Fusion-IO Duo 640GB (7XVKM) + Dell R810 + Server 2016 = BSOD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmmwhatsthisdo

Apr 12, 2017
Hey there, everyone!

I purchased a Dell R810 earlier this year as my first foray into making a homelab. Recently, I was offered a rather attractive deal on an MD1200 with 7x2TB WD Re drives, dual PSUs and controllers, an associated HBA, cables, and - most importantly - a Fusion-IO Duo 640GB. (The label on the card gave it a DP/N of 7XVKM)

After running into an "unfortunate issue" with the MD1200 (arrived damaged due to a bad packing job), I figured I'd give the Fusion-IO a whirl while I waited for the replacement array to arrive. After plugging it in (on PCI slot 1 - electrically x8), I saw that Windows Server 2016 saw two unknown Mass Storage Controllers. Thinking this was going to be easy-peasy, I grabbed the latest driver package from the FusionIO support page on SanDisk's website, tossed it onto my R810, and RDPed in to install.

Halfway through the install, my RDP session froze and my iDRAC indicated the server BSODed. Restarting for gits and shiggles gave me an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck. Perhaps the install was not as easy as I thought.

After wasting 3 hours removing/reinserting the card and reinstalling things, I realized that uninstalling the software wasn't actually removing the drivers. After removing those, I tried installing the Dell-branded IO Management drivers - still no dice.

At this point, I don't even know where to begin. It seems like the drivers don't go past 2012R2, and while I could update the firmware I can't even get the godforsaken drive to present itself to Windows without having a fit.

Can someone help me through getting this thing up and running? I must be missing something critical here (do I need to manually set IRQs?) and not realizing it.

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I can't even get the godforsaken drive to present itself to Windows without having a fit
Did you attach the drive with "fio-attach /dev/fct0"?

Got yesterday my first iodrives, installed the drivers but the drive didn't show up in windows. I forgot to attach the drive with "fio-attach /dev/fct0"

hmmwhatsthisdo

Apr 12, 2017
It bugchecks IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL partway through the server booting up with the drivers installed and the SSD connected - I can't even get far enough to log in, let alone attach the drive.

Last edited: