FS: EX4200-24P

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Hello everyone!

I am a long time lurker at STH and have been working on getting a home server/network put together, unfortunately my first attempt was a bit ill conceived on my end, although I got them at a good price. Lots of you probably already know that the Juniper EX-4200 Series switches are louder than hurricanes, so the wife said NO.... My loss is now your gain!

UPDATE:
Rusty has left the building, with a nice card!
Only 1 switch and XFP card remaining.

The Good:
For Sale are 2 EX-4200-24PS switches, each come with dual redundant EX-PWR-600AC PSUs (the big models) and rack ears. They are fully tested working. I factory reset each unit after testing them; they are running an older version of JunOS 10 I think (cannot remember off hand since it's been a week or so). I also have a matching set of 2 EX-UM-2XFP 10 Gigabit Cards from the above listed switches, also tested working when I bought them.

The Bad:
I purchased these units for my home network/JunOS lab from a local e-waste recycler. This means they're a bit scratched and dented, but that wasn't an issue for me since I planned on sticking them in the closet. They are LOUD, too loud even for my closet, I mean I turned them on and the wife thought I was insane for buying them... One of the units I have fondly nicknamed Old Rusty. All indications say that these units were decommissioned from the same location, but one of the units has some rust/corrosion on the rear casing between the PSUs and around the large side intake. I've cleaned up much of it as it was mostly surface but I don't know if any damage was done to board of the unit.

Link to some pictures of the units:

Juniper EX-4200-24P by Mam89c

I'm asking $100 per switch (including 2 PSUs and rack mounts) for the clean guys, $75 for Old Rusty (he also comes with his PSUs and rack mounts).

The XFP cards I would like $150 each but am willing to make a deal for all three

If you decide to buy all the units together with cards, I'll let it all go for $450

These switches are located in Southern California, Inland Empire area. So if you're local and I don't have to ship to you that would be great! If not, I can arrange shipping in Lower 48 USA, but it's going to be on your dime for the switches, they're heavy sons of guns. The cards, if bought separately, I will ship for free.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Yeah, these things are super loud. They make my 3u Supermicro startup sound quiet, while they idle.... I would put them in my garage but SoCal summers plus unairconditioned garage is probably a very bad idea. Tiss a shame as they're some beasty little things.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, these things are super loud. They make my 3u Supermicro startup sound quiet, while they idle.... I would put them in my garage but SoCal summers plus unairconditioned garage is probably a very bad idea. Tiss a shame as they're some beasty little things.
Central Valley CA summers are worse. :D

I've got two of those EX-4200 beasties in my garage rack ... I do a lot of labbing during the winters, not much during the summers. Gotta get the garage insulated and a mini-split put in there. None of which is cheap - the quote I got a couple of months ago was about 2-3x the cost of what I'd invested into my lab itself (24U worth of network/server gear).

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Oh man, see you're giving me ideas over here and I'm trying to work within a budget. I'm lucky enough to have been given 90% of my homelab for favors/services provided: 3U superserver, small cisco stack for CCNA, some bits here and there. The Junipers were my attempt at killing two birds with one stone (JunOS lab/Wiring up a new house), and my first "major" purchase. I wish I could afford an insulated rack to put them in, much less decking out the garage, but I really like food too hahaha. I've got a line on an HP 1910-24P (which should be much quieter) that should work for the house, but I need to offload the Junipers first :(

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Bump, still for sale. Really don't want to ebay these things in case I can help a fellow home-lab'r

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Do these have 10gbe uplink?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, I have 3 of the EX-UM-2XFP 10GbE uplink modules/cards (1 for each switch). These provide each switch with 2 XFP 10G ports which can be used for uplink (I was going to do just that myself). From my understanding the XFP can be connected to SFP+ on the other end just fine if that is what is needed (using either corresponding fiber transceivers or a cable like this: 10G XFP to SFP+ Cable Manufacturers - 10Gtek)

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Update! One unit sold. So I've got two units left, one more nice one (to also be listed with better pictures *soon*) and Old Rusty with all the PSU's, Rack Ears, and both 10GbE Uplinks still.

Also, I'm very willing to do trades for some odds and ends. Looking for 2TB 3.5" HDDs, some smaller boot SSDs (2 would be great for raid1), 8GB DDR3 ECC ram is nice, or a bpn-sas2-836el1/2 so I don't have to only use 2TB drives lol

Last edited:

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Bumping! Finished loads of house stuff, finally getting back to the lab.

I still have two units, one clean, one a bit rusty. Both work 100% Both cards are still available, very clean also.

Looking to get these guys out of the house as I already found replacements. Wanting to upgrade my server/lab, so still looking to trade for 8GB DDR3 ECC, 2TB Drives, a better backplane, HBAs, 10Gb Nics, etc.... Basically toss something out and see if it sticks.

Last edited:

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Any interest in a pair (or more?) of Myricom CX4 10gb cards? ;-) Also, what threshhold for high clock in the 56xxs?

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Update! Two switches down, one left!

EX-4200-24PS w/ EX-PWR-600AC (qty 2) $100 + shipping
&
EX-UM-2XFP 10 Gigabit Card $150 shipped

Or $225 + shipping

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
jpk: I just got a pair of x5670's in trade, so that pretty much takes care of my lone server-in-need. And o_O what kind of cards are those? XD

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Crap! I missed your post! :(
They are similar to this: www.ebay.com/itm/322422075006
I was going to use them a long while ago on XFP->CX4 modules in a pair of Juniper switches, but the Junipers went off to production, and the cards never made it.
I think I have 5 of them