GbE/2x 50GbE/4x 25GbE + 4x 10GbE
Memory: Max 512 GByte DIMM-DDR4 with 4x DIMMs
Optional onboard storage NVMe
Industrial temperature versions
Embedded management controller

The board seems to be scheduled for 2021. So it looks like the hope for lower power Xeon with some cores may still be right.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I think that will be a follow on to the D-2100 SOC ?
I was going going to say that because m-ITX board size but that’s 170mm x 170mm

interesting :)

Reactions: KarelG

KarelG

Jan 29, 2020
I think that will be a follow on to the D-2100 SOC ?
I was going going to say that because m-ITX board size but that’s 170mm x 170mm

interesting :)
First of all, this is a new HPC-COM standard, so board is with connectors to carrier board. Pictures here: Embedded Computing | Kontron Embedded Computers

Anyway, I think you may be completely right that this is for next gen communication Xeon (D-xxxx). I have not thought about that. I was hoping into Xeon W-22xx successor but obviously my wishful thinking clouded mu judgement. Thanks for correction!

Anyway, as there are several modules sizes defined, manafacturer is free to use even more RAM slots. Kontron above is "Size D" while see Adlink picture: COM-HPC | ADLINK -- which is "Size E".

Conclusion: although I've never seen slides/roadmap of future D-xxxx, it looks like something is in cooking already since Kontrol already reveals availability to Q3 2021.