FS L3 switch - S5860-20SQ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DerTom

Mar 30, 2021
Hi,

I'm trying to get my homelab up and running. As I'm using just L2 switches at the moment, the routing is done by an OPNsense firewall. As I'm having different vlans and 10Gb connections set up, I would like to use a L3 switch to handle this inter-vlan-routing.

My switches are Unifi switches. As the edgeswitches with L3lite are offering 1Gb ports with just 2 sfp+ ports it seems that this switches are not the solution.... but I found the S5860-20SQ at FS.Com.

I don't know about FS... Is there someone using their switches? Can this switch in particular be recommended for a newbie?

Another option could be the CRS328-24P-4S+RM by Mikrotik but by review the L3 functionality is poor and should not be used.

Thank you!

Tom

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Check the Brocade/ICX thread? How many 10G interface do you need? There are probably plenty of Cisco and Arista alternatives on eBay as well.

DerTom

Mar 30, 2021
Hi LodeRunner!

I'm living in Germany. The Cisco switches I found at Ebay are mostly shipped from the US etc. Too expensive and takes too much time to get here. Therefore I searched for alternatives.

At the moment I'm using nine 10G interfaces.

I will have a look at the Brocade/ICX thread.

My best wishes from Germany

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
+1 for Brocade.

I got multiple 6450-24p shipped from the UK, should still be possible to get them.