FS: IBM G8124 "SOLD"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xeppo

Nov 13, 2013
How do you connect to the console on this? I've heard that they use a mini-usb connector. Can they connect directly to the computer using a mini-usb to USB cable?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
No they cannot. There is either a mini-usb to RJ45 (cisco cable) or mini-usb to DB9. They're about $60 or so if you need to order them (ask me how I know ;))

hnamanh

Mar 16, 2015
Initially you would need it to setup all your IP address info and setup your management port. Than you would just ssh or telnet into it. You can buy the spare console kit for $44.99 shipped.

Netwise is dead on the spot about the console access.

I can setup the managent port base on the IP address you want. Or you can set it to factory default and it will default to a certain IP address which I don't remember on the top of my head. You than just setup your IP address on your pc within that range to access it.

Last edited:

mrrensing

Jan 6, 2015
You can also roll your own console cable with some basic parts for the DB9 end, a donor mini-USB cable, a soldering iron (or go the crimping route), and some free time.

I made my own for a G8000 and found the pinout in a RackSwitch/IBM document. I got in the habit of stocking small parts for serial cables since everything I seem to purchase on eBay needs a console cable that I didn't already have and I got tired of waiting for a console cable to show up before I could play with my new gear. That and sometimes console cables can be difficult to track down or are stupid expensive for what they are.

If you're interested, I can dig out the pinout doc and take some pictures of the cable I made.

Reactions: hnamanh

Xeppo

Nov 13, 2013
No they cannot. There is either a mini-usb to RJ45 (cisco cable) or mini-usb to DB9. They're about $60 or so if you need to order them (ask me how I know ;))
Teach me your ways! Seriously... I have a basically useless g8052 sitting in my apartment right now.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Anyone know off the top of their heads:
1 - airflow direction on these
2 - depth of the rail kit? is it adjustable?
3 - what the difference is between this and the -E model?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Teach me your ways! Seriously... I have a basically useless g8052 sitting in my apartment right now.
My ways just involve ordering the part :) Check with mrrensing above (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/fs-ibm-g8124.5669/#post-49010) . The part number you're looking for is 59Y1966, but this came with extra power cables and such as well. It was basically a "all the cables from the box" kit. Any Lenovo reseller can order them (surprised me when I found out, as we're a Lenovo reseller at work, and I also have G8124 and G8264's, so that was handy... not as handy as it would have been a year ago :()

Reactions: fohdeesha