FS: SuperMicro X8SIA-F Motherboard and Xeon X3440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cjo

Jan 2, 2011
FS: SuperMicro X8SIA-F Motherboard

Selling my old hardware set because I need to upgrade to ESXi 5.0. For some reason this particular motherboard (and I found other instances with different hardware) has an incompatibility with ESXi 5.0. There's some form of a management interface that handles some of the PCI-E lanes. Because of this extra barrier, ESXi is not capable of passing through cards that are behind this "switch". Supposedly a fix is in the works but I can't wait around for it. It worked fine for me for the past year and a half in ESXi 4.1 but I upgraded earlier today and found the issue. Since I can't roll back, I decided to just replace the motherboard with new compatible hardware (already purchased). The reason I need 5.0 is because I'm going to start experimenting with OSx based VM's.

The hardware is 100% in working order, and works very well at that. You can build a fairly beastly ESXi 4.1 setup with it but won't be able to move to 5 until whatever fix they have cooking is released.

Please PM with reasonable offers if interested. I am willing to sell the items individually as well. Shipping will be on me, I get a discount through my work.

Last edited: