FS: Lanner FW-7525C Atom C2518 Fanless Network Appliance with pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
USPS money orders or Google Wallet preferred as PayPal fees add up. Will also entertain trades since I like new toys and rotate through hardware regularly. I think my reputation should help: Heatware

Like the title states, I have a Lanner FW-7525C. It has a quad core Atom C2518 CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM (upgradable), 16GB CF card, and 6 x 1GbE NICs. This is a custom modified version that also includes WiFi (Intel 7260), however the card could be removed for an mSATA SSD or different mini-PCIe card. It is completely fanless and passively cooled, so it's silent. There is also room inside for a 2.5" drive (SATA). Two of the NICs have built in bypass capability that can be toggled in the BIOS.

Currently it has pfSense 2.4.5 installed on it, which it runs quite well. There's a bit of wear on the chassis, but otherwise is in great shape. You will need to supply your own WiFi antennas and power adapter (standard 12V). As the power consumption is very low, I was running it off an 18W power brick and measured only ~10W at the wall.

Sold - $189 shipped within the US or $239 shipped globally

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Patrick

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
What type of wan to lan throughput can one expect with this hardware? What about through ipsec vpn tunnels?

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
Can you determine the SoC revision/date to discern if this might eventually suffer from the LPC-CLK failure?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
What type of wan to lan throughput can one expect with this hardware? What about through ipsec vpn tunnels?
It should route at 1gbit without much trouble. As for IPsec, I think you're looking at ~350mbit going by what others have posted (I only have 100mbit at my colo).
Can you determine the SoC revision/date to discern if this might eventually suffer from the LPC-CLK failure?
BIOS doesn't really say much unfortunately (model gets cut off as you can see). I'm not really sure how to tell?

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Oh - that is a nice little box.

What type of wan to lan throughput can one expect with this hardware?
I have a pfsense running with a celeron J3455 which routes 1gbit/s all day long without breaking a sweat - and I think it could probably route 10git/s without any issue - the problem starts when you start to add traffic inspection or any ipsec - that is when you need a more beefy cpu/platform.

When I run a speedtest maxing out the interface my celeron is using around 20% cpu.
1590136236080.png

But for simple routing/firewallining/nat - a box like this will be awesome :)

I mean ASUS/etc is using broadcom cpu's running @400-800 Mhz and still handles 1gbit/s - people are over estimating how powerful a router/firewall you need for normal purposes.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Another price drop. Surely one of you could use this more than me?

abq

May 23, 2015
Looks like a nice box. I just wish this board had C2758 CPU. Really looking for a C3758, maybe even a SFP+ connection ;).

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
To double check this is a flat speed processor with no turbo boost right? Wall mount/Rack Mount ears?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
To double check this is a flat speed processor with no turbo boost right? Wall mount/Rack Mount ears?
That's correct. In the Atom C2000 line, the models either had turbo boost (C2xx0) or Intel QuickAssist Technology (C2xx8). This one is the latter.

No mounts included, but there are rubber feet on the bottom. Lanner does offer an optional rack kit for it, but they don't ship it by default.

If wall/rack mount capability is a must, I do have a few other industrial PCs in my closet that aren't listed for sale. We can discuss them via PM if you'd like.