FS - Inexpensive JBOD Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I have a Rackable SE3016 and an LSI 9205-8e that I'm trying to sell. I've upgraded to 6TB disks and no longer need all of the extra bays to house hard drives. This setup has worked well for me in Ubuntu 14.04.3 Server, but should work fine with other OS's as well. I would like to sell this in the lower 48 states. Payment via Paypal gift. Thanks!

LSI 9205-8e $80 + free shipping (Flashed with P19 IT Firmware, and low profile bracket only)

Rackable SE3016 $130 + $35 shipping (includes two 8088 -> 8088 cables, and screws)

Or, buy both together for $200 + $35 shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: TType85

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Nope, I had this full of a combination of 6tb, 4tb, and 3tb drives without any issues. I was just trying to reduce my number of spindles and replace some of my very old drives at the same time.

I just upgraded to (10) 6TB drives and reduced the number of total disks, so they all fit in my other chassis. No need for an external chassis at this point.

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the question. In its stock form, it's fairly loud (I wouldn't want it in my living room).

Luckily, there are tons of guides to swap the fans to make it much quieter. I have had it in my basement, so any noise it makes is manageable. It's not ridiculously loud, just louder than you would want in a living space.

This price + shipping is way cheaper than if you buy it from eBay, so you could spend a few extra bucks to silence it if you needed to.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have such a rackable unit. after replacing the 120mm fans it is quiter. but now i got the noise of the psu fan. looking to replace the psu fan, but cann't find one which is suitable in this psu.

i have tested with 5* 10tb sata hdd. all works good, connected to chenbro sas expander