Fujitsu TX1320 M3 - Cheap low power server (barebone)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

buyenne

Sep 22, 2019
I printed some myselft but I get plenty of temp warnings in Truenas Scale with my 10k SAS disks. (had same problems with my Dell T7610 which had plastic caddies and SAS drives. Same Disks / metal caddies in R720 / R330 no problems).
Lot of heat beeing transferred over those.
I will switch to full SSD soon anyway so I will keep my printed caddies.
Main reason for the switch to SSD tho is that the SAS drives are not recognised when attached to the backplane. Connected directly to a HBA through cables and it works as expected.

hoperl

Dec 21, 2022
Backplane is SATA and SAS compatible. But, for SAS support, HBA is necessary. Motherboard support only SATA drives.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So my unit just arrived and wanted to post some baselines. Ubuntu server logged in, idle (clean installation, no GUI installed, LCD connected):

Configs:
Fujitsu TX1320 M3: CPU G4560, 2x8gb 2400 DDR4 unbuffered,
Any particular brands of memory (non ecc) that are needed? Or will just any cheap ones off Ebay do?

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Yeah there could be some exceptions. My Lenovo M720q supposedly also supports 2x32GB DIMM unofficially while officially only 32GB.

Compuram.biz seems to indicate the same for the TX1320 M3:RAM Upgrades | Primergy TX1320 M3 (D3373) Tower Server - max up to 64GB
Could be dependent on the organisation of the DIMM. Compuram indicates for their compatible one: 4Gx72. What is yours?
They removed 32gb sticks from the list. I guess the TX1320 M3 just don't support 32gb modules.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I got 2 spares due them not updating to the latest bios, so I want to build a low power physical firewall for my dad with one of these

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Its less bulky than the Fractal Node 804 he's got now. Ok, that one doubled as remote file server so we needed the space, but he's looking more for power saving (100W [Xeon D+ drives, esxi] ->20W) than saving space :)

The only expense was 10 bucks for the cpu if the ECC mem works, so cheaper than buying a smaller device.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Anybody knows if discrete GPU (without power connectors) is working in this box?

I ordered low profile gtx 1650, but now I'm worried that 8x slot will not deliver enough power.
By the spec the PCIe slot has all power pins at the start and other are just data and ground pins.
The 1650 should draw 75W max. In these boxes is 250W PSU by default so it should be enough right?

Last edited:

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Anybody knows if discrete GPU (without power connectors) is working in this box?
To answer my own question, it does work. I received GPU today. Be aware that onboard VGA will not work anymore, just stuck at Fujitsu logo at boot.
Otherwise works like a charm with stress test.
I ran furmark for couple of minutes and power usage (for GPU alone) was around 67W according to nvidia-smi.

The test has been run on VM in Proxmox 7.2-3, with PCIe passthrough. I hade to uncheck Primary GPU, otherwise the VM stalled at the boot.

StevesTechShed

May 23, 2023
Just picked up one of these servers, and so far so good! Did the BIOS and iRMC updates no issues. Never used a Fujitsu PC before!
I have a G4560 in it at the moment with 64GB RAM, but just ordered an E3-1240v6. On the lookout for cheap 7200rpm SATA drives now to replace the 5400rpm laptop drives I have at the moment.
BTW the company I bought off sold me the drive caddies for £17 each and original 16GB DIMMs for £43 each - I don't know if that's normal price or because I bought the server at the same time - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/itinstock - best contact them.