FS forum suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone willing to do business with another person/member does so by their own choice, and at their own risk and only that person should be able to judge what they're willing accept or not and what risk they are willing to take.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
As a frequent buyer and seller I'm personally not very interested in most of those changes, although I'd be fine with them if the community decides they're mandatory.

- External Feedback - I think this is something that is great to add if you have it, but should not be mandatory. For the regulars here I think their local reputation is more valuable and for new members I wouldn't exclude a seller just because they haven't used those other sites. You have to start somewhere.

- Timestamps - As mentioned earlier in this thread scammers can either fake these timestamps or take pictures of real items and just not send them. As a buyer I've never asked for this or care too much if a post has them. As a seller I am happy to do this if a buyer asks for it, but I usually won't go to the effort unless asked.

- Prices in listings - I'm all for keeping the prices in the sale thread as I like to refer to them as a source of market trends, especially when preparing my own sales. As for listing the agreed price and who purchased it I'm not sure I think it's reasonable to compel people to do this. Listing agreed prices ends up negotiating against yourself if you have multiple items. I don't think we've seen much or any of the selling a single item multiple times here yet.

As @T_Minus pointed out it's up to each seller and buyer to determine the effort they're willing to put into reducing risk and how much risk they find acceptable. If the transaction isn't leaving you comfortable it's best to politely walk away.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Would be great if there was a way to determine the region the seller is willing to ship to - [ ],[AU],[EU] are only indicative. O/c most ppl not bothering adding in the title won't ship outside (US mostly) but nevertheless.
Second it would be great if you could search/filter for that, i.e. show me all threads shipping to [AU],[EU] ... :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Shipping is also difficult if you list more than one type of item in a post though... for example you could ship some memory, cpu, or a ssd around the world cheap but a rack sever no way.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
True, but I'd be happy to see the willingness of someone to consider out of state shipping opposed to US only;)
Honestly, if somebody is willing to pay shipping of a rack from US to AU (and provides a carrier and maybe pays for packaging) - then why not?:)

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
What about a rule that enforces 1x active FS post and 1x active WTB post per user? I have seen lately a lot of users posting a new thread in the FS section for every item they are selling.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What about a rule that enforces 1x active FS post and 1x active WTB post per user? I have seen lately a lot of users posting a new thread in the FS section for every item they are selling.
Report them.

I haven't seen someone posting 1 item then another thread for 1 item, etc... I see groups of items, and I do this too because it can get hard to read when you have a long list of say networking stuff and then CPUs, or complete systems and misc. parts then combine that with tons of replies, etc...

I def. don't think we want 1 item then 1 item then 1 item in various posts so if you report they'll get combined.

Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Would be great if there was a way to determine the region the seller is willing to ship to - [ ],[AU],[EU] are only indicative. O/c most ppl not bothering adding in the title won't ship outside (US mostly) but nevertheless.
Second it would be great if you could search/filter for that, i.e. show me all threads shipping to [AU],[EU] ... :)
Shipping is also difficult if you list more than one type of item in a post though... for example you could ship some memory, cpu, or a ssd around the world cheap but a rack sever no way.
True, but I'd be happy to see the willingness of someone to consider out of state shipping opposed to US only;)
Honestly, if somebody is willing to pay shipping of a rack from US to AU (and provides a carrier and maybe pays for packaging) - then why not?:)
In my opinion, this is not going to happen.

As a seller, I sometimes ship to other countries and to be honest it's more than just "do you ship to AU"... has to do with the person a lot too and lots more. Shipping to other countries is more than just cost and hassle it's also about potential fraud too, so it's a case-by-case basis.

Beyond that it can be about the situation of the seller, maybe they would ship to AU this week but can't next week due to other obligations. Shipping to other countries takes more time and planning as well as protection in shipping.

If I saey I ship to AU then you want to buy it and tell me your addres sis AU and I Say "oh no I can't do that for 2 weeks" the buyer is going to be upset / got their hopes up, etc.

Just message the seller or post in their thread, very simple to do "do you ship to ___" that's it.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Cleaned up the user who had 4 or 5 threads at the top of "For Sale" and removed another thread lacking shipping/payment information.

If you don't put in your shipping or payment info in a for sale thread you'll get a warning BUT if you repeatedly do it I will delete your thread and you'll get a msg telling you to start a new one with the missing info.

PLEASE save yourself time, and me and post the information :)

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Cleaned up the user who had 4 or 5 threads at the top of "For Sale" and removed another thread lacking shipping/payment information.

If you don't put in your shipping or payment info in a for sale thread you'll get a warning BUT if you repeatedly do it I will delete your thread and you'll get a msg telling you to start a new one with the missing info.

PLEASE save yourself time, and me and post the information :)
Can someone add this to the rules sticky in the for sale section? I think it makes great sense to make it mandatory, but we may as well save new users and @T_Minus the hassle and make it clear that it's an expectation those items are present.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
In my opinion, this is not going to happen.
Just message the seller or post in their thread, very simple to do "do you ship to ___" that's it.
Good points. I see some technical issues as well, but at least wanted to raise the topic, it would be a lot more comfy with more options. But it does work without them too:)

Would be a search filter for the Tags possible ? I.e. show me all threads for AU/EU in the FS forum?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Would be a search filter for the Tags possible ? I.e. show me all threads for AU/EU in the FS forum?
It seems like the AU/CAN/EU don't actually work in the tag search. Searching for EU or AU in the thread title for the specific forum seems to do what you're looking for while still including people who type it in rather than select the flag.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It gets mapped in the title (the flag) ? Never noticed - while give it a whirl, thanks

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Can someone add this to the rules sticky in the for sale section? I think it makes great sense to make it mandatory, but we may as well save new users and @T_Minus the hassle and make it clear that it's an expectation those items are present.
I modified it, but @Patrick may change it / delete it / add to it.

I've added:

16. You must post which payment method(s) you will accept.

17. You must post which shipping method(s) you plan to utilize and where you are shipping from (state or region is acceptable vs. specific city or zip code).

I was thinking @Patrick maybe we create a reply to the sticky, and the reply is simply "What's required to post something for sale" as-in the 16, 17 above, and maybe a couple of the other from the long-list of items.

The list is more of the 'rules' to participate. I think it may be nice/clear to see what's required to actually have in your "for sale thread" , just another thought :)

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@T_Minus - thanks for those catches and the edits. I am OK with them.

In terms of a second post, I want people to read that entire thing.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
How about a rule to restrict "Threadcrapping" if you have an issue with someones prices take it up with them over PM.

"No THREAD CRAPPING. It is rude and will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with the price, the seller or the conditions of the sale, contact the seller directly, do not post it in the thread."

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If what is said is TRUE how is that "thread crapping". The truth sometimes may hurt feelings but that's life.

Keeping things "quiet" to prevent hurt feelings at the risk of another user having a potential issue that we as a community could have helped prevent by simply speaking up is absurd.