FS: Dell Wyse 5070 J5005 with SFP 2nd NIC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
USPS money orders or Google Wallet preferred as PayPal fees add up. Will also entertain trades since I like new toys and rotate through hardware regularly. I think my reputation should help: Heatware

Like the title states, I have a Dell Wyse 5070 thin client up for sale. It is the unicorn model with a 2nd SFP NIC. I've never seen one up for sale or anyone else in possession of one. I'm fairly certain it's a custom SKU for the US government/military given that it also has a CAC reader, which may be why the NIC is so hard to find. It's also PCoIP enabled if you want to tinker with that.

With that said, I never wound up using it, so it's new open box. It's under warranty (with ProSupport and on-site service) through July 2023. Aside from the stand and power supply, a Dell mouse and keyboard (not pictured) are also included in the original box.

$229 - Sold

Last edited:

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have two base model 5070s (without the SFP).
This will run windows 10, as well as a variety of linux distributions.

It is easy to add 4gb of ram for the 2nd slot, for a total of 8gb.
Going over that is a bit fussy. Apparently, you need dual rank dimms.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
Those m.2 nics are super rare. You can buy a third party one, but its like 130 bucks.

I run a Wyse 7040 with a i5-6500te and debian as a rock-solid infrastructure box for all my home automation stuff. Would love to find a second NIc so I could also run pfsense in a container

tigger2014

Feb 21, 2021
Do you still have this, Id like to take it off your hands but im based in the UK, Any chance i could buy the sfp bits if possible?

cirni

Jan 24, 2022
hey guys, I have a couple of Wyse 5070 and I'm struggling to find the SFP Nic. Can anyone direct me with a link? I'd really like to try out pfsense and I have a fiber connection on the WAN side. many thanks

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You're honestly not going to be able to find one. I mention why in my original post.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
all, as a headsup if you cant find the copper NIC, these both work great in my Wyse 7040. There is also a 2.5 multi-gig version from commell, the m2-225

• commell: Commell M2-210 A-/E-Key Gigabit Ethernet Card: This is an Intel I210-AT 2230 M.2 A+E card that fits in the Wifi/2nd Ethernet slot of the 5070. The daughter board needs to be cut; it comes perforated about half way along the length. I also filed down the solder tabs on the ethernet jack at the bottom of the PCB. Cost was about $45 + shipping from one of their distributors.
  • winyao: Winyao 8111-M2-C / DFRobot FIT0798: This is a Realtek RTL-8111F 2230 M.2 A+E card that fits the Wifi/2nd Ethernet slot of the 5070. It comes with a small metal shield (presumably designed to allow mounting in a standard DE9 port - i.e., VGA or serial knock out). I found it easier to adapt with the shield removed - just unscrew. Cost was about $18 + shipping direct from DFRobot. They sell this for their LattePanda products and it is also available from Digi-Key and Mouser Electronics. The Winyao (OEM) product is listed on several Chinese parts sites too. If you use this with a FreeBSD-based distribution (including pfSense, OPNsense, etc.) count on using the realtek-re-kmod (google) driver package.
3d adapter (not mine) to hold either of them in the 5070

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Look what you made me do - now I have gone and bought 5 brand new of these for a little test cluster :-D

And since they apparently can take 32GB of ram I think it will be a nice little cluster for kubernetes or docker or something fun :)

But since mine comes with 8GB ram each - I think I will start with that and see where that takes me, since 10x16GB SODIMM memory modules will cost around 2 times as much as I paid for these machines.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I found some cheaper versions of a replacement NIC:

How the quality is - is unknown - but @ 20 -> 32 USD it seems like a nice experiment to get an intel NIC.