FS: Dell PowerVault MD1000 + 15x interposers + accessories [SOLD]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a Dell PowerVault MD1000 (15-bay 3.5" HDD) disk array that I need to retire. Details:

1x Dell PowerVault MD1000 chassis
1x MD1000 faceplate
15x 3.5" HDD trays + screws (the screws are a little hard to find some times, so I'm including all of them)
15x interposer adapters (allows you to use SATA drives in split mode, otherwise SATA drives can only be used in unified mode)
2x controller modules (AMP01-SIM)
2x PSUs
2x SAS cables (goes with the PERC6/E below)
1x MD1000 rackmount rail kit
2x Dell PERC 6/E controllers (BBU condition unknown, may need to be replaced, but card should still work - really including this as a bonus so buyer can immediately test the unit)

One caveat, the PERC6/E is old, and only supports up to 2TB drives. I'm including it with this sale so that buyer can immediately have a functional working package. HOWEVER, from what I understand, if you get a Dell H800 controller with the appropriate external SAS cable, this unit can support 6Gbps and >2TB HDD. (EDIT: just spoke with ebay sellers about this configuration, and they claim it works to recognize >2TB HDDs, but links at 3Gbps.) At least, this appears to be what some ebay sellers are selling:

Dell PowerVault MD1000 15x 4TB 7.2K SATA 6Gbps 60TB w/ Interposers + PERC H800 | eBay

The last part is unconfirmed by me, so do your own research online.

Note that the AMP01-SIM controllers do have some sort of SAS expander chip inside. And the SAS cables only carry 4x SAS lanes, so don't expect more I/O bandwidth than the cable can carry. If you operate in 'split mode', 8-bays to controller A + 7-bays to controller B, you can get more I/O out of it by controlling each half of the array with it's own controller. In 'unified mode', all 15-bays are controlled by a single controller; and I think the 2nd controller becomes a redundant link (not sure of this one; been a long time since I used it that way).

Shipping won't be cheap, the unit is 3U and about half depth and the rails/etc. will require a bulky box. Expect some where between $50-$100 for shipping, or if local to San Diego county, free pick up.

I looked up all the pieces I'm including in this package on eBay, and looks like it would add up to over $350+. I'm not going to ask for that much:

- ASKING PRICE: I'm going to ask for $200 + actual shipping
- SHIPPING: via FedEx or UPS (USPS rates for something like this are typically really high, but if you insist and willing to pay for it, I can do USPS too). Local pickup OK. it's not going to be cheap, the unit is probably about 50lbs without hard drives. if you have a discount with your shipping account, you can send me label.
- PAYMENT: I can take PayPal, Google Wallet, or cash (in person).

Feel free to ask any questions; i'll try my best to answer them.

IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1205.JPG IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

Last edited: