Fun Activity - Possible Main Site Content

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was just thinking,

What if we could define a set of features for a server (or multiple types) and benchmark web prices for specific configurations.

For example:
2U, redundant PSUs, 8x hot swap bays
Dual E5-2620 V3
128GB (16GBx8) RAM
2x 200GB SAS SSDs

We then take those configs and try against Dell, HP, Lenovo and etc. May be a fun exercise.

Andyreas

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Sounds like a great idea! I'd also love some feature under Great deals for currently priceworthy allround servers. I am oftne looking for new stuff but I Always seem to look for the standard hp dl380 g6-g7 things, what else is there out there that is similar. Off topic now, sorry...

Reactions: Patrick

Happymess

Jun 9, 2015
Interested in this, but would also be interested in a slight tweak on the original post - comparing prices of servers that are just coming off lease in reasonable numbers, of similar specs, between the main manufacturers.
This would be a great comparison!

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
It would be a useful resource from time to time. I suppose the fairest way to compare pricing would be to use no-discount list price in $USD across the board - no-one pays list, but everyone gets different discounts and the amounts are often confidential.

Perhaps also include some notes/comments when applicable if the servers come with any non-standard or unique features, eg hot-swap NVMe support in the backplane. Because sometimes for a certain use-case you just want brand X due to it being the only option with killer-feature Y.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
I'm very interested! However, it seems impossible to make a one-size-fits-all configuration.
I think we can compare this with the best-buy-guides of laptops and desktops you see on various sites. They hav the same disadvantage that every user prioritizes specs differently.
Still, it would be a very nice exercise!

BTW, I do and think most of us would really appreciate some 'best offers off-lease' posts in the 'great deals' section. I think it needs some categories, at least in pricing like 'sub 1000', '1000-2500' and '2500+'.

Any ideas?

(I'm really just hoping to inspire someone else to pick this up! :p )