EU SOLD:HGST 4U60 Gen 1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
As the pendulum (performance vs power saving) swings to the other side I decided to move away from the (never implemented) dual JBOD dual HBA fully redundant ESXi storage system back to internal storage so I got some more things to sell.

1. HGST 4U60 Gen1 - sold
    I got two of those, with matching cables (and likely HBAs too, need to see if I got 4 left or only 1-2). I can provide them with the much sought after 2.1 firmware that allows 3rd party drives to be run or updated to the latest, whatever you prefer. One has been in use (still is as of now) as my FreeNas external chassis with 20 SAS3 HGST 6T drives - working great, but not really low power. The other has only been used to do functionality/firmware tests so is basically unused.
    I got the rails and original boxes for these.
    Shipping might be expensive but I am happy to try to meet up or put them on a pallet (got one, not 2 i think) if you want to organize something. Also happy to meet up in a reasonable distance from FFM/Germany.
    At this time looking for €700 inc two cables, can throw in HBAs as much as I have but not explicitly included.
    This includes a VAT invoice but no warranty from my side. There might be warranty/support left from HGST, havent checked in a while.

Drives removed

As always let me know if you have questions, think the pricing is too high or want to shoot an offer.

p.s. Just in case - if you want referrals I am happy to provide them ;)
p.p.s If you want to build a system around the drives I also have lots of other parts (chassis and internals) I need to get rid off

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

StevenOnTheRocks

Jul 14, 2020
Just acquired a DAS myself, but missing drives & HBA...
Would be looking at 4 drives shipped to Norway (so ex-VAT), and would be extremely grateful if you had a spare HBA you could sell along with the drives :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am sorry but thats probably not economical since i need to officially export those to be able to sell them without VAT and i cant do that without the help of a company which will incur a fee.
Happy to do so o/c.

Not sure how it would work if you could provide a certificate of import/export from your customs... never tried that before.

Last edited:

StevenOnTheRocks

Jul 14, 2020
Isn't it enough proof with tracked shipping to Norway, which is outside EU? You'd know more about the logistics on your end then I do, so if you say it's unfeasible, I trust you.

From German customs:
Die Lieferung von Gegenständen, die durch den liefernden Unternehmer oder den Abnehmer in das Drittlandsgebiet oder in die in § 1 Abs. 3 Umsatzsteuergesetz bezeichneten Gebiete (insbesondere in die Freihäfen) befördert oder versendet werden, ist bei Vorliegen aller Voraussetzungen als Ausfuhrlieferung umsatzsteuerfrei. Die Voraussetzungen dafür müssen sich u.a. aus entsprechenden Belegen - Ausfuhrnachweis in Form einer Ausfuhrbestätigung der Grenzzollstelle, eines Versendungsbelegs oder eines sonstigen handelsüblichen Belegs - ergeben.
To me, this reads as proof of shipping to ex-EU is enough as proof of export :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am happy to inquire with the IRS for that, but up untill now I thought I'd need customs to inspect the shipment as proof that it contains what it says it contains - but have not tried it to be honest

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
6 drives from Lot1 (used, €50 ea) :)

And sure, got HBAs too, 8i or 16i, what do you need?:)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nobody interested in the 4U60 ?

To big & heavy? To expensive?
No Cash? I could use a bunch of large NVMe drives (ideally >4TB) if you have some

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well the 6TB I had were not too bad, so I'd expect 8TBs to be acceptable in a few months... just need to catch the deal;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I need some space and those babies take a lot up - so considereing lower offers to get those moved.