FS: Two 6TB White-Labels; WTB other 6TBs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Apr 12, 2013
Hey guys,

After having one of the three 6TB white-label drives flake out on me, reading around about various sketchy things GoHardDrive does regarding clearing SMART data (which they did on these too), and various other things, I want to get away from using these white-label hard drives, and stick to buying brand-name official hard drives.

So I have two left that still work (for now). No warranties, as GoHardDrive only has a 1-year warranty and I bought these all in December 2015. One of them was replaced mid-2016 with a slightly different looking one.

I'm open to any fair offers, given the uniqueness of these white label products and the fact you rarely see them being sold used, I don't have a set price in mind. Offer away. Per my thread here, they're basically rebadged WD Red drives.

On that note, I want to buy a few actual brand name 6TB drives (preferably not Seagate). Looking at eBay, I can get some REAL WD Red, or HGST NAS drives for $170-180. If anyone can beat that, let me know. Used drives are fine as long as there's no SMART errors.

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
I'll have 8x 6TB Seagate ST6000DX000 ones I've been running raidz2 for about a year. No SMART errors. I'm pulling them out of my server next week when my new 10TB's come in. If you don't find anything by then and are open to Seagates, lemme know.

Apr 12, 2013
Hm, possibly. I've had terrible experience with Seagate so I TRY to avoid them, but if they've been working well I'd consider it for the right price. I've heard ST NAS drives are good, but Google is saying that model is the "Desktop" drive (lower end than NAS), which I don't know much about. All of the drives I've had that went bad were Barracuda 7200.10 or whatever, the older series.

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
Yep we all swore off those versions (750gb, 1.5tb, ouch), but my 90TB's right now is all Seagate (because of price). Haven't had any seagates > 4tb fail me yet.

Apr 12, 2013
I actually bought a 8TB Seagate NAS drive to use for bulk storage, but then those 8TB WD Reds went on sale for even cheaper than I paid for the used Seagate. So I switched to that and am going to sell the Seagate to a friend, who doesn't care about brand as long as he can get cheap storage.

But for the month or so I used it, it did work fine. I surface-tested the whole thing (which took over 2 days in HDS due to the size of the drive) and it all passed.