Fujitsu D2607 (SAS2008) IT mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reddi

Jan 1, 2011
I managed to successfully flash the Fujitsu D2607 to IT mode. This was possible with a slight detour.

I got myself a really cheap bricked Fujitsu D2607, which would just stop at the boot process with a blinking cursor. The revival was pretty easy since my Supermicro motherboard allows me to disable the option rom loading.

Now here is the path I took to flash the LSI IT firmware:

After seeing how Dell H200 SAS controller could be flashed to IT mode. I tried to do this the same way (DELL IT FW -> LSI P7 IT FW -> any LSI IT FW). I was able to do this by using the sbr for the Dell H200 SAS Controller. Any other sbr wouldn't allow me to flash the DELL IT firmware to the Fujitsu D2607.
Code:
megarec -writesbr 0 h200.sbr
megarec -cleanflash 0
After a reboot, I was now able to flash the DELL IT firmware for the Dell 6 Gbps SAS HBA. I used Firmware Package Version: 07.01.24.00. The sas2flsh.exe in this package is important, since with this version it is possible to change the Vendor ID later.
Code:
sas2flsh -o -f 6gbpsas.fw
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500..(the controllers SAS address)...
After another reboot, I could now flash the LSI P7 IT mode firmware. Here sas2flsh says "Product ID and Vendor ID do not match". Simply type in "y" to continue the flash process.
Code:
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin
Finally, I was able to flash a newer LSI IT mode firmware. Here, the old DELL sas2flsh is not needed anymore.
Code:
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin
After seeing so many failed attempts to flash this controller to IT mode, I just wanted to show everyone that it is possible to flash the Fujitsu D2607 to IT mode.

lofie

Jul 12, 2013
thanks reddi - this is very encouraging.

However it looks like there are different revisions of the d2607 - and this procedure has not worked for me yet. The sticker on the card shows D2607 A21

Following your procedure, the first stahe works ok. But then the card can not be flashed with the dell fw
sas2flsh -o -f 6gbpsas.fw
...fails with a message saying the controller is rev3 and not supported by this fw.

Did manage to use the dell sas2flsh and directly flash the P7 211IT.BIN instead.
The flash proccess completed, but could not flash to a higher level with the usual mfgpage2 message and could not get into the cards bios/config page.

Tried both IT and IR, and via EFI and bios.

As an aside did anyone notice that the P17 sas2flsh has a "-sbr" flag.

This is just a caution - you may be able to buy these cards at a reasonable price but may not flash to stock lsi fw

Any ideas?

Cheers
A

reddi

Jan 1, 2011
I noticed that, too when I bought a second cheap D2607. This card is also rev3. The detour with the Dell IT firmware didn't work. But I could flash the P15 LSI IT firmware with the LSI sas2flsh. But I can't remember which SBR I used. You might have to try different SBRs (H200, empty, etc.)

lofie

Jul 12, 2013
Success - Flashed d2607 to P17 IT f/w

Update :

Success flashing... However card does not work too well when flashed to P17 IT mode ! ! !

Only one of the SAS8087 connectors work. Iam using sata fan out cables to a passive backplane.
When using a Sun (rebadged LSI 9211-8i card) the system works fine.

Going back to using the d2607 in JBOD mode. Note this only supports JBOD 7 disks per card.

Thanks
A

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The procedure :

Remove all other raid cards from the system

1. IMPORTANT : write down the SAS address of the card

If your d2607 does not have a label on it like mine you can get it using the built in megapcli.

Power on machine and enter into megapcli during boot - <ctrl>+y
Enter following :
Code:
-adpallinfo -a0 -page
And record the SAS address of the card - 500xxxxxxxxxxxxx - (16 hex digits)

2. Write a new sbr
This will enable the dell sas2flash to run. I used an sbr from an Sun rebadged 9211-8i card but have seen sas2flsh work with a dell sbr as well.

Code:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrsun.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
reboot

3. Flash your IT firmware

[Download : DELL_6GBPS-SAS-HBA_A01_R255067 to get the Firmware package - see link in first post,

Use the sas2flsh.exe from the Dell package, but the dell fw may not flash if you have a newer controller (rev3)

Use the 2118IT.bin and mptsas2.rom from the P17 package downloaded from lsi.

Code:
sas2flsh -o -f 2118IT.bin -b mptsas2.rom
This always fails first time at the adapter reset stage. Repeat flash command again. If 2nd attempt fails reboot and it should flash without a problem.

Once flashed successfully - DO NOT REBOOT…

4. Reprogram your original SAS address.

Code:

Some observations :
This was all done using the DOS sas2flsh.exe - so you will need a motherboard that will work with this. Have not yet found a sas2flash.efi which will work in the special way the Dell sas2flsh.exe does.

However the motherboard that would run the sas2flash, after flashing the P17 (or P9, P12, P15...) would not run the lsi bios utility (ctrl-c). Much time was spent running in circles thinking it was a problem with the card+flashing and not the motherboard. Finally the penny dropped and the card was moved to the destination system and all worked well.

Many thanks again.
Cheers
A

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefan75

knife

Mar 6, 2015
The D2607 seems to easily flash to SAS9240 firmware 2.130.404-3836 under the MegaRaid Storage Manager (MSM). Download 20.13.1-0208_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP_2.130.404-3836.zip unpack download with MSM. Increased functionality seems to work (I needed JBOD not available in standard fw on D2607-A21 rev) and reports correct disk size. Down side is that windows sleep and hibernation is not supported (not tried linux yet (there are some reports that this had been a problem with the 9240, still happens with latest lsi driver. Reports ID = 15 LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Fatal firmware error: Line 1480 in ../../raid/1078dma.c. Reboot resolves this but wake-up does not.

Below is the added functionality:
Headless Mode = Yes
Performance Metrics = Yes
Real Time Scheduler = Yes
Support Emergency Spares = Yes
Support Emulated Drives = Yes
Support JBOD = Yes
Support PFK = Yes
Support Power State = Yes
Support Reset Now = Yes
Support SSD PatrolRead = Yes
Support Temperature = Yes
Support the OCE without adding drives = Yes

Jonny

Dec 26, 2016
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let people know who come back to this topic to take a look at this post. Incase they having the same problems I did with my D2607, I was unable to flash it and when I did I could only use 3 drives, but I worked out with a little help, how to get all 8 working.

Hopefully these will helps others.

LINK

Last edited:

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks lofie & jonny !!!
I also had trouble flashing my A21 card.
Thanks to your tip with the DELL_6GBPS-SAS-HBA_A01_R255067 it finally worked.
I could go to P20 directly, but also had to rewrite the SBR-A21 to see all disks.
Great, now I can check if it works with the HP SAS2 expander card :)

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
current config:
- HP DL380G6 with D2607 (IT mode 9211-8i)
- SC846 (bpn-sas-846a) with HP expander
- Windows Server 2012 can access 12x 3.5" SATA disks at about 130MB/s each.

Last edited: