FS: Mellanox ConnectX-3 40GbE cards and 56Gbps FDR cable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
SOLD!

Thanks for your interest.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have for sale components of a Mellanox 40GbE starter kit which includes:

2x Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN MCX313A-BCBT 40GbE NICs ($225 each) purchased from CompSource Apr 25, 2013

1x Mellanox MC2207310-020 (20m) QSFP+ > QSFP+ 56Gbps FDR optical cable ($225) purchased from Provantage Apr 24, 2013

The NICs are purebred Ethernet cards, not hybrid IB.

The cable is technically a 56Gbps FDR Infiniband cable but it's interchangeable with Ethernet.

I used these as part of a proof of concept and simply don't need them anymore. They all work perfectly and are in like new condition. See photos for actual items up for sale.

Buyer pays flat $5 shipping per item inside of continental US and Actual Shipping fees Internationally. Payment via PayPal preferred.

I've sold several items on the STH forums before so I can provide references if asked.

Please PM me any questions.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
these work in ESXi 5.5? I'm trying to work out what switch is compatible with this ? Is it 10gbe * 4 bandwidth? got any benchmarks showing actual speed?

Would be cool if you could do gpu-direct/RDMA to pipe a screen from the quadro/tesla/grid to another box for remote desktop ;)

Oddly I have a Grid K2 and Quadro but no tesla.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
these work in ESXi 5.5? I'm trying to work out what switch is compatible with this ?
Yes, VMware ESXi 4.x and 5.x compatible.

Is it 10gbe * 4 bandwidth? got any benchmarks showing actual speed?
It's 40GbE.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-SmbServerNetworkInterface

Scope Name Interface Index RSS Capable RDMA Capable Speed IpAddress
---------- --------------- ----------- ------------ ----- ---------
* 18 True True 40 Gbps 10.10.10.100
* 18 True True 40 Gbps fe80::dd86:1d61:...
* 13 True False 1 Gbps 10.10.10.199
* 13 True False 1 Gbps fe80::114d:f17d:...

I was able to get 4322MB/s using iometer on a Starwind RAMDisk as a network share in Windows 2012.

Would be cool if you could do gpu-direct/RDMA to pipe a screen from the quadro/tesla/grid to another box for remote desktop ;)

Oddly I have a Grid K2 and Quadro but no tesla.
If I knew how to do any of that then maybe I would keep this gear ;-)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Tesla's have gpu-direct where it basically bus-masters direct to a mellanox-3 card (not sure IB or ETH) so you don't have to loop back through the CPU and choke it. You know when you have 4 tesla K40's in a workstation - those pesky cpu's get in the way choking I/O.

Good thing! super micro switches have broke $10K for 48 ports of 10gbe SFP+ and 4 QSFP+ 40gb ethernet ports .. :) Would be pretty cool to have 4 x 40gbe ports off clustered storage feeding the slow 10gbe network ;)

If i had not just picked up a GRID K2, I would be all over this. Maybe i'll find a buyer for virtualized nvidia. 4 auto cad stations (4gb VRAM each 700+ rops per VM) sure would be fun with 40gbe to pipe uncompressed dual 30" over Lan :)

You interested in a GRID K2?