FS - Cheap Memory, HP Servers, and Parts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Update 1 - Memory quantities have been added! Cheap memory for all! More cheap DDR3 and DDR2 will be added shortly. (4GB sticks are now $1 per GB!!!)

Update 2 - Images of my rack and some memory have been added. I will add more soon and can provide info on any system/component if you'd like! STH (John Titor)

Hey all, this is a non-commercial posting for some HP servers that have been taking up space in my home office. Before looking through my post, please read all of the bullet points below.
  • For all online sales, I use PayPal for payments. This provides buyer protection and payment tracking.
  • For in-person sales, I use either PayPal or Square (I can swipe cards with this), and they provide buyer protection. I am located in Houston, Texas if you wish to pick-up. (I'll be in Tokyo for the holidays if you wish to pick-up RAM or small items then!)
  • All serious buyers for my servers will be given temporary remote access to the server of their choice prior to the sale. We will use TeamViewer (freeware for simple remote connectivity to a Windows VM that can access the server. Yes, you can install an OS to the server itself at this time if you wish to run any really specific tests)
  • I made this posting on Word Pad, so I apologize for any bad formatting
  • If you're interested in the DL380p Gen9's, be sure to read the extra info at the end of the posting
  • Pictures for anything are available upon request!
FOR SALE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4GB DDR3/PC3 ECC Registered RAM
All sticks, any variety, any speed, any rank --> $4 each

Heat-Shielded
--------------

(x5) Elpida 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

(x1) Hynix 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

(x24) Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
(SOLD)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Non Heat-Shielded
------------------

(x1) Micron 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800E

(x1) Micron 4GB 1Rx4 PC3L-12800R

(x1) Samsung 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-12800R

(x3) Hynix 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-12800R

(x1) Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600E

(x2) Samsung 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600E

(x18) Samsung 4GB 1Rx4 PC3L-10600R

(x3) Micron 4GB 1Rx4 PC3L-10600R

(x5) Hynix 4GB 1Rx4 PC3L-10600R

(x5) Samsung 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-10600R

(x3) Hynix 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-10600R

(x2) Micron 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-10600R

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Ethernet 10gb 2-Port 530t Adapter (2 Available)
Price --> $185

- Full Height Bracket ONLY
- RJ45 Ports (Not SFP!)
- Revision 0A
- Part Numbers: 657128-001 & 656594-001

(I've also got an HP NC523SFP 2-Port 10GB card as well if you need SFP)

DL320e Gen8 --> 1U
Price --> $275
(Pending - Still accepting offers)

- i3-3240 (LGA1155)
- 8GB DDR3 12800e DRAM (2x4GB)
- 4 LFF HDD Slots Total (3 Blanks Included)
- (x1) HP 500GB SATA 7.2k LFF HDD
- (x1) PCI Riser Cage (with 2 X8 slots I believe)
- INTEGRATED
- 4 USB 2.0 Ports
- 2 1GB Ethernet Ports (RJ45)
- 1 1GB iLO4 Remote Management Port (RJ45)
- 1 350W Power Supply
- 1 VGA Port
- 1 COM Serial Port

DL380p Gen9 (1) --> 2U
Price --> $2,800

- New 2016 HPE Firmware - Both SPP and IP
- (x2) Intel ES E5-2695v3 (with 2 High Performance Heat-Sinks)
- 32GB DDR4 2133P DRAM (2x16GB) --> 24 RAM Slots Total (2 used)
- (x1) HP 726738-001 Smart Array P440ar/2GB FBWC SAS Controller
- (x6) HP Fans (Max Config)
- (x1) PCIe Riser Cage (with 2 X8 slots and 1 X4 slot)
- (x1) 8 SFF Drive Cage (holds eight 2.5" SFF Drives. SAS or SATA) w/ 2 SAS cables going to the P40ar
- (x1) High-Performance Airflow Baffle (peice of plastic for optimal cooling)
- (x1) COM Serial Port (This is an add-in item. They aren't integrated to the mobo for Gen9 Systems)
- (x2) 800W HP Gen9 Power Supplies
- (x1) Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Branded DL380 Gen9 Faceplate (looks SLICK!)
- INTEGRATED
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports
- 4 1GB Ethernet Ports (RJ45)
- 1 VGA Port
- 1 Open slot for an "ALOM" PCIe card

DL380p Gen9 (2) --> 2U
Price --> $3,400

- New 2016 HPE Firmware - Both SPP and IP
- (x2) Intel ES E5-2695v3 (with 2 High Performance Heat-Sinks)
- 128GB DDR4 2133P DRAM (8x16GB) --> 24 RAM Slots Total (8 used)
- (x1) HP 726738-001 Smart Array P440ar/2GB FBWC SAS Controller
- (x2) PCIe Riser Cage (with 2 X8 slots and 1 X4 slot) --> this DL380p G9 comes with 2, unlike the others
- (x1) 8 SFF Drive Cage (holds eight 2.5" SFF Drives. SAS or SATA) w/ 2 SAS cables going to the P40ar
- (x1) High-Performance Airflow Baffle (peice of plastic for optimal cooling)
- (x1) COM Serial Port (This is an add-in item. They aren't integrated to the mobo for Gen9 Systems)
- (x2) 800W HP Gen9 Power Supplies
- (x1) Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Branded DL380 Gen9 Faceplate (looks SLICK!)
- INTEGRATED
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports
- 1 VGA Port
- 1 Open slot for an "ALOM" PCIe card
- 1 Set "quick snap" rail kit for HPE D380p Gen9

DL380 G7 (1) --> 2U
Price --> $240 (This is the price for 16GB of RAM)

- (x2) Intel Xeon E5506 Processors (LGA1366) (with 2 Heat-Sinks)
- Memory Configurations Available (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB) (18 DDR3 memory slots available total)
- (x1) 8 SFF Drive Cage (holds eight 2.5" SFF Drives. SAS or SATA) w/ 2 SAS cables to the mobo Controller
- (x1) Dual Riser Cage (2x Risers) with two X4 PCI slots each
- (x2) 1200W HP Power Supplies (flex-slot, so works with Gen6-Gen8)
- (x1) CD/DVD Slot (I don't have the DVD drive, but I can rummage through my closet if needed)
- INTEGRATED
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports (Front)
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports (Rear)
- 1 1GB iLO3 Remote Management Port (RJ45)
- 1 VGA Port (Front)
- 1 VGA Port (Rear)
- 1 COM Serial Port
- 2 PS2 slots (for Mouse/Keyboard or a KVM)

DL380 G7 (2) --> 2U
Price --> $300 (This is the price for 16GB of RAM)

- (x2) Intel Xeon E5520 Processors (LGA1366) (with 2 Heat-Sinks)
- Memory Configurations Available (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB) (18 DDR3 memory slots available total)
- (x2) 8 SFF Drive Cage (Holds 16 2.5" SFF Drives Total. SAS or SATA) w/ 4 SAS cables to a Controller
- No RAID Controller Included. To utilize both drive cages, you'll need an HBA or any other SAS controller
- All of the Mini-SAS to Mini-SAS cables that you'll need are included
- (x1) Dual Riser Cage (2x Risers) 1 with two X4 PCI slots and 1 with one X8 slot
- (x2) 1200W HP Power Supplies (flex-slot, so works with Gen6-Gen8)
- INTEGRATED
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports (Front)
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports (Rear)
- 1 1GB iLO3 Remote Management Port (RJ45)
- 1 VGA Port (Front)
- 1 VGA Port (Rear)
- 1 COM Serial Port
- 2 PS2 slots (for Mouse/Keyboard or a KVM)

To finalize this post, I want to stress a few points about the DL380p Gen9's.

- I used these for 1 year to practice for my VMWare certifications
- The PCB's on the Mobos is yellow in color for whatever reason (I'm used to green PCBs from HP hardware)
- The firmware was horribly out of date so I have them flashed to the 2016 firmware with HPE branding, so they now function like brand-new DL380's
- The processors are ES (Engineering Samples) so technically they aren't "For Sale", but rather will be added for free to the purchaser (though that sounds pretty round about...) but will be included and have not hiccuped once since I started using them. Please comment on the thread or message me with ANY questions and I'll respond as quickly as possible
- I have more memory on hand for the DL380p Gen9's, so if a different memory config tickles your fancy (more or less RAM), please let me know

Be sure to test each item via my remote connection offer if you have an doubts about any hardware or specs. All serious buyers who reach out to me will receive my phone number and email address.

I'll take any offers seriously, but with the holiday season coming up I'd like to make whatever deals we make fair for both parties. (If any of you are in Tokyo this Christmas or New Years let me know!)

Last edited:

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
No accusations or anything, but just FYI you probably won't get much interest here from this post. We have had 2 incidents recently with new members posting large non- commercial lots of items that turned out to be the same scammer and ended badly. Your post fits the same pattern, so I'm sure people will probably avoid it.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@SycoPath Yes, unfortunately I followed along with a couple of the recent scam posts (most recently the "Random Hardware" thread.

Luckily I've already been contacted by a few people for several servers and mixed configs.

Also if it means anything, Patrick has my contact information as well as my Knight's Landing chip (plus my home address if he saved the packaging). I'll be doing everything possible to keep any potential buyers from thinking like that, which is why I put the conditions at the top of the post to hopefully ease people's mind. Lastly, if anyone wants to check my eBay account to see my feedback I'd be glad to message that info around too (105 positive reviews with recent feedback and no negative feedback. Like I said, I'm not a commercial seller so I don't have thousands of feedback).

Reactions: wsuff

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Patrick actually referred me to him for a few things so I doubt he's a scammer we also had a very nice conversion last night.

anon_pirate

Nov 23, 2016
"so I doubt he's a scammer"
"I have talked with the seller quite a bit and he does seem reputable however"
With all due respect NSKA, you defended Joshua Prout (Gene Green) to the end (2nd quote). Unless you have actually completed a transaction with folks, suggesting someone is trustworthy or not is rather callous on your part, and may actually be enabling folks to trust a scammer. Please consider not defending scammers, or 'vouching' for folks you have not completed deals with. Otherwise you are actively putting people at risk by providing unsubstantiated feedback.

That being said, my apologies OP. I assume you can provide a safe means for purchase (Paypal Goods & Services) that protects yourself and the buyer, will provide prompt evidence of shipment, and stand behind your goods. It would be a similar disservice for anyone to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: TJ4

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@anon_pirate I think it's wise to be cautious, so props to you. I'm totally fine with posting pictures if that helps. I'll be adding an album via Imgur shortly. Additionally, here's my phone number for anyone that would like to speak to me about my stuff.

(832)797-4575

Houston, Texas - So I'm in the Central Time Zone.

Lastly, yes. John Titor is my username because I thought his story was fun (google it). Call me Steve if you'd like :)

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
With all due respect NSKA, you defended Joshua Prout (Gene Green) to the end (2nd quote). Unless you have actually completed a transaction with folks, suggesting someone is trustworthy or not is rather callous on your part, and may actually be enabling folks to trust a scammer. Please consider not defending scammers, or 'vouching' for folks you have not completed deals with. Otherwise, you are actively putting people at risk by providing unsubstantiated feedback.

That being said my apologies OP. I assume you can provide a safe means for purchase (Paypal Goods & Services) that protects yourself and the buyer, will provide prompt evidence of shipment, and stand behind your goods. It would be a similar disservice for anyone to suggest otherwise.
Actually, I simply didn't blame someone for something no one had proof for. If you look at the thread you'll see the moment I had hard proof i released quite a bit of data on him...

Jun 10, 2015
Toronto, ON, CAN
I'm somewhat interested in the DL320e Gen8 --> 1U @ Price --> $275 if it fits my ESXi needs, given I can find a Xeon E3-1230 v2 sitting around for cheap. Do you have any photos you can forward of the system? Based on HP's site I can see there's a full length and half length version of this model.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@Half Jaw Elite

The DL320e Gen8 is a full length (rack length that is) server.

The DL320e Gen8 v2 is a half-length server.

I actually have (x3) of the Gen8 V2 servers (2 LFF, 1 SFF) that aren't included in this post.

Also I have E3-1230v3 Engineering Sample (ES) that I could include if you're interested.

Jun 10, 2015
Toronto, ON, CAN
@Half Jaw Elite

The DL320e Gen8 is a full length (rack length that is) server.

The DL320e Gen8 v2 is a half-length server.

I actually have (x3) of the Gen8 V2 servers (2 LFF, 1 SFF) that aren't included in this post.

Also I have E3-1230v3 Engineering Sample (ES) that I could include if you're interested.
What are the key differences between the full length and half length models? Different cpu revisions/pci-e support or is it just a case size thing? And what are the restrictions on the ES E3-1230 model? I thought those engineering samples aren't for sale?

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@Half Jaw Elite

To make sure I was correct, I just now opened both models.

- The full length (I'll just call it the Gen8) has a 350W powersupply and the half-length (I'll call it the Gen8 v2) has a 300W powersupply

- Both models have 4 DDR3 memory slots, Both have 1 CPU socket and heat-sink, and both have a double sided PCI riser which includes one X16 slot and one X8 slot, and both come with a slim DVD drive slot

- The "Gen8" has 4 large form-factor HDD slots (3.5"), the "Gen8 v2" has either 2 LFF (3.5") HDD slots or 4 SFF (2.5") HDD slots

- The "Gen8" has 4 hot-swapable fans | The "Gen8 v2" has 3 non hot-swappable fans that are smaller

- The ES processor that I mentioned has the QSpec of "QE6J" is the ES version of the E3-1230 v3 processor (4 cores | 8 threads | 3.3GHz)

- Yes, ES processors are not sold. They are given to manufacturers of server hardware prior to release to test compatibility etc.. They typically work the same as the officially released processors, but due to them being a "beta" version of the official processor there is no Intel warranty and some ES processors have been known to have issues that the officialy released version don't have. (I've tested mine for about 2 weeks without issue). Technically I wouldn't sell the ES processor, but I would include it for free if you wanted it with the server.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these. I actually really love the Gen8 & Gen8 v2 320e's because of their low power consumption and cheap price. Especially because the both come with iLO4, which is HP's most recent lights-out management interface.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Here's a link with pictures of my rack (and servers for sale), the NIC for sale in this post, and one of the 4GB sticks for sale.

STH (John Titor)

I'll take more pictures of the whole lot of memory once I can get a free moment away from the family! :)

Jun 10, 2015
Toronto, ON, CAN
@Half Jaw Elite

To make sure I was correct, I just now opened both models.

- The full length (I'll just call it the Gen8) has a 350W powersupply and the half-length (I'll call it the Gen8 v2) has a 300W powersupply

- Both models have 4 DDR3 memory slots, Both have 1 CPU socket and heat-sink, and both have a double sided PCI riser which includes one X16 slot and one X8 slot, and both come with a slim DVD drive slot

- The "Gen8" has 4 large form-factor HDD slots (3.5"), the "Gen8 v2" has either 2 LFF (3.5") HDD slots or 4 SFF (2.5") HDD slots

- The "Gen8" has 4 hot-swapable fans | The "Gen8 v2" has 3 non hot-swappable fans that are smaller

- The ES processor that I mentioned has the QSpec of "QE6J" is the ES version of the E3-1230 v3 processor (4 cores | 8 threads | 3.3GHz)

- Yes, ES processors are not sold. They are given to manufacturers of server hardware prior to release to test compatibility etc.. They typically work the same as the officially released processors, but due to them being a "beta" version of the official processor there is no Intel warranty and some ES processors have been known to have issues that the officialy released version don't have. (I've tested mine for about 2 weeks without issue). Technically I wouldn't sell the ES processor, but I would include it for free if you wanted it with the server.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these. I actually really love the Gen8 & Gen8 v2 320e's because of their low power consumption and cheap price. Especially because the both come with iLO4, which is HP's most recent lights-out management interface.
Does these servers come with rail kits for cabinet mounting? I'm also curious what the costs would be to ship it across the border to Canada. My experience tells me UPS would not be a viable option. FedEx or USPS might be better choices but shipping something of that size might force a customs fee I believe.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@Half Jaw Elite

Unfortunately I don't have any rail-kits for these. Since they're so light, I just have them stacked on another server.

Shipping to Canada can be a bit tricky and it is possible there could be a customs fee, but I think you could get the Gen8 v2 servers through without one (since they're really small servers). They are about the size of a large or extra-large pizza box (hope that comparison makes since).

If you were to give me an address near where you live, I could get a USPS quote if you'd like.

toysareforboys

Apr 5, 2016
Hey, I know this post is super old, but I've got a question I was hoping you could help with!

How did you get ES E5-2695v3 to work in DL380p Gen9? I just installed 2 x E5-2667 v4 ES and on boot it says the processor isn't recognized and halts the system. Running 2018.11 bios. Just to test I borrowed a friends single E5-2667 v4 retail (non-ES) and it booted perfectly.

Did you have to hack the microcode in the bios or something?

Let me know please and thanks.

-Jamie M.