Fusion-io / Sandisk SX300 1.6TB Firmware Update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Trying to update the firmware on a Fusion-io / Sandisk SX300 1.6TB that is a HP and here is what I get:

upload_2016-9-15_15-16-33.png

Running fio-status:
Code:
C:\>fio-status

Found 1 VSL driver package:
   4.2.5 build 1266 Driver: loaded

Found 1 ioMemory device in this system

Adapter: ioMono  (driver 4.2.5)
        HP 1.6TB HH/HL Value Endurance (VE) PCIe Workload Accelerator, Product Number:763836-B21, SN:___
        PCIe Power limit threshold: 24.75W
        Connected ioMemory modules:
          fct0: 83:00.0,        Product Number:763836-B21, SN:___

fct0    Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
                The firmware on this device is not compatible with the currently installed version of the driver
        ioMemory Adapter Controller, Product Number:763836-B21, SN:___
!! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device!  Read below for details.
        PCI:83:00.0, Slot Number:2
        Firmware v8.5.28, rev 116474 Public
        Geometry and capacity information not available.

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
            The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.
Any ideas on getting this to work? Maybe @Patriot

ExpensiveToys

Dec 1, 2015
Patrick,

Where did you download this firmware from? I have had some HP FusionIO devices that generic Sandisk utilities would refuse to upgrade (firmware) because the HP part (Device ID?) would mismatch with generic FusionIO parts.

Your best bet then is to find (not easy) the latest driver from HP for that model.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I downloaded both the HP and the SanDisk firmware.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is one: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

That said up to date. I found a 4.1.2 version (sorry lost the link) and that is working. It seems as though it is only working with firmware labeled ioaccelerator_4.*

Looks like I may be stuck using only HPE software which requires a support contract. Bummer.

Code:
C:\>fio-update-iodrive "C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Fusion ioMemory VSL4\Firmware\ioaccelerator_4.0.2-20140410.fff"
WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RUN ANY IODRIVE UTILITIES WHILE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS
  Please wait...this could take a while

Updating: [                    ] (  0%) /
 fct0 - already up to date 8.5.28 rev 116474

C:\>fio-update-iodrive "C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Fusion ioMemory VSL4\Firmware\ioaccelerator_4.1.2-20141212.fff"
WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RUN ANY IODRIVE UTILITIES WHILE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS
  Please wait...this could take a while

Updating: [=                   ] (  5%) \

ExpensiveToys

Dec 1, 2015
Some HP specific part numbers can only be updated via HP provided packages. Which is why I stopped purchasing HP or Dell FusionIO cards. Too much hassle and driver support is lacking.

Why would you need a HP support contract to download software and use it?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Some HP specific part numbers can only be updated via HP provided packages. Which is why I stopped purchasing HP or Dell FusionIO cards. Too much hassle and driver support is lacking.

Why would you need a HP support contract to download software and use it?
The newer downloads are behind the HPE support wall.

Interestingly enough, I had no issues with the HP ioDrive2 1.2TB card when it came to using current SanDisk firmware/ drivers.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
If you haven't fixed this yet, I can probably help you through it.

There are a few guidelines when doing drivers/firmware with ioDrives.

1) If using an OEM drive from HP or Dell, you must use the HP or Dell firmware.
2) Your firmware must match your driver
3) Your driver must match your kernel (If it doesn't match due to a yum update, you must rebuild it from source against your kernel source via rpmbuild).
4) VSL 3 and VSL 4 devices cannot co-exist in the same machine.

I have a bunch of firmwares archived from Fusion-io/SanDisk and their OEM partners and probably have what you need.

-- Dave

Last edited:

mchybo

Oct 22, 2018
HI,

Recently I've bought 3 IBM -branded ioDrive2's with SMP(AVR) Versions: App Version: 1.0.10.0, Boot Version: 0.0.3.1.
I'm using Centos 7 with custom kernel (3.10.0-862 with a small modification) do you have proper driver for this deviece? IBM's webpage does not seem to help at all in finding drivers.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
This may be the most current from IBM...
IBM Support

IBM Support: Fix Central - Please wait, Select fixes

3.2.16 is up on SanDisk's site, I'm not sure if the firmware is the same, but if it is, you can just use the later drivers from SanDisk and the firmware from IBM. Else, you can unzip your IBM firmware, open the manifest file, copy out your model info and put it into the SanDisk firmware...

mchybo

Oct 22, 2018
Wow, thanks for such fast reply.
I've managed to do it myself few minutes before your message.

I've downloaded software and utilities from SanDisk's website and firmware from IBM, flashed latest (3.4.11) firmware to the ioDrives, rebooted the machine and it works like a charm.

Thank you once again for help!