EU [SOLD][FS] SuperMicro 1½ X10SDV-4C-TLNF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

Selling 2x X10SDV-4C-TLNF - slightly "funky" in behavior.

One is a D-1520, the other is a D-1521

the D-1521 board suffers from unstable IPMI/10Gbit, meaning once in a blue moon - the onboard nic stops responding - otherwise no issues.

The D-1520 board suffers from no apparent issues, except that the perceived performance of the board is extremely slow. I have run CPU/Memory tests and all turn up green, but it still seems to be running slow. No other issues - no IPMI/10Gbit network issues.

Board are sold as is, meaning without any kind of warranty. Some crafty tinkerer might be able to take off the CPU from the d-1521 board and transplant it onto the D-1520 board and end up with one perfect board.

I have been running the D-1520 board as a small esxi hypervisor and it runs stuff just fine. I have been running plex and other servers that require some oompf.

I have just lost my patience with the x10sdv boards and the need to go.

They should be upgraded to latest firmware/bmc/bios, but perhaps a downgrade is what they need.

They certainly need very good cooling, since the 10G chipsets gets extremely hot - which might be the real issue, so perhaps liquid cooling or other correct rack cooling will get the issue to dissapear.

Both boards should have the bios upgrade key installed, so you can do updates of the bios via the web interface.

I would like to get £250 for both boards or one board - meaning I want to get rid of both in one deal, price is the same even if you only take one.

Send me a PM with an offer if you want to pay less.

If you don't squeeze me too much, I will add 2x16GB RDIMM for the boards.

Boards are located in just outside Copenhagen/Denmark.

I accept PayPal or cash/mobilepay if you turn up in person.
Shipping will probably be around £20 depending on where in the EU you are and outside EU, I will have to investigate.

Reactions: Samir

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Generally speaking the non-sfp+ versions of X10SDV need better cooling due to the hot 10gbe chipset. Based on what you've said, it's likely that you are correct that the 10gbe chipset is overheating and freezing. You do need decent airflow over that particular part.

You'd be better off with the SFP+ versions of the X10SDV as the 10gbe chipset is built into the Xeon.

https://www.supermicro.com/CDS_Imag...el_motherboard_active/x10sdv-4c-tln2f_top.jpg
vs
https://www.supermicro.com/CDS_Imag...el_motherboard_active/x10sdv-8c-tln4f_top.png

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
You'd be better off with the SFP+ versions of the X10SDV as the 10gbe chipset is built into the Xeon.
I am not sure what you mean by this?

I am well aware that SFP+ generally uses less watts and thus generate less heat, but I don't see the relevance on this "selling" ad? Unless you are trying to prevent people from buying these?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Hey Bjorn, apologies for the confusion. I'm saying that the 10gbe chipset on your board is likely fine- it just needs better cooling.

Also, just a FYI- all your for sale/trade post need to be in one post.

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
No worries, I thought that was what you meant, but I was not completely sure.

Also, just a FYI- all your for sale/trade post need to be in one post.
Oh I was not aware of this - and it kinds of makes it harder to find stuff, when all titles are "Selling misc stuff?" instead of precise titles?

Last edited: