FS SuperServer 6027TR-HTFRF (4 Node 2u Server with CPU and memory)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
depends on what you are doing with it and what your bottlenecks are I guess;)

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
depends on what you are doing with it and what your bottlenecks are I guess;)
No real bottle neck other then I want more pcie slots and was to run nvme drives. I also want to reduce electric usage. Two servers plus sm HDD 3u jbod and switch is 600ish watts of 24 hour usage.

I run all esxi on both servers and run vms for home and work on both boxes. I'm probably using iver 256gb ram now between home prod vms and develop vms.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah, more pcie lanes is something i can relate to.
Saving energy might work too, but might be alleviated by nvme drives, depending on which and how many you run.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Super cool machine!
I am in Brandon so the drive to you is not unreasonable.

I am looking to upgrade my cpu power from a Dell R710 for Plex, and I never mind more HDD space.
But I see this is 4 individual nodes, so maybe not so great as I cant combine all that power into a single machine.
I also use IPMI to slow my fans down on my R210 and R710 so they are whisper quiet, have you ever tried to do that on this server?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Super cool machine!
I am in Brandon so the drive to you is not unreasonable.

I am looking to upgrade my cpu power from a Dell R710 for Plex, and I never mind more HDD space.
But I see this is 4 individual nodes, so maybe not so great as I cant combine all that power into a single machine.
I also use IPMI to slow my fans down on my R210 and R710 so they are whisper quiet, have you ever tried to do that on this server?
The one node will have more power then the dell r710, especially the one running 25-2680 v2 cpu in it. Great thing with 4 nodes is you can divide up how power is used. You could setup one to do plex, another to do freeNas, one for VMs and final one as a backup, etc. The limiting aspect of 4 node server is limited pcie slots and HDD cages. This server at least has connect card built in so you network needs should be covered as long as you get the right interface, etc. You also have one PCIE slot per server so if you did do FreeNas, you could either put an external HBA card attach to storage unit or Optane drive and then 3 large 10-12TB 3.5 HDD drives into the cage.

Again lots of ways to configure this beast.

I never bother trying to change the fan levels as i had it running away from humans (aka family) so it wasnt a big deal. but overall for 4 node 2u server, it wasnt any louder then my other 2u single board servers.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Probably the best value rack mounted servers around these days if you know how to configure them optimally... I've got loads already, and it's a long haul to buy these ones, which is why I'm giving them a miss.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
Probably the best value rack mounted servers around these days if you know how to configure them optimally... I've got loads already, and it's a long haul to buy these ones, which is why I'm giving them a miss.
@ullbeking care to share your "optimal" configuration please?

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
It's a shame. If this were the 2.5" version I'd be all over it. I've got similar chassis but 2x node instead of 4, looking to get those 2 extra nodes, but i really hate the LFF drives (have to buy adapter brackets) . Sorry to get your hopes up :( GLWTS

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
thanks. I'm thinking if i still have it by the end of Jan I'll probably keep it and claim it as part of my business expenses for the past tax year. I'll just re-purpose it for a new task.