Fujitsu Futro S920 Thin Client as opnsense firewall

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lexxnsk

Aug 29, 2022
I can't think of any reason the TPU thing should not work in the mini PCIe connector (I'm no expert in PCI specs though, keep that in mind.. o).
I tested a full size GPU in that mini PCIe connector recently and an NVME drive, these two devices worked as expected (for me at least).
No, I meant mini PCIE slot for WiFi card.
the one in between of pcie 4x and cpu radiator

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The cheap (4EUR) PCIe-4x flexible, noname ribbon cable type of "riser" solved the problem for me, not sure anyone posted a picture of it yet, so..
Nice. You can get some quality ones here too including risers that might work:

kungfuman

Jul 1, 2023
hi, first time poster here and a bit of a newbie.

i recently had a 1gb symmetrical fibre line in my home installed and realised my ASUS ac87u router was not up to the task to utilise the full 1gb and maxing out around 750mb/s. so in my quest to find a replacement router i have come across diy builds using opnsense/pfsense. i only need routing capabilities as i have separate wifi mesh via ethernet.

the other day i ordered from ebay an fujitsu s920 with the 415ga, 8gb ram, installed with intel i340 4port nic by seller. does this cpu have the adequate power for 1gb/s WAN? it's just that i note many more users here have commented on 424cc cpu being more capable and now i'm worried the 415ga is not up to the job.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

i recently had a 1gb symmetrical fibre line in my home installed and realised my ASUS ac87u router was not up to the task to utilise the full 1gb and maxing out around 750mb/s. so in my quest to find a replacement router i have come across diy builds using opnsense/pfsense. i only need routing capabilities as i have separate wifi mesh via ethernet.

the other day i ordered from ebay an fujitsu s920 with the 415ga, 8gb ram, installed with intel i340 4port nic by seller. does this cpu have the adequate power for 1gb/s WAN? it's just that i note many more users here have commented on 424cc cpu being more capable and now i'm worried the 415ga is not up to the job.
The 415ga is definitely slower than the 424cc, but I've only seen the difference in using them as thin clients:

For where you might find the difference in pfsense, I would do some searches on any pfsense builds based on the 415ga and see how they fare.

Reactions: kungfuman

mcarni

Jul 2, 2023
guys, I am attempting my first build and i need a bit of a confirmation before i buys something wrong ;-)

On the PC side: I found some s920 on ebay, i am targeting the ones with the GX-415GA chip, i see the motherboard is the D3313-A and from there i get that the PCI port is: "PCI-Express x4 (mech x16)1 x (155 mm / ) low profile (optional)".

On the network card side: i am looking at a mellanox net card which has a PCI-Express x8 interface.
link
edited 08/07. i think i need the low profile version of the card link

i am not really sure of what type of pci ribbon / extension i should buy.
I am guessing that it needs a 8x male side and 8x female side, something like this
but my guess is based on the 155 mm stated by fujitsu for their board (i think it corresponds to 8x),
while the description says x4 (mech x16)
usually guessing leads to mistakes... and basically i have no idea if i need pci ribbon with a 4x, 8x or 16x male side (and 8x or 16x on the female side)

if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be extremely appreciated, thanks

Plus one bonus question. I have the box with useless cords which for sure has some pci cables in it... would it be worth using something that has been lying around for years or it would be wiser to leave the box untouched for another 10-20 years due to the cable age or software incompatibility?

thanks a lot

M

Last edited:

infojunky

Mar 14, 2022

i recently had a 1gb symmetrical fibre line in my home installed and realised my ASUS ac87u router was not up to the task to utilise the full 1gb and maxing out around 750mb/s. so in my quest to find a replacement router i have come across diy builds using opnsense/pfsense...
I honestly don't think you'll notice a big speed difference changing your setup. You're already in the ballpark for gigabit service and it's pretty normal to lose some speed due to testing conditions. Plug a computer directly into the ONT and see if you can beat your score.

But I ran some tests for you anyways by capping my GX-424CC with powerd. I don't have a 1.5 GHz step so I displayed results for 1.4 GHz and 1.6 GHz.

Speedtesting device is a DynaLink DL-WRX36 on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r23530-0e83b5e6cc. The client used is speedtestpp and the command I used was:
speedtest --test-server speedtest1.nyc1.nitelusa.net.prod.hosts.ooklaserver.net:8080 --insecure

killall powerd; powerd -b adp -a adp -n max -M 1000
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1000
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.0C
Download: 571.73 Mbit/s
Upload: 628.29 Mbit/s

killall powerd; powerd -b adp -a adp -n max -M 1400
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1400
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 44.0C
Download: 728.06 Mbit/s
Upload: 752.47 Mbit/s

killall powerd; powerd -b adp -a adp -n max -M 1600
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1600
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.7C
Download: 674.53 Mbit/s
Upload: 871.05 Mbit/s

killall powerd; powerd -b adp -a adp -n max -M 2400
dev.cpu.0.freq: 2400
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 44.7C
Download: 866.57 Mbit/s
Upload: 847.77 Mbit/s

mitiu

Aug 2, 2023
Hi all,
having problems with my current router and having an old Futro s920 laying around, I was planning to use it as my main home router using opnsense features.
Unfortunately, when I started the s920 it didn't boot and all that I heard was a continuos one tone beep (more or less every 1 second), no video output at all.

I searched for bios post codes to try to understand the problem but I didn't find anything related to the s920; on some forums for other Fujitso mobos, they told that this post code was due to RAM problems.
I removed everything from the mobo and restarted the device but the post code didn't change.
I then tested the RAM bank (4MB DDR3) on another laptot and it was (and it is) working correctly.
So tried re-seating the RAM bank on both the RAM sockets of the mobo, but nothing changed.

I also tried following the instructions to recover the bios from this thread (https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...client-as-opnsense-firewall.31087/post-330186) but with no luck, same post code.

Anyone knows what this post code means?
Or have you guys any other advice on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you in advance

• Sad
Reactions: neuralreticulator

paulnd

Aug 3, 2023
Hi all,
having problems with my current router and having an old Futro s920 laying around, I was planning to use it as my main home router using opnsense features.
Unfortunately, when I started the s920 it didn't boot and all that I heard was a continuos one tone beep (more or less every 1 second), no video output at all.

I searched for bios post codes to try to understand the problem but I didn't find anything related to the s920; on some forums for other Fujitso mobos, they told that this post code was due to RAM problems.
I removed everything from the mobo and restarted the device but the post code didn't change.
I then tested the RAM bank (4MB DDR3) on another laptot and it was (and it is) working correctly.
So tried re-seating the RAM bank on both the RAM sockets of the mobo, but nothing changed.

I also tried following the instructions to recover the bios from this thread (https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...client-as-opnsense-firewall.31087/post-330186) but with no luck, same post code.

Anyone knows what this post code means?
Or have you guys any other advice on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you in advance
Hi,

Were you able to solve this as I also have a Futro S920 with the same repetitive beep and no POST?

regards

Later: never mind, even though I had replaced the RAM boards several times, I had to do it one last time for them to seat correctly :)

Last edited:
  • Love

mitiu

Aug 2, 2023
Hi,

Were you able to solve this as I also have a Futro S920 with the same repetitive beep and no POST?

regards

Later: never mind, even though I had replaced the RAM boards several times, I had to do it one last time for them to seat correctly :)
Hi,

yesterday I created a service request on the Fujitsu support page and I'm waiting for an answer. I don't know if I will ever get one...

However, if you are telling me that re-seating the RAM many time solved the problem, you are also telling me that that post code is related to the RAM as I thought and, since I know that that RAM bank works correctly, you are also giving me a little hope :)

As soon as I have the time, I will try again to re-seat the RAM.

Thanks!

plusev

Sep 1, 2023
guys, I am attempting my first build and i need a bit of a confirmation before i buys something wrong ;-)

On the PC side: I found some s920 on ebay, i am targeting the ones with the GX-415GA chip, i see the motherboard is the D3313-A and from there i get that the PCI port is: "PCI-Express x4 (mech x16)1 x (155 mm / ) low profile (optional)".

On the network card side: i am looking at a mellanox net card which has a PCI-Express x8 interface.
link
edited 08/07. i think i need the low profile version of the card link

i am not really sure of what type of pci ribbon / extension i should buy.
I am guessing that it needs a 8x male side and 8x female side, something like this
but my guess is based on the 155 mm stated by fujitsu for their board (i think it corresponds to 8x),
while the description says x4 (mech x16)
usually guessing leads to mistakes... and basically i have no idea if i need pci ribbon with a 4x, 8x or 16x male side (and 8x or 16x on the female side)

if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be extremely appreciated, thanks

Plus one bonus question. I have the box with useless cords which for sure has some pci cables in it... would it be worth using something that has been lying around for years or it would be wiser to leave the box untouched for another 10-20 years due to the cable age or software incompatibility?

thanks a lot

M
hi. Did you do your build. I have my s920 on the way. Does the NIC need to be low profile?

draq1

Sep 11, 2023
Yes, this is exactly what I did. I first saved existing values to file via "EditCMOS.exe save=file.txt" then checked gabisettings.cfg file what those items and values mean and found it. then I tried GetID first and then SetID, to set it, then getid to check it is saved as 151 now. then I rebooted to linux and checked via 'sudo lspci -vvv |less" that the pcie bridges report speed as 5GT/s and random card I tried (VIA805 4x USB 3.0) report speed as 5GT/s too and existing wifi and ethernet report 2.5GT/s as "(downgraded)", previously there was "(ok)" as the parent pci-e bridge port was not faster.

I used FreeDOS bootable usb that I previously used to upgrade bios to latest ( V4.6.5.4 - R1.16.0 (13/08/2018)) . I have the D3313-G1 board with GX222-GC dual core CPU.
I have exactly the same version, but no Windows. Could it be possible to upload the BIOS with the flag to this version(flash USB image)?
D3313-G1 GX222-GC and IBM Inter I340-T4 Downgraded to 2.5GT/s.

fanoush

Mar 11, 2023
I have exactly the same version, but no Windows. Could it be possible to upload the BIOS with the flag to this version(flash USB image)?
D3313-G1 GX222-GC and IBM Inter I340-T4 Downgraded to 2.5GT/s.
Sorry, I don't get what you are asking for. Changing PCI-E speed is not about uploading BIOS and you don't need windows. You can boot from any freedos bootable usb e.g. from FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project and you need the editcmos.exe DOS executable (from post https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...as-opnsense-firewall.31087/page-6#post-345996 ).

Last edited:

zibit

Dec 25, 2023
Hi all.
Got s920 with quad intel nic. I have some problems with this one.
There is 128gb msata drive, which i cant get visible in bios nor i cant install opnsense/pfsense into it (not visible in installer). But theres this thing. Msata drive is visible in every live linux running from usb. I can install ubuntu ect. into it, but after that still cant boot from this drive. Tried to install windows, but installer doest see the drive. Tried to boot from usb to freedos, nope doesnt boot.

Any tips to how get this work. What im doing wrong here? I guess this is bios issue.
Installed bios R1.16.0 / D3313-A13 3.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hi all.
Got s920 with quad intel nic. I have some problems with this one.
There is 128gb msata drive, which i cant get visible in bios nor i cant install opnsense/pfsense into it (not visible in installer). But theres this thing. Msata drive is visible in every live linux running from usb. I can install ubuntu ect. into it, but after that still cant boot from this drive. Tried to install windows, but installer doest see the drive. Tried to boot from usb to freedos, nope doesnt boot.

Any tips to how get this work. What im doing wrong here? I guess this is bios issue.
Installed bios R1.16.0 / D3313-A13 3.
Try a different drive? Also, is it supposed to boot secureboot or legacy/BIOS?