FusionIO IOdrive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Is it me or does it seem like a FusionIO ioDrive is a thing of the past when it comes to the new offerings of nvme or even raid of multiple ssds? You can get the same iops or speed now with the new offerings.

Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Well, FusionIO was just a company that made PCIe flash storage. They were pioneers of the industry and leaders in performance. Over the years more and more competitors came along and it's now pretty much mainstream. I'm pretty sure the ioDrive line of products pretty much died off when they were purchased by SanDisk. They have a host of other products though and I'm fairly certain (without digging up a bunch of benchmarks) that they are still pretty dominant in the performance and power consumption area. Just looking at specs on their and other websites their current line of products seem to just about double or triple the performance of Samsung's top offerings.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
NVMe and RAID both assume you have certain capabilities in your system.

If you have 2 year old blades, that your company determined would have a 5 year lifecycle at purchase, you have 3 years to live with them. You have one free mezz slot and 2x2.5" drive bays, possibly filled with your boot disks if not booting from SAN. NVMe isn't an option. And the RAID will be all of two drives. Or you add a FusionIO card, in your manufacturers mezzanine slot configuration and add 100,000 IOPS to your application.

It's an odd ball example. But there's still plenty of valid use cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I dunno, you can grab 1.2TB ioDrives off of e-bay for cheap ~$400ea and build arrays out of them that will destroy most any other offering out there. The drives last forever and still have the best wear-life you'll find at that price point.

I recently threw three of them together for some testing and am quite happy with the performance:

They make for a great caching layer as well for any hard-hitting apps or filesystems like ZFS.