FS: Storage Server (Norco 4224)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
For sale is the following storage server with components. Moved to a JBOD and a new 2U server.

Price: $500
Case: Norco 4U 4224 with 24 hot swap bays -- Will include the modified fan board as well.
Motherboard: Supermicro X8SIA-F-O
CPU: 1x Intel Xeon X3440
Memory: 4x4GB (16GB total) Kingston DDR3-1066 SDRAM ECC Mem
SAS Expander: Intel RES2CV360 36 port 6 Gb/s SATA SAS RAID Expander Card
HBA: 8 port internal SAS HBA (6Gb/s)
HDD: None

I'm in the Washington DC, USA region and am not interested in shipping this. Price is flexible.

EDIT: Dropped the price.

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I think this is going to be a tough sale at this price. I bought my last two Norco 4224's new for $299. They come with the 120mm fan wall standard now and updated SAS assemblies. The motherboard and CPU are many generations old at this point and probably not worth much to anybody here. The HBA, depending on what it is, could be worth $35-$100. So, the real cost drivers seems to be the Intel SAS Expander and the case. That expander is certainly expensive, even used, but with other options like the Intel RES2SV240 costing more around $150 (I sold my last one on this forum for $100), I think most people would just avoid the premium for the 36 port expander for this case.

Honestly, I'd think about parting the case out separate from the hardware (case at $200 or so), expander $175, HBA $25 - $65 depending on what it is, and sell the motherboard/CPU/RAM locally for $75 - $100. That would be a much easier sale (other than needing to part it out), and would still net around $500 which seems to be a decent price to me.

That being said, I'm not in the market, so you can completely blow my input off, I'm just trying to help (don't shoot the messanger) :)

Reactions: wsuff and carpenike

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I think this is going to be a tough sale at this price. I bought my last two Norco 4224's new for $299. They come with the 120mm fan wall standard now and updated SAS assemblies. The motherboard and CPU are many generations old at this point and probably not worth much to anybody here. The HBA, depending on what it is, could be worth $35-$100. So, the real cost drivers seems to be the Intel SAS Expander and the case. That expander is certainly expensive, even used, but with other options like the Intel RES2SV240 costing more around $150 (I sold my last one on this forum for $100), I think most people would just avoid the premium for the 36 port expander for this case.

Honestly, I'd think about parting the case out separate from the hardware (case at $200 or so), expander $175, HBA $25 - $65 depending on what it is, and sell the motherboard/CPU/RAM locally for $75 - $100. That would be a much easier sale (other than needing to part it out), and would still net around $500 which seems to be a decent price to me.

That being said, I'm not in the market, so you can completely blow my input off, I'm just trying to help (don't shoot the messanger) :)
Hey Rubylaser,

I appreciate the feedback! That's certainly one of my concerns and was trying to avoid parting it out, but may need to do that afterall... or part with it for what would essentially be a bit more than the cost of the expander.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Also, local pickup only severely limits the number of potential buyers.