Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

homelab_james

Feb 25, 2024
Glad to hear you're all cool and quiet now.
If you get that arduino serial reset working, please pass the goodness. I'd very much like to implement something similar, if I'm not able to just issue the commands via my unraid terminal. Since no one has chimed in on that front, I'm assuming that's not possible...?
I am not sure how to get that to work via the unraid terminal, i'm also in the same boat... I tried a few commands but nothing is working. I just ordered a serial to USB adapter, so I'll have options... since the direct serial connection is not working, maybe a container or script that can talk through the USB to serial might work. Maybe a container. I would love to keep it part of the unraid host and not have to set up a container or vm somewhere else in the homelab, that would be stupid. I'd rather create an arduino box that just connects and sends the "_shutup 20" commands every so often.

I'll report back if I get any automation working.

the commands i tried on unraid console all came back as "command not found" ... I'm using the built in web ui console. I even tried using the "User Script" app with direct bash access, but again, nothing worked because none of the command are working, i just get "Command Not Found"

using minicom:
sudo apt-get install minicom
apt-get install minicom
minicom -s

using screen:
sudo screen /dev/ttyS0
screen /dev/ttyS0
screen

using cu:
sudo cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 38400

everything returns with "command not found" using the unraid built in web console.

its been a few hours and the fans are staying quiet at 20.

Elmojo

Apr 16, 2021
the commands i tried on unraid console all came back as "command not found"
Yeah, same here. It seems like the unraid terminal doesn't have serial communications enabled by default, or something. I'm probably not using the correct terminology, but you get my meaning. :)

WHBonny

Feb 19, 2023
Has anyone been able to come up with anything similar to the md1200 fan control commands for the dell MD3060e/netapp DE6600 60 bay disk shelves? They have the same serial connection and pinout on their controllers (I have the 6gb SAS only versions) and telnet settings are the same as the MD1200/SC200. I can even get a command prompt by entering "c" for admin interface and "c" again for cli. "?" or "help" gets me a list of commands, but there is nothing obvious (to me) that equates to the "_shutup" or "set_speed" commands and those commands themselves do not work, which is unfortunate since this shelf is tolerable at its lowest default speed setting, but occasionally ramps up to a volume that is clearly audible throughout the house even though it is in a room in the basement with a steel exterior door on it. Aside from the noise this is an amazing disk shelf and I would really like to keep using it, but the fans absolutely have to be dealt with somehow.

I have attached a text file with the list of commands that "?" gives.

Along with a lot of other less useful information, "thresholdshow" output includes this:

TempSensor
Overall 00000000
Threshold-ESM 48461E14
Threshold-PS 45431E14
Threshold-DCMA 4E4C1E14
Threshold-DCMB 46441E14
FanTripPoints 44410000
FanTripPoints 4A420000
Fan
Overall 00000000
Fan-0 00000000
Fan-1 00000000
Fan-2 00000000
Fan-3 00000000

Attachments

Elmojo

Apr 16, 2021
I apologize that this is a bit off-topic, but can anyone direct me to a rail kit that fits the MD1200? I'd love sliding rails, but static are okay as well. I've looked all over, and found lots of options, but can't tell for sure which one(s) fit the MD1200 for sure. The part numbers are all over the map. Maybe lots of them fit, or none. lol

MUSTARDTIGER

Mar 22, 2024
Howdy! Figured I'd chime in here.

I recently acquired a 4U EqualLogic PS6100 24x3.5" chassis and added 2x 3DJRJ MD1200 6Gbps Controller Modules. I can confirm the controllers not only work with the chassis and report "GreenDress" as the prompt/hostname (as opposed to reddress, bluedress, etc) but also the set_temp spoofing and fan_speed settings work as well.

I was concerned that although my research revealed the modules would work with the chassis, that the fans wouldn't act the same as my MD1200 because the chassis was never available as a PowerVault and so maybe the PSU/fan firmware was different. Thankfully my concerns were unfounded.

Edit: Been a few days and just noticed my PS6100 went from identifying as "MD12xx" in iDRAC to "MD1240" which doesn't appear to have ever been marketed. Fun fact.

Hey! I recently slotted some controllers from my MD1200s into an MD3200 and a PS6210. Unfortunately the PS6210 doesn't want to work - _who shows all the drives and the SCSI link, but lsscsi shows zero drives in the enclosure. Any chance you'd be willing to do an fru_read dump so I can compare it with my version and see if flashing yours makes it start working?

MUSTARDTIGER

Mar 22, 2024
Good news: on my PS6210, I extracted the FRU data and I was able to write a quick script that parses that output then modifies the magic values in a text file taken from fru_read. As a note, the PS6210 uses the magic "EQ-PIRATES" and 0x84 for the checksum. This worked perfectly.

Bad news: only 12 drives of the 24 show up - I think I'll end up needing the magic values from a PS6100 to make them all show up. Does anyone (@eski?) have one that they can run fru_read on and send me the data from?

Genesaika

Apr 23, 2022
Im having some issues with my new to me sc200. I have it connected to my trueNAS scale box, a HPE DL360 G7. It has a dell h310 in IT mode for the internal disks. I added an HP h222 HBA in IT mode to connect the sc200. TrueNAS seems to recognize the h200 series HBA and if i let it initialize before i plug in the sc200 it finds the drives, but shows them as 0 bytes. Assuming the firmware needed to be updated i picked up the dell reset cable and found that the firmware is version 1.03, which seems to be the latest version.

im at a loss here, best guesses are the h222 ( 9205-4i4e) cant handle the 12 disks, the h222 is defective, or it doesnt like having two HBA cards.