Fusion-io iodrive - This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just installed a Fustion-io iodrive 160GB SLC into a Xeon D platform. It has both a green and an amber light on the rear after installing drivers. When I look at device manager I get an error:
Code:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE
Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve? I already did a reboot but that did not help.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
which version of firmware do you have on the card?
Still working on this. I cannot flash the firmware using the web tool because it will not start. BTW awesome guide. Will try getting it up this week. I was just trying myself.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It ioSphere will start. I am getting this code in device manager. When I go to ioSphere it does not see the card as installed.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
have you tried the drive on any other board?

By no means I am an expert, but perhaps there is a IRQ conflict...

I once had a similar problem where the board wouldn't allow access to IRQ 15 and therefore I couldn't use the card I was trying to use

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
I received the same error when I used 3.2? drivers with the 320GB MLC IODrive I recently received. I tried lots of things then pulled the card, rebooted, uninstalled the drivers and installed the oldest drivers I could find (2.1?). I reinstalled the card, the drivers loaded and fio-status told me what firmware I had (much older than the firmware). The release notes give some indication, but around version 2.3 Fusion IO VSL changes a lot. From there I had to repeat the driver and firmware upgrade process a few times.

With the Duo SLC I just received I just installed the old drivers to learn the firmware and then followed the recommended upgrade path.

Also, retail and OEM cards and drivers seem to be compatible. I believe I used Dell drivers to get my first card up and running because Fusion's support website was down.

Reactions: Patrick

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
Also, the card monitors power usage and won't exceed 25W without a power cable. 25W was the PCIe 2.0 max I believe.

My average power consumption is ~10W and max recorded is below 20W. The max was during benchmarking and I believe the average would be closer to 6W if benchmarking was excluded.

I believe with the 640GB drives and other large PCIe 2.0 cards you'll want a power cable if you're using a PCIe 2.0 board or to change the settings using fio-config if you are using a PCIe 3.0 board.

edit:
A bit more...These cards were designed for lots of concurrent IO. Results may differ significantly depending on workload. I formatted one half of my Duo to 80GB and the other to the stock 160GB. With benchmark tools like Atto and AS-SSD I can't say that the difference in my results is significantly different. I saw ~0.002-0.003ms decrease in access time and a couple MB/s increase elsewhere. Given the 75PB endurance of the SLC card heavy OPing probably isn't worth it except for extremely heavy use. On my 320GB MLC I did see more benefit from 20-40% OP. Not huge, but significant. Given that this card is rated at a generous, but plenty reasonable 4PB endurance I think some OP is likely a good idea.

A question I've had: the cards I have are like new, but were manufactured 4-5 years ago. I know NAND can lose a charge, but does endurance decrease with age? This is a guess, but it seems everything degrades and NAND that was at the lower end of the acceptable spec might fail sooner than expected. I know capacitors go bad, but are there other components to be aware of?

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
The commands I listed in the thread you posted for guides are universal appart from the drivers. If the drivers are loaded under Windows you will be able to run fio-status, if it says it's in minimal mode it's a firmware/driver incompatability issue and the firmware needs to be updated. It also gives you lots of other stats about the card and power usage etc. There is also the thread I made about the iodrive2 in the ssd/Hdd section as for the most part it's all the same commands regardless of version 1/2 drive.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
Cob
Also, the card monitors power usage and won't exceed 25W without a power cable. 25W was the PCIe 2.0 max I believe.

My average power consumption is ~10W and max recorded is below 20W. The max was during benchmarking and I believe the average would be closer to 6W if benchmarking was excluded.

I believe with the 640GB drives and other large PCIe 2.0 cards you'll want a power cable if you're using a PCIe 2.0 board or to change the settings using fio-config if you are using a PCIe 3.0 board.

edit:
A bit more...These cards were designed for lots of concurrent IO. Results may differ significantly depending on workload. I formatted one half of my Duo to 80GB and the other to the stock 160GB. With benchmark tools like Atto and AS-SSD I can't say that the difference in my results is significantly different. I saw ~0.002-0.003ms decrease in access time and a couple MB/s increase elsewhere. Given the 75PB endurance of the SLC card heavy OPing probably isn't worth it except for extremely heavy use. On my 320GB MLC I did see more benefit from 20-40% OP. Not huge, but significant. Given that this card is rated at a generous, but plenty reasonable 4PB endurance I think some OP is likely a good idea.

A question I've had: the cards I have are like new, but were manufactured 4-5 years ago. I know NAND can lose a charge, but does endurance decrease with age? This is a guess, but it seems everything degrades and NAND that was at the lower end of the acceptable spec might fail sooner than expected. I know capacitors go bad, but are there other components to be aware of?
The over provision is to allow the driver to do trim like functions and other optimization in a write heavy work load on the extra op space. It won't make the drive physically faster (mb/s) in a virgin state/pure sequential test.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
Cob

The over provision is to allow the driver to do trim like functions and other optimization in a write heavy work load on the extra op space. It won't make the drive physically faster (mb/s) in a virgin state/pure sequential test.
I almost feel like a fool for my statement, but I have seen some newer "empty" drives perform better with extra overprovisioning. Samsung and other vendors claim it too. That said countless reviews show that overprovisioning helps more as drives fills up and as load increases.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
From my looking around without the drivers the fusion cards are mostly dumb flash attached to the pci-e bus, the driver does almost all of the smarts using your cpu and ram instead of a flash controller ala sandforce etc so the flash goes as fast as the flash goes out of the box but once it comes to rewrites and such it's all down to how the driver has managed the flash in the background this is also how the drive can survive a full flash chip failure and keep working. It's all in their drivers and that's why the firmware and drivers have to be fairly closely matched and some updates that add features completely break support for older firmware and all the cards must be running the same firmwware version in a system.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
From my looking around without the drivers the fusion cards are mostly dumb flash attached to the pci-e bus, the driver does almost all of the smarts using your cpu and ram instead of a flash controller ala sandforce etc so the flash goes as fast as the flash goes out of the box but once it comes to rewrites and such it's all down to how the driver has managed the flash in the background this is also how the drive can survive a full flash chip failure and keep working. It's all in their drivers and that's why the firmware and drivers have to be fairly closely matched and some updates that add features completely break support for older firmware and all the cards must be running the same firmwware version in a system.
Thank you for that informative post!

Now I need to figure out why they're not working on CENTOS7.... maybe more 7.0 fun :X

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
Login to the fusion io website. Download the latest driver for that card that they offer, it should come with the latest firmware and some instructions in a pdf file. If they don't say otherwise you can just get the latest version firmware from hp (google and use the firmware revision you got from fusion io to find the download links easier) and flash the card to that version.

I found the easiest way to flash the card was via the command line rather than their management interface on Windows, it's a very straight forward command and says it either is going to do it or it isn't and the command is the same regardless of os, if you load the newer driver and do fio-status, is the card reported to be running in minimal mode? Or not at all?

Reactions: Patrick